House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

The Quantified Self

Just heard this show on BBC R4 - very critical of the self-measurement movement (30 mins):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02mfzrw

I've read a bit about this, like the idea. The critics get this wrong, I think: they reckon it's a self-obsession that cannot lead to greater knowledge, but what they're missing is that people are prone to telling themselves lies and that properly measured data can cut out the lies and give a realistic assessment of what's being done and what might be changed. In the radio show they talk about Prufrock's constant self-defeating self assessment, but they miss the point that his assessment is always done with false units of measurement.

The difficulty I see is that the measurement seems too much hassle. Plus there's the issue of the data being used by others.

I guess there's a few HPCers interested in this. Any advice?

Quantified Self website: http://quantifiedself.com/

Interesting as a short-term experiment I suppose, not so convinced it's healthy as a way of life.

Reinforces the illusion that there is a permanent "self" to experience/ measure. As a human being, I reckon there are many parts of our experience that we can't measure or quantify. In fact lots that we're not even aware of most of the time because we're too busy thinking.

Sitting in silence is a great way to improve self-awareness ;)

P

Sitting in silence is about removing false measurements.

This method is about establishing true measurements.

I guess it's useful in tracking the kind of stuff your doctor would/should be interested in.

Is it self obsessed? Of course it is - but so are many of us. At the moment it's deeply unattractive to most because of the manual work necessary - only geeks need apply - but that'll end.

It's the start of something big I reckon. Swallow a pill of nanobots or work out how to monitor everything with small amounts of wearable tech, and make it fully automated with some degree of control- ie you're only alerted/nudged when you want to be but perhaps dosed to treat nasties like emerging cancers automatically - and it'll take off massively. Apart from anything, insurance companies everywhere may insist on it.

Is it self obsessed? Of course it is - but so are many of us. At the moment it's deeply unattractive to most because of the manual work necessary - only geeks need apply - but that'll end.

It's the start of something big I reckon. Swallow a pill of nanobots or work out how to monitor everything with small amounts of wearable tech, and make it fully automated with some degree of control- ie you're only alerted/nudged when you want to be but perhaps dosed to treat nasties like emerging cancers automatically - and it'll take off massively. Apart from anything, insurance companies everywhere may insist on it.

Ya, that's the direction.

As far as I can tell the only way to do it now is with a range of apps that focus variously on heart rate/calories/mood etc - ie. not all in one. Plus you're surrendering data for resale.

I'd like to have an all-in-one technology, easy to update, on a single device - and insulated from the data catchers.

I'd like to have an all-in-one technology, easy to update, on a single device - and insulated from the data catchers.

The first couple of bits will come - probably via a phone. The last bit, not a hope, and given how much most share on Facebook - I think you will be in a minority providing it's cheap and sold as a benefit.

The first couple of bits will come - probably via a phone. The last bit, not a hope, and given how much most share on Facebook - I think you will be in a minority providing it's cheap and sold as a benefit.

Living by numbers?

Get it all the time on Facebook to some extent, people go for a walk or run, and tell me how many calories burned and so on, which posted from some kind of phone app.

I am a big believer in this, I think this is very much the future of healthcare; i.e. people using technology to monitor their own health, and the vast amount of knowledge available on the internet to help keep themselves in good shape.

The idea though is not to obsess over it - do some work up front to make sure your stress is as low as possible, your getting good sleep and exercise, and are eating the right stuff. Then monitor these things on a less regular basis.

The NHS is pretty much fecked. Case in point, last November I was briefly pissing blood. I got a scan which showed I had calcium build up in my kidneys and cysts, but not cancer. I was supposed to be sent for a 'metabolic workup'.

Over 6 months later and I've heard nothing. I've pestered the doctor a few times and been told I'm on a waiting list of some sort. All this time after I noticed I was passing blood, I received no advice at all from the NHS on what caused the calcium build up, or what lifestyle changes I should make.

With a service like this, is it any wonder that people are taking their health into their own hands? I haven't listened to the radio programme, but I would guess that some people are probably of the opinion that 'doctor knows best' and that the plebs shouldn't involve themselves in such things. I think this is patronising - knowledge and self awareness is a good thing.

I am going to buy a FitBit flex, which tracks my sleep patterns and movement. There are tools which track the nutrient content of the food you eat, you could buy a blood pressure monitor, a blood glucose monitor to see if there's anything that you eat regularly which is causing your blood glucose to spike too much.

Unfortunatley paying for private blood tests are prohibitively expensive. It seems to be more affordable in the US. If the NHS can't afford to give us all the option of having a full set of blood work done every year (I'm talking vitamin/mineral levels and a hormonal profile), then I think they should subsidise such things for those of us who would pay to have this information.

I recently joined the Quantified Self forums and will be checking them from time to time. It will be very interesting to see what startups form in the next 5 years in this area.

'How Self-Obsessed Are You? Take Our Questionairre in This Week's Magazine"

I'm not really into measuring things about people because everyone is a different shape/size! :blink:

Germans weigh their shit though! :o

Germans weigh their shit though! :o

As you are aware Mr P, I have been thinking about more hygienic ways of helping Fritz weigh his shitz, and have a new idea that I may just have to patent.

A mechanism on the toilet allows the outlet pipe to be shut of before Fritz sitz on the bog, and is automatically released when he flushes away those brown Zeppelins.

Because the outlet pipe is temporarily locked, his Eartha Kitt will cause the fluid level to rise, and how much his Euro-turd displaces can be measured via the gift of a calibrated scale on the inside of the pot.

Thanks to the "XYY-o-matic" - Boris can simply read off the mass of what just came out of his ass.

I reckon I could get on the next series of 'The Apprentice' with this one - Sugar always reckons he can smell what sells...

XYY

Living by numbers?

Get it all the time on Facebook to some extent, people go for a walk or run, and tell me how many calories burned and so on, which posted from some kind of phone app.

As you are aware Mr P, I have been thinking about more hygienic ways of helping Fritz weigh his shitz, and have a new idea that I may just have to patent.

A mechanism on the toilet allows the outlet pipe to be shut of before Fritz sitz on the bog, and is automatically released when he flushes away those brown Zeppelins.

Because the outlet pipe is temporarily locked, his Eartha Kitt will cause the fluid level to rise, and how much his Euro-turd displaces can be measured via the gift of a calibrated scale on the inside of the pot.

Thanks to the "XYY-o-matic" - Boris can simply read off the mass of what just came out of his ass.

I reckon I could get on the next series of 'The Apprentice' with this one - Sugar always reckons he can smell what sells...

XYY

Douglas Adams' method was a lot easier.

Don't forget your receipt

I guess the question is what can they measure compared to a few years ago?

They can't measure blood pressure on these devices, or blood sugar, so it's the same as ever isn't it, a pedometer with GPS, and some not-very-scientific 'sleep tracking' - or am I completely missing the point?

I'm not really into measuring things about people because everyone is a different shape/size! http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blink.gif

Germans weigh their shit though! http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/ohmy.gif

It took me a while to work out what the funny shaped toilet was for when I worked in Germany. Stool inspection, obviously.

You're right in that they don't really seem to have moved on in the last few years. Just prettier charts and apps and such.

Blood sugar...if you're that way inclined the testing machines have come on some. They're actually is one now that sits in your arm and transmits data via Bluetooth so no need to keep pinpricking. Tests bkood as it flows past the probe.

No doubt some day soon they will have a device for blood testing of everything and everything.

P

That could be a little off putting. Sitting at work one day and your fitbit pops up with:

"YOU HAVE AIDS"

It took me a while to work out what the funny shaped toilet was for when I worked in Germany. Stool inspection, obviously.

Yup! :(