House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sombreroloco

German Motorways Literally Blow Up

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130620-50415.html

Bulging roads in the heat caused traffic problems in other parts of the country on Wednesday, wrote the paper, including along stretches of the A8 near Karlsruhe and A7 in Baden-Württemberg, as well as the A3, A7 A92 and A94 in Bavaria.

Experts spoke of “blow-ups” where concrete slabs lining the road burst open in the extreme temperatures.

“It's unusual that this is occurring so quickly in so many places today,” Josef Seebacher, spokesman for the southern Bavaria motorway authority told the paper. “All drivers are urgently requested to drive very carefully on all stretches of concrete.”

I lived on a Barratt estate as a kid in the mid 90s, and there were a couple of hot summers then. The tarmac melted as quickly as it set!

During a hot spell a few years ago I recall the gritting trucks being dragged out to scatter rock dust onto the melting tarmac to stop it sticking to everything.

I lived on a Barratt estate as a kid in the mid 90s, and there were a couple of hot summers then. The tarmac melted as quickly as it set!

ha ha, I remember going down on the 'new' Barratt estate near where we lived in the mid 80s. We spent most of the summer poking our fingers into tarmac that hadn't set. Place looked ok then, it's a bona fide shit hole now.

During a hot spell a few years ago I recall the gritting trucks being dragged out to scatter rock dust onto the melting tarmac to stop it sticking to everything.

Hot spell???

Were you dreaming?