House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Question Time - Discussing Housing Bubble Now

OMG Ed Davey QT says if we keep house prices high (and out of reach) builder will build more! (So long as we subsidise them I imagine!). We are seriously ******ed! Hodge asserts we need more shared equity

OMG Ed Davey QT says if we keep house prices high (and out of reach) builder will build more! (So long as we subsidise them I imagine!). We are seriously ******ed! Hodge asserts we need more shared equity

Unbelievable. "They won't want to build an asset that's falling in value!"

1371767550[/url]' post='909344325']

boris blustering fool

Boris was embarrassing. Completely out of his depth, and he had no conviction in what he was saying because he knew it was a sham and a lie.

Joint first on London housing with the previous mayor, Ken Livingston.

What an achievement. dry.gif

Unbelievable. "They won't want to build an asset that's falling in value!"

By the end of its model life a Ford Model T cost half what it did when it was introduced. I guess Henry Ford was just an idiot. Our housebuilders on the other hand, despite teetering on bankruptcy most the time, are known globally for their foresight...

As we all know - the main cost of building these houses is the land.

And these large builders buy land continually and 'bank' it - during both peaks and troughs.

So if they had any sort of sensible business plan (which they clearly don't') they would not be too bothered if the final sale price for these houses went down or up. Overall it should even out.

If using land 'banked' from the mid 90's - even with increased building costs AND reduced selling prices - they should still be able to make as much profit as houses they were building and selling in 2007.

That's unless they are complete idiots of course.

Edited by ccc

They bought land are using it as if it were a piece of gold.....nobody gives a poo about gold but they do about needing a place to live and they know it.....some of them borrowed to buy the land and will have to borrow to build on it.....maybe they should be charged to keep it standing idle, might get some action going. ;)

They bought land are using it as if it were a piece of gold.....nobody gives a poo about gold but they do about needing a place to live and they know it.....some of them borrowed to buy the land and will have to borrow to build on it.....maybe they should be charged to keep it standing idle, might get some action going. ;)

Seems labour have such ideas.

Whether they actually mean it or not - another matter.

bbc

I nearly blew a gasket watching that. Utter fools

Seems labour have such ideas.

Whether they actually mean it or not - another matter.

bbc

Something has to be done, it doesn't matter who does it.........I am sure low interest rates and a growing demand for housing means there is no cost involved in hoarding land, land people could be buying and using, creating more jobs and growth......no action = no growth....because waiting for inflation to push up prices would be like shooting yourself in the foot in more ways than one. ;)

I nearly blew a gasket watching that. Utter fools

Not at all. They are acting entirely selfishly. That is what politicians do. They could give 2 tosses about the public.

Now on IPlayer, from 49:00 , Question Time.

I have to agree, all the panellists were just blustering. They didn't mention the simple truth, that housing costs, both mortgaged and rented have become unaffordable. In London some boroughs have nearly 50% of residents supported by housing benefit. This is becoming the new benefit scandal. Only this morning reported rents rose in May-April, link.

Just this last week I had the misfortune of knowning someone who has "invested" their retirement lump in BTL. :angry:

The main 'question' for Question Time is why anybody still watches it.

It is the dullest, most predictable and phony 'Vox Pop' program on the TV with pre-selected topics chosen to steer and manage the 'National Debate' (whatever that is).

It is TV designed to stop the people of the UK emulating those in Turkey or Brasil.

You will find more truth and honest political debate in a 1960s era back issue of Pravda or TASS.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

It is the dullest, most predictable and phony 'Vox Pop' program on the TV with pre-selected topics chosen to steer and manage the 'National Debate' (whatever that is).

It is TV designed to stop the people of the UK emulating those in Turkey or Brasil.

You will find more truth and honest political debate in a 1960s era back issue of Pravda or TASS.

Oh come on, Ed Davey's describing how arming the Syrian rebels was a bluff, but we can't let Syria's regime know its a bluff, on national television?

Melanie Philips anti-Iranian veneer becoming so thin that her pro-Israeli core was obvious to all?

Comedy gold :lol:

London is officially bonkers.

The house next door has gone on the market for an unimaginable sum - a clear 40% over what I expected the house to go for. I collared the agent and asked if he was having a giraffe: his view was that it will be gone in a month, and on the basis that it was gone in a month, were we interested in selling ours? We'll see, but he had no reason to ******** me. This is for a house that has been refitted (shoddily) in a fairly average area of Hackney. 4 very poky bedrooms, garden, no parking.

If they do get what they are expecting to get for it, then our place has "made" more money in the last 3 years than I have by going out to work - especially as the house's "earnings" are tax free, and I pay 50%....

Absolute lunacy. No idea what is driving it.

Loves how Tessa Jowls emphasised it was a global financial crisis imposed on Labour...but later how London was the centre of the financial world. :lol::unsure:

Edited by cica

Theres always the hope someone might get in a decent question before dimble-twat cuts them off.

I remember a couple of years ago some chap wanted the panels comments on the shadow banking system. Needless to say dimble-twat quickly silenced them and changed the topic to Katie Price's newest boob job or something.