House Price Crash Forum

Locksmiths

Trampa501

HOLA441
HOLA442

Last time I use their services, even if I foolishly lock myself out of the flat again...

£70 for a 5 second job.... :angry: (I know it's the call-out element as well but ffs)

Next tine I'll pay the local tea-leaf.

Its not the call out element...it`s knowing how to do it, that you pay for.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Last time I use their services, even if I foolishly lock myself out of the flat again...

£70 for a 5 second job.... :angry: (I know it's the call-out element as well but ffs)

Next tine I'll pay the local tea-leaf.

I'd get a better lock so that next time it takes longer.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Just remember how you locked yourself out and make sure you don't do it again.

Leave a key with a trusted neighbour or friend?

Self locking doors without the aid of a key are an accident waiting to happen. These fail safe ideas, lest you forget to lock up, usually end up with more stress than they are worth.

And don't get me on burgalr alarms. Again for all the bloody stress you would be better being burgled once in a while, if indeed they make any difference. Had my inherited one de-activated and now I can sleep easily at home and not worrying if the bloody thing is going to go off when we are away.

HOLA448

Self locking doors without the aid of a key are an accident waiting to happen. These fail safe ideas, lest you forget to lock up, usually end up with more stress than they are worth.

And don't get me on burgalr alarms. Again for all the bloody stress you would be better being burgled once in a while, if indeed they make any difference. Had my inherited one de-activated and now I can sleep easily at home and not worrying if the bloody thing is going to go off when we are away.

Are there any stats comparing the frequency of burgalry among those who do and those who don't lock their front doors.

It must be akin to the herd immunity of vaccination.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

A bent paperclip gaffer-taped to an electric toothbrush and one half of a set of tweezers will get you into any Yale lock. ;)

The guy basically used a flexible piece of perspex. I'm going to practise this technique for future mishaps.

HOLA4412

Just remember how you locked yourself out and make sure you don't do it again.

Leave a key with a trusted neighbour or friend?

I live in London.

Normally not a problem, but my partner is currently abroad, and I left my mobile in the flat too.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

But the trouble with that is you have to wait outside your flat for three days until it turns up. ;)

There is that :lol:

I read about bump keys on a thread in HPC Off-Topic, had a go at making one with a file and an old key and tried it on a couple of my own locks. Unfortunately, they work as billed. Obviously, there's no such thing as 100% security, even with higher-end locks but anyone relying on simple pin tumbler locks isn't even making it difficult for criminals.

HOLA4416

It never rains but it pours...

This was a problem last year but it had died off...

A flood of water started coming through the bathroom and passage ceilings. I had no way of contacting the flat above (each floor has security door), so I had to call the Fire Brigade to come around.

Now I'm forbidden to use the lights, and the place is stinking wet. At least we rent the place, so any damage repair is down to landlord, who will no doubt invoice the guy above. He's overflowed the bath without realising.... D'oh....

So in one week I've had the kitchen fluoro light break down (easy enough to replace), a washing machine pack up (I'm still hoping I can get this working, but it's not something fixed by a filter clean like last time), and I've locked myself out. Now this.... I may move to living in a tent... :unsure:

HOLA4417

Someone was saying that they paid for an alarm, some window bars and special locks, then found to have inadvertently locked themselves out of their own self made fortress.....some 'lock out' guy they called came to the rescue to get them back into their locked out home....used a thin piece of plastic and a slight bit of force.....win, win.

What if you have very little and are highly insured? ;)

HOLA4418

Either make yourself a bump key and keep it handy along with a knocker tool or cut a spare key and place it either in your car or with a nearby relative.

Pain in the **** in the shorter term but pays dividends in the longer. £3.75 if that to get a key cut and 10 minutes of your time in organising its placement.

Or pay over your dosh to your friendly locksmith with a smile. It pays to plan ahead.... Most cannot or will not.

HOLA4419

I always keep my house keys and car keys together, sometimes it can be a pain carrying my car key around on walks but it saves such aggro as leaving my house keys at work.

Keys are awful things, I used to have a detachable clip for my car key, so I could separate them. This meant I more easily fumbled and dropped my car key when loading etc and a colleague said to me: "Lucky there wasn't a drain around... that's where they usually end up"... parked up outside my girlfriends house that evening, key... "Plop!"... Straight into freezing, smelly, deep drain. Took me around 45mins of fishing to get it (and I left a big pile of crap I'd pulled out on the pavement for the council), could barely feel my arms most of the time :( Some good came from it though, my girlfriend was right there with me arms in the freezing black water... knew she was a keeper then :)

Self locking doors are also pretty bad. I've locked myself out of a few offices while on site for work, as people normally bugger off and leave me, when I need to go to the loo etc. I end up being locked out. Once I got locked in a reception vestibule, the only guy remaining had buggered off god knows where leaving me to it, I'd finished and tried to leave only to find the main door locked, and the door behind me locked its self. Had to climb through the little reception window and finally found another way out of the mill complex!

Archived