House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Ukip Leader Nigel Farage Compares Scots Nationalist Elements To Edl

link

The UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has compared elements of Scottish nationalists to the far-right English Defence League.

On Tuesday, the politician visited Aberdeen ahead of the Donside by-election, which will be held on Thursday.

UKIP is fielding candidate Otto Inglis in the contest, which is taking place following the death of SNP MSP Brian Adam after a battle with cancer.

Mr Farage said in an interview with STV’s Political Editor Bernard Ponsonby that some of the roots of the SNP were founded in anti-Englishness.

The 49-year-old, who was barricaded inside an Edinburgh pub during a media conference last month, also compared parts of the Scottish nationalist movement to the EDL.

He said: "We have elements of this in England - we have an English Defence League. I would be in absolutely no doubt in my total condemnation of them and their methods.

"So there's an edge to Scottish nationalism that I think is rather unpleasant."

Asked if it was appropriate to draw comparisons between elements of Scottish nationalism with the EDL, Mr Farage replied: "I think it probably is, yes."

When questioned over previous statements regarding the SNP being anti-English, the UKIP leader said: "If you go back to before, way back into the '30s and '40s, some of the people that founded it were profoundly anti-English."

Asked if he could name one, he replied: "No I can't, but I've read the history of the party."

Hmm...

Remember that time Alex Salmond torched a mosque, or attacked blacks and Muslims? No.

Difference is Farage.... SNP do not support you and desire no stake in your 'political movement', while the EDL does very much so.

Reality is optional for Farage. I suppose visiting Scotland and insulting the electorate there is how he rationalises his more than £2 million in expenses, on top of a £70k salary.

Complete plonker.

I was recently talking to a professor from a scottish university, he told me that the vice chancellor of their university had recently given a speech to a room full of businessmen and had made some very mild remarks that independence could be bad for scottish universities as they would not have access to UK govt research funding. She got back to her hotel room to find her phone nearly glowing red with missed calls from Alex Salmon. Apparently he had been informed that she was making such comments and that it was unscottish and she should remember who woud oversee edutional spending adter independence. obviously he had his spies in the room....

I happen to think that Alex Salmon personifies all that is worse about British politics and that he knows that some of his appeal to the electorate lies in bigotry

i agree that he is not the EDL but some of his supporters arent that far off

I was recently talking to a professor from a scottish university, he told me that the vice chancellor of their university had recently given a speech to a room full of businessmen and had made some very mild remarks that independence could be bad for scottish universities as they would not have access to UK govt research funding. She got back to her hotel room to find her phone nearly glowing red with missed calls from Alex Salmon. Apparently he had been informed that she was making such comments and that it was unscottish and she should remember who woud oversee edutional spending adter independence. obviously he had his spies in the room....

I happen to think that Alex Salmon personifies all that is worse about British politics and that he knows that some of his appeal to the electorate lies in bigotry

There are nutters in all walks of life. It would be foolish to claim there is not an element of the SNP support that is anti-English. Very little evidence of it actually in the SNP. Compare this to the amount of racists in UKIP that have been outed recently.

Salmond is a VERY canny politician, perhaps that's why you have a low opinion of him, but he's the best man to deliver independence for Scotland. After we achieve that, all bets are off, and the fight to rid Scotland of career politicians begins!

As for UKIP in Scotland, shall we wait and see the results of the by-election before we spend time considering their place in Scottish politics? If they poll a bigger percentage of votes than the Lib Dems got last time (6%) then I'm willing to concede that they're opinions are worth considering.

By the way, I'm delighted to hear that Alex has his ear to the ground, and is willing to personally discuss differences of opinion with university vice-chancellors. I doubt very much that he would stoop to thinly-veiled threats tho, he's far to canny for that!

There are nutters in all walks of life. It would be foolish to claim there is not an element of the SNP support that is anti-English. Very little evidence of it actually in the SNP. Compare this to the amount of racists in UKIP that have been outed recently.

Salmond is a VERY canny politician, perhaps that's why you have a low opinion of him, but he's the best man to deliver independence for Scotland. After we achieve that, all bets are off, and the fight to rid Scotland of career politicians begins!

As for UKIP in Scotland, shall we wait and see the results of the by-election before we spend time considering their place in Scottish politics? If they poll a bigger percentage of votes than the Lib Dems got last time (6%) then I'm willing to concede that they're opinions are worth considering.

By the way, I'm delighted to hear that Alex has his ear to the ground, and is willing to personally discuss differences of opinion with university vice-chancellors. I doubt very much that he would stoop to thinly-veiled threats tho, he's far to canny for that!

What i found disturbing about the anecdote is that the VC was encouraged in the name of scottish nationalism not to discuss truths with interested parties - thats all.

What i found disturbing about the anecdote is that the VC was encouraged in the name of scottish nationalism not to discuss truths with interested parties - thats all.

Fair enough, but you posted that the VC opined that independence could have an effect on university funding. It was an opinion, not a truth. As such, open to discussion?

How does her suggesting to a group of businessmen that independence would be a bad thing, differ from Salmond calling her personally to suggest that she is wrong?

As you might guess, I'm no supporter of Salmond, but he does seem to play the political game far better than most UK politicians, and he has no fear of discussing any subject with anybody. Can the same be said of anyone else on the political stage?

Most UK universities are hurting for money. Enrolments down, government funding industry endowments down.

Scotland independence certainly cannot make this any worse, as Scotland will have its own revenue streams.

The VC's mistake was to front unsubstantiated rhetoric to a public forum; very unprofessional behaviour and perhaps an overtly political statement.

Regardless of what you think of Salmond, he's able to run rings around Westminster's best, and as per usual, English folk are completely out of touch with the Scottish community.

Farage is a kunt; a greasy front man for a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, nationalist party.

Their manifesto is out to lunch and they campaign using American style fear, intimidation, and name calling.

Vote for him at your peril.

I agree about farage...

I am a prof at a Russell group university, I am informed by people who know that the top of the Russell group and Oxbridge are doing better financially than they have for years out of the new system. In fact I was recently on a committee to sketch out plans for a new £500m engineering building here.

If Scotland becomes independent in the EU then it will have to educate English folk for free and find ways to fund the research which it wins more than its fair share of.

I know Scottish/welsh academics - they are very worried about it.

Ill add, that as I understand it, the meeting was along the lines of a swot discussion and aw mentioned what she did as a potential threat, you, like salmon, are clearly unhappy with this particular threat being discussed on ideological grounds..

Ill add, that as I understand it, the meeting was along the lines of a swot discussion and aw mentioned what she did as a potential threat, you, like salmon, are clearly unhappy with this particular threat being discussed on ideological grounds..

Sorry, your replies are confusing me.

Why would Welsh universities be worried about the fallout of Scottish independence?

You mention Oxbridge universities do well out of the current setup, how does that help Scottish universities? There is more to Scotland than Edinburgh and Glasgow, although I appreciate that the Russell Group have specific interests in those areas. How does St. Andrews, Robert Gordon, Dundee or Abertay benefit from the current system?

Did this VC mention any strengths or opportunities in this swot discussion? If so what were they? Did Mr Salmond comment on those?

Like Mr Salmond (not salmon btw)I have no problem with a discussion on the pro's and con's of independence, in any area you care to mention. As long as it's a balanced discussion.

Why would a Scottish nation have less to invest, per student, than the rest of the UK? Scottish national finances are in a better state than the UK's, I would argue we would have MORE to invest in each student.

Why would English (not forgetting Irish and Welsh) students flock to Scottish Uni's for an education? Is a Scottish education the envy of the UK? Because it is free? You think a free University education is a bad thing? We will worry about this if it happens, but I certainly don't believe it is a problem that is beyond the great minds ensconced in those universities, if working closely with a Scottish Government.

Research funding. How do US universities fund their research again? Remind me......

Edit: Just re-read your post, Scottish\Welsh academics are worried, not universities. Why are Welsh academics worried?

Edited by AThirdWay

It's awfully simple, Welsh and Scottish assemblies have decided that university education should be free without thinking through how they will actually fund it. I am being told by academics from those universities that their finances are bad as a result

The America universities you mention have colossal endowments and charge even larger fees.

Research is funded by the Research councils, Scottish universities get more out of this per capita than the English- that would have to be compensated for

Do I think university should be free? Yes that is the system I went through, but then only 9% of people went there in my day. In the modern era 40-50% is in my opinion in compatible with high quality graduate education.

It's awfully simple, Welsh and Scottish assemblies have decided that university education should be free without thinking through how they will actually fund it. I am being told by academics from those universities that their finances are bad as a result

The America universities you mention have colossal endowments and charge even larger fees.

Research is funded by the Research councils, Scottish universities get more out of this per capita than the English- that would have to be compensated for

Do I think university should be free? Yes that is the system I went through, but then only 9% of people went there in my day. In the modern era 40-50% is in my opinion in compatible with high quality graduate education.

Ah, wasn't aware that the Welsh also provide free university education.

With regard to Scotland, we are financing free university education at the moment, and with less income than we would have as an independent country (finances are arguable, I know, but I tend to agree with figures that show we are worse off in the UK). It follows that we should be able to continue to do so as an independent nation. I certainly haven't seen any public remarks on tight finances in uni's (no more than usual rather!) but I did see a lot of support when the SNP announced the policy of free education.

I would guess that the finances raised by English students studying in Scotland at the moment is small as a percentage of total income, I don't know the figure, and the loss of that income will need to be financed from somewhere. A small hole to plug, I don't see any reason why it can't be found out of general taxation. Perhaps the money we'll save by not having to pay for a nuclear deterrent we don't want?

There are nutters in all walks of life.

Someone you agree with = canny politician

Someone you don't agree with = fascist

Someone was slagging off Farage for being a nationalist, well, what's the 'N' stand for in SNP? let he without sin etc

Someone you agree with = canny politician

Someone you don't agree with = fascist

Someone was slagging off Farage for being a nationalist, well, what's the 'N' stand for in SNP? let he without sin etc

Yeah, I think the point may be that the nationalists in the SNP are also happy being inter-nationalists. Not something you could say that Farage supports.....

Comparing the elected party in Scotland to the EDL did not help their candidate in the Aberdeen by-election. This highlights the weakness of Farage as a "canny politician". I'm afraid to say he has suddenly become a liability to UKIP, whose message I have some sympathy with.

BTW, I don't agree with much the tory or labour party trot out nowadays, but I certainly don't think they're fascists :rolleyes:

Edited by AThirdWay

BTW, I don't agree with much the tory or labour party trot out nowadays, but I certainly don't think they're fascists :rolleyes:

Not necessarily you but some here have called him that.

What's so good about inter nationalism? It's kinda scary if propaganda these days is making out that opposition to the EU is beyond the pale.

Somehow I doubt Farage will be leaving NATO or arguing against the Commonwealth so it's bunk anyway.

It's kinda scary if propaganda these days is making out that opposition to the EU is beyond the pale.

:lol: Welcome to the world of the SNP.

Take heart! Despite not one newspaper or television channel supporting the SNP, they now form a majority Government in Scotland. If you consider that for a few moments, you'll understand what a fantastic achievement it was.

Imagine..... not one commonly available source of news supporting your political party, and you still get a majority.

UKIP have a real chance South of the border, but with Farage as your front man, your sunk in Scotland. Without his bungling of the campaign, UKIP might have retained their deposit in Donside yesterday.

Edit: Sombreroloco's new thread just goes to prove my my point EUBanana. Drop Farage if you want UKIP to be a real political force to be reckoned with.

Edited by AThirdWay

:lol: Welcome to the world of the SNP.

Take heart! Despite not one newspaper or television channel supporting the SNP, they now form a majority Government in Scotland. If you consider that for a few moments, you'll understand what a fantastic achievement it was.

Imagine..... not one commonly available source of news supporting your political party, and you still get a majority.

Well done. :lol:

I got nothing against the SNP at all. I am surprised that UKIP seems to be trying to go for them north of the border. They'd have been better off cosying up to them if anything IMO.

Edit: Sombreroloco's new thread just goes to prove my my point EUBanana. Drop Farage if you want UKIP to be a real political force to be reckoned with.

I'm not sure about that. I'm quite serious when I say that I have zero issue with tax avoidance, or even tax evasion.

And besides... Winston Churchill did it too. :ph34r:

SNP mopped the floor with UKIP's Monkton... with UKIP losing their deposit... showing that Farage's boisterous foray into Scottish teuchter politics was a welcome as.... a crowd of anti-British placard waving Islamics in England.

Good riddance ya wee jakey bampot! Take your Lord with you too.

Ah, wasn't aware that the Welsh also provide free university education.

It isn't. But it's capped at £3000 per year. This also happens if a Welsh student studies say in Leeds or in London. The Welsh government is basically subsidizing English Universities as such. There are calls by the Conservatives and Plaid Cymru to limit this assistance to students who study at Welsh Universities only. But we're still being ruled by a Labour party which doesn't see anything wrong with subsidizing a brain drain. C*%ts!

Edited by Caius

Anyway, the nonsense that this person was spouting was just another part of what is now being labelled 'Project Fear'. That's pretty much all the 'No' campaign can come up with in the debated relating to the Scottish Independence referendum. It says a lot about the UK state that most of the arguments put forward by the 'Better Together' campaigners are based on fear of the 'unknown'; no pensions, weak military, EU membership, currency problems. The list goes on and on...... Yesterday was the 4th of July with the US celebrating Independence day. They too were told that they wouldn't be able to survive alone. Yes, that's quite true. :-)

I think a couple of dutch (pym fortyn? Theo van gogh?) political figures (or maybe danish) have been murdered by animal rights extremists. The HLS beatings could have easily been murder. Any ideology can be violent at its extremes. Political ideology and violence are independent of one another.