House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

porca misèria

Visiting Swansea

Swansea's a long way to go for just a meeting. So I'm thinking I'll stay overnight, and spend a while touristing.

Any recommendations for things to do/see? Places to eat? Do I just book the Premier Inn for a bed, or is there some unmissable alternative?

Not planning a really long stay, so don't want to travel outside the city - e.g. to the Gower. We have some pretty similar country around here on the Devon and Cornwall coasts, anyway.

If I were you I'd stay in the vlllage providing the price is right, nice gym, sauna and pool to use...

Get an ice cream in Joes Ice Cream parlour

..... Thats about it really!

Swansea's a long way to go for just a meeting. So I'm thinking I'll stay overnight, and spend a while touristing.

Any recommendations for things to do/see? Places to eat? Do I just book the Premier Inn for a bed, or is there some unmissable alternative?

Not planning a really long stay, so don't want to travel outside the city - e.g. to the Gower. We have some pretty similar country around here on the Devon and Cornwall coasts, anyway.

Stay in Cardiff if your coming from devon ,if you take the Gower and the local beaches out of the equation theres not much left from a tourist's point of view

I can confirm it's south.

As Tubbs said: "There is a Swansea!"

The question seemed a little strange. Yes the starting point is south, but in the absence of a ferry across the Bristol Channel I'll have to travel via Bristol Parkway.

Can you delay the trip until it becomes the City of Culture. It's only a matter of time. B)

It already has been in the 1990s.

I wrote a long response about a fortnight ago for another poster. The city centre is awful now - been completely destroyed so can't see why you wohld come for that.

Village hotel is the place if you want the city or perhaps the Marriot or the Dragon hotels. Chain things that you find in any city.

The question seemed a little strange. Yes the starting point is south, but in the absence of a ferry across the Bristol Channel I'll have to travel via Bristol Parkway.

If you were coming from the North I would have advised to drive through the interior on the way back. There are some excellent roads and great views, if you like that sort of thing.

If you were coming from the North I would have advised to drive through the interior on the way back. There are some excellent roads and great views, if you like that sort of thing.

I agree, I once (~20-25 years ago) took the Swansea to Crewe train, that went right through inner Wales, it was a very scenic train ride, well worth it.

I think this is it (but at the time it went to Crewe if I'm not mistaken, or maybe it was actually Shrewsbury, can't remember):

http://www.heart-of-wales.co.uk/

Anyway this web site tells you all you could do in Swansea:

http://visitswanseabay.com/

On the train, he'll have lovely views of Bridgend and Port Talbot instead. He's in for a treat.

Do give my folks a wave as you steam out of Bridgend

I agree, I once (~20-25 years ago) took the Swansea to Crewe train, that went right through inner Wales, it was a very scenic train ride, well worth it.

I think this is it (but at the time it went to Crewe if I'm not mistaken, or maybe it was actually Shrewsbury, can't remember):

****** that id rather blat up the 449 and M50 at a ton, thanks.

****** that id rather blat up the 449 and M50 at a ton, thanks.

I think you are missing the point of that train ride: the entire purpose was to enjoy the beautiful scenery during the journey, not to get to Crewe or Shrewsbury as quickly as possible... :rolleyes:

Heh. Another line (and yes, I can well believe it's scenic).

I've travelled the scenic line from Newport to Shrewsbury and beyond, via Abergavenny, Hereford, Ludlow, etc. Didn't realise there was one from Swansea. But it's not relevant to me now.

I'm getting rather negative feedback here: nothing in the city, right? So don't plan for more than a couple of hours outside of meeting/eating/sleeping, just to take in being somewhere different. Is there not even some kind of literary shrine to Wales's most celebrated bard since Taliesin?

(I did once cycle through Swansea, but that time I headed west to the Gower. And I have traveled that railway line not merely to Swansea, but as far as the ferry port at Fishguard. But that was long, long ago).