House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Super Moon! Tonight And Sunday

Cloudy now but hopefully ok tomo :)

'Bigger and brighter supermoon' to light up night sky

he night sky is set to be illuminated later by what will appear to be a much bigger and brighter Moon.

The so-called "supermoon" occurs when the Moon reaches its closest point to earth, known as a perigee full moon.

The effect is to make the Moon seem 14% bigger and 30% brighter than when it is furthest from the planet

And ignore the miserable git and have a look for yourself:

However Marek Kukula, public astronomer at the Royal Observatory Greenwich, said people should not expect the supermoon to look that much bigger than normal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23013393

No, but if you jump in the air towards the moon when the super moon is on then you will hover in the air for a slight amount longer due to the increased gravitational attraction.

If I use a trampoline, will I reach the L1 Lagrange point?

If I use a trampoline, will I reach the L1 Lagrange point?

so, you are on a giant space station, and it is rotating slowy so that people on the inside of the Rim feel 1G of force off the rim and can walk around.

What happens if they jump up or lose contact with the ground/rim?

so, you are on a giant space station, and it is rotating slowy so that people on the inside of the Rim feel 1G of force off the rim and can walk around.

What happens if they jump up or lose contact with the ground/rim?

In the absence of any other mass exerting a significant gravitational pull, any person on the inside of the rim will experience the 1G because their mass constantly is moving tangential to the rim, and is constantly being pushed by the rim into new tangents.

A person jumping from the rim 'vertically' (i.e. towards the centre of the station) will therefore be moving in a direction which is a combination of two vectors:

1 ) That of the tangent the instant they jumped;

2 ) what was 'vertical' the instant they jumped.

The result will be that they will move along a chord between two points on the rim.

However, as the rim is rotating as they do this, it will rotate 'under' them to the other end of the chord as they are jumping.

The result would be that they land on the same spot on the rim that they jumped from.

To them, and to any other observer travelling on the rim, it would appear that they had jumped up and down on the inside of the rim.