House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Errol

Startpage - Anonymous Web Searching

For those looking for a way to avoid the NSA and anyone else tracking internet searches, take a look at - Startpage:

https://startpage.com/uk/

Startpage's position:

* You have a right to privacy.

* Your search data should never fall into the wrong hands.

* The only real solution is quickly deleting your data or not storing them to begin with.

* Since January 2009 we do not record our users' IP addresses anymore.

* We are the first and only search engine to do so.

* Our initiative is receiving an overwhelmingly positive response!

Apparently encrytped email called Startemail might be on the way soon.

What about duckduckgo? Any better or worse than these?

I have tried it occasionally but I didn't like it as much as startpage and ixquick.

Also duckduckgo is a US company while startpage/ixquick is a Dutch company, while that doesn't necessarily mean something, I still tend to trust European Internet companies a bit more than US companies as privacy is generally more respected in Europe than in the US.

I have tried it occasionally but I didn't like it as much as startpage and ixquick.

Also duckduckgo is a US company while startpage/ixquick is a Dutch company, while that doesn't necessarily mean something, I still tend to trust European Internet companies a bit more than US companies as privacy is generally more respected in Europe than in the US.

Does the fact that it has a .com suffix make any difference to anything at all?

Does the fact that it has a .com suffix make any difference to anything at all?

Not really, in this context.

'.com' means that the domain name is registered with companies that could be influenced directly (by law) to shut down that particular domain, but I don't think that could be achieved easily. Other than that, it means that Domain Name directory is located in a jurisdiction of the US authorities (i.e. the USA).

It does not mean that any traffic to the website passes through any US jurisdiction.

However, this sort of thing means that servers can be located anywhere - which also means that, for example, a .co.uk website could be hosted on servers physically located in the USA (and often are)

Ultimately, the TLD ('top level domain, e.g. .com. .co.uk, .ru, etc) is no clue to the location of the operating company, nor the location of any servers.

Registrant:

SURFBOARD HOLDING B.V

ATTN STARTPAGE.COM

care of Network Solutions

PO Box 459

Drums, PA. US 18222

Domain Name: STARTPAGE.COM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Promote your business to millions of viewers for only $1 a month

Learn how you can get an Enhanced Business Listing here for your domain name.

Learn more at http://www.NetworkSolutions.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Beens, Robert ht6fw2ah3x4@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com

Surfboard Holding BV

ATTN STARTPAGE.COM

care of Network Solutions

PO Box 459

Drums, PA 18222

US

570-708-8780

Record expires on 10-Oct-2018.

Record created on 11-Oct-1997.

Database last updated on 23-Jun-2013 06:02:54 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.P27.DYNECT.NET

NS2.P27.DYNECT.NET

NS3.P27.DYNECT.NET

NS4.P27.DYNECT.NET

This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail

correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail or

USPS Certified MailĀ®; all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to

include the registrant's domain name in the address.

For those looking for a way to avoid the NSA and anyone else tracking internet searches, take a look at - Startpage:

snip...

don't kid yourself, GCHQ has already intercepted your search before it has even reached Startpage's servers.

This does sound a little conspiracy like - however wouldn't a site like this set up by the 'authorities' be the perfect tool for filtering all those who were doing suspicious things on the internet they were trying to hide . . .

This does sound a little conspiracy like - however wouldn't a site like this set up by the 'authorities' be the perfect tool for filtering all those who were doing suspicious things on the internet they were trying to hide . . .

Anything is possible, but somehow I doubt it, the people with something to hide (I don't mean privacy conscious people, I mean people who are planning illegal activities) use Tor, and with Tor they can use any search engine including Google as Tor makes them basically untraceable (as long as they combine Tor with other precautions like disabling cookies and other browser identifiers).

Looks like they are pulling their results in from Bing.

Do the same search and the results are the same.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Google have been playing with their engine for the best part of two years and it now has inherent faults. Domain crowding for example with different pages from the same site all listed on page one.

Your privacy is under attack!

Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms, the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers, government officials, black-hat hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private search data.

Google always said they did this to improve the search experience for the end user. We now know they had a far more nefarious reason to do this.

Is giving up personalised results a reasonable price to pay for absolute privacy?

the issue of metadata trawling is not about what you search for, but where you start from and where you end up.

All trackable by the unique coding in your MAC...every network device has one.

Thats how they track spammers and virus makers, although one would think the NSA could help put a halt to both nuisances at a stroke...if they werent intent on spying on Political opponents to the incumbants and had the interests of the taxpayers at heart.