House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

The Nostalgia Thread

ok this thread will either die or take on a life of it's own :ph34r:

Regardless I wanted to post some of the things I recall from my childhood in England, and maybe hear from anyone who shares those memories.

I had a horrible time in the 80's in many ways, but I can now look back and accept it as part of my personal history. School sucked in a major way, but the highlight of the day was getting home and watching some favourite shows while stuffing my face with crisps and hot chocolate (spoiling my appetite for dinner).

One of the shows I loved was Hartbeat...

I also enjoyed The Wombles...not sure if these were actually re-runs. Some shows may have been shows in the 70's originally, but were shown again in the 80's. I remember buying some small Wombles figures from Owen Owen (when it still existed!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCf_PpDUTdA

A show I really did like was The Tomorrow People. This must have been a re-run because the show was made in the mid-80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzTWxjdWPU

more to follow.... :)

Good old ZX81. Everyone else seemed to have a ZX Spectrum :blink:

sinclair_zx81.jpg

And while my class mates all upgraded to Commodore 64s, I got a Vic 20 <_<

vic20.jpg

Ah, the ZX81. I've watched Micromen a few times and it does capture what it was like to be into computers at this time. What it doesn't stress, though it does cover, is that Clive Sinclair's real genius was brinnging in the product at under £100, this meant that I, as a child without much money, could save for a year and buy it. The BBC Acorn at £299 (IIRC) was totally unaffordable.

Micromen also has some period TV programme clips that really help the atmosphere.

Getting in first that I'm not that old but black and white comedies: Laurel and Hardy, Will Hay, Norman Wisdom. These were regular staples of the schedules through the 80s and just don't get on TV anymore.

Isn't it a beauty? Endless hours of fun learning how to program it (never mind the games). :wub:

1024px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

And this was my favourite toy before I got the Spectrum:

Again endless hours of fun building well organised cities...

800px-Lego_Chicago_City_View_2001.jpg

The world ended when Lego took over Meccano's mantle. The end of our engineering heritage. ;)

Is meccano dead? Oh no!

... hmmmm ...

t'internet seems to think it still exists, but may have been severely dumbed down judging by the pics.

The world ended when Lego took over Meccano's mantle. The end of our engineering heritage. ;)

Well it was a bit challenging. My brother had a set around 1971, and for a seven year old to start bending bits of metal and adding motors etc. you would need an engineering degree these days. Trying to build up board games like Haunted House by Denys Fisher or Mousetrap by ideal was about as challenging as I wanted.

Well it was a bit challenging. My brother had a set around 1971, and for a seven year old to start bending bits of metal and adding motors etc. you would need an engineering degree these days. Trying to build up board games like Haunted House by Denys Fisher or Mousetrap by ideal was about as challenging as I wanted.

It was really small engineering without welding or soldering for wannabe mechanics and engineers rather than an all-round toy. I see stands at town shows where adults have built amazing moving Heath Robinson machines from it. I'm always impressed but it's not really for me, changing an alternator is quite satisfying but I don't know that I'd do it for fun.

I'll go for bad TV nostalgia:

• Anything by the Childrens Film Foundation - patronising badly acted tosh
  • Anything featuring kids you wanted to slap from the Sylvia Young stage school. And this means you Rodney Trotter ("Our Show")
  • Unbelievably badly dubbed foreign guff - french serials, east european cartoons
  • Santa Barbara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_%28TV_series%29 like Acorn Antiques but without the production values

My generation was probably the first to get the newly-imported mental disorders like AHDD straight out of the US.

No wonder early 90s kids were getting diagnosed with all this stuff when they were buzzing on Nerds.

Nerds_%28candy%29.jpg

I'll go for bad TV nostalgia:

[*]Anything by the Childrens Film Foundation - patronising badly acted tosh

Can't agree. There was this one film where kids team up with some old codger to arm radio controlled planes to shoot down criminal toy planes being used for drug smuggling. They were all great, though

Can't agree. There was this one film where kids team up with some old codger to arm radio controlled planes to shoot down criminal toy planes being used for drug smuggling. They were all great, though

Can I just check that you weren't in them or closely-related to anybody who was in them?

Can I just check that you weren't in them or closely-related to anybody who was in them?

Maybe I've misremembered them. I'm going to scour youtube to see if they measure up to my memories.

On the computer ftont, this is the first computer the family actually owned. The CPC never got the same love as Beebs, C64s and Speccys - loved it though. My Mum was convinced that plugging the computer into a telly was naff so this one had a monitor included and a crappy 3" disc drive.

Amstrad_CPC_6128.png

Some years on my Mum wanted a crap Amstrad IBM clone but 11 year old me basically went mental on Nerds until we got this baby.

A show I really did like was The Tomorrow People. This must have been a re-run because the show was made in the mid-80's

Indeed I remember the original version around 1971. And it was all a bit confusing. The palm of a hand gradually unfolding on the titles is about my best memory of this one. I think you actually look back more fondly on some of the adult programmes you watched when you were young. In my case the ATV Thriller series from 1973-76 by Brian Clemmens. Poorer immitations came out later in Hammer House of Horror and Armchair Thriller around the early 80s.

This is the best moment in TV history. I saw it when it aired and kids at school on Monday thought it was the most amazing thing they'd ever seen. Legend.

I saw it afterwards but live it must have been amazing.

After having "Get out of your lazy bed" inflicted on them for weeks a nation cheered when Matt Bianco received similar treatment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkB25V_ow8

I didn't see that live either :(

Though I did hear the Gotcha Oscar for DLT live as my sister came and got me to listen as it was so funny, it was live on the DLT show and featured a trivia quiz scored like snooker, and we didn't find out it was a set-up until the end.

Edit: Youtube sticking the "s" in again, naughty them.

I had a book called something like ' the young naturalists handbook' that had taxidermy instructions in. My parents wouldn't let me take it up as a hobby though.

I'd love a copy of it now. The description of doing caterpillars was ace. Cut a slit and roll them out and then inflate them again. :)

Guest eight

And while my class mates all upgraded to Commodore 64s, I got a Vic 20 <_<

I got a C+4. Hats off to anybody who knows what it is.

One thing I am getting nostalgic for is the early days of the internet. I'm thinking about making a 90's vintage retro website, but I'm worried people won't "get it" and just think I've got really rubbish HTML skillz.

Guest unfunded_liability

This is the best moment in TV history. I saw it when it aired and kids at school on Monday thought it was the most amazing thing they'd ever seen. Legend.

Then this has to be the second best moment in live TV history, saw it live:

Guest eight

Then this has to be the second best moment in live TV history, saw it live:

I have flashblock installed so have to click on the embedded links to see what they are.

For some reason I was expecting one of them to be of Les Dawson's untimely end.

I had a book called something like ' the young naturalists handbook' that had taxidermy instructions in. My parents wouldn't let me take it up as a hobby though.

I'd love a copy of it now. The description of doing caterpillars was ace. Cut a slit and roll them out and then inflate them again. :)

I had that one, I thought it was brilliant if dated. I remember it recommended buying a shirt with an attached collar for nature expeditions.

I have flashblock installed so have to click on the embedded links to see what they are.

For some reason I was expecting one of them to be of Les Dawson's untimely end.

How did he die or do you mean Tommy Cooper?