House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Shock And Despair As Southend Fails To Make It To Uk City Of Culture Shortlist

You'd have thought having the most HPI in the whole of England would get a town short-listed, but no. Shocking, it really is. I have now excommunicated all my contacts in the town, as I no longer wish to associate with the residents of a place that failed to get recognised for its really extensive cultural way of life, which of course everyone knows about so no need at all for me to post them here.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10494005.Updated__Southend_misses_out_on_UK_City_of_Culture/

SOUTHEND will continue to celebrate its culture despite missing out on being UK City of Culture.

Southend Council has pledged to use its work in applying for the accolade to boost the town’s profile as a leading centre for culture and tourism.

Derek Jarvis, councillor responsible for culture and tourism, said: “While we are disappointed not to have been shortlisted as City of Culture 2017, the bid process has helped us celebrate anew the borough’s fabulous cultural highlights, “We felt we had a terrific bid and a very strong case, but we were up against some extremely tough competition.

The home of laser pen blinding of airline pilots.

It seems it does happen there, I don't have the stats for the rest of the UK but I doubt it comes under the category of a cultural activity

It seems it does happen there, I don't have the stats for the rest of the UK but I doubt it comes under the category of a cultural activity

As Les Patterson would say, "They've got culture coming out of their as$holes."

The only thing cultural about Sarfend is Rossis Icecream.

As Les Patterson would say, "They've got culture coming out of their as$holes."

:D

The only thing cultural about Sarfend is Rossis Icecream.

If you're a fan, they now make it in plastic containers to take home if you've a coolbox and don't live too far away. Some supermarkets, probably Asda in Shoebury, have it in their freezer. Bit far to come perhaps but if you're in town anyway then have a punt on a freezer pack.

On the plus side, Dundee is on the shortlist!

Woo-Hoo!

Is Dundee really that bad? I've driven through many times!

Southend gave us Dr Feelgood, and the "Sarfend Sound"! :blink:

Sarthend is at least warmer.

my cousin used to meet all her Essex boy wannabe gangster boyfriends there until she dropped her standards and hooked up with a banker :D

"It used to be fun, Dad and old Mum

Paddling dahn Sarfend,

But nah it ain't done, never mind chum

Paris is where we spend our ahtings..."

Nope, it's a fantastic place to live. After leaving the army, I chose to move back up here, even though I'd lived in England for many years. Climate is a wee bit chillier mind, but I don't mind that. Actually, its hovering around 21C today, very pleasant! The coast around here is usually around the top of the national list when it comes to hours of sunshine.

People are great, in general! Nightlife is good enough for a 50 year old. Lot's of activities on the doorstep, and less than an hour from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen for larger gigs/theater etc. It's also motorcycling heaven, a big part of our life.

Simply put, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Dundee or Hull ?

Its like choosing between AIDS or cancer.

Nope, it's a fantastic place to live. After leaving the army, I chose to move back up here, even though I'd lived in England for many years. Climate is a wee bit chillier mind, but I don't mind that. Actually, its hovering around 21C today, very pleasant! The coast around here is usually around the top of the national list when it comes to hours of sunshine.

People are great, in general! Nightlife is good enough for a 50 year old. Lot's of activities on the doorstep, and less than an hour from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen for larger gigs/theater etc. It's also motorcycling heaven, a big part of our life.

Simply put, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Sounds better than going round the South Circular! ;):blink:

I too, am an old git with a motorcycle! I don't get it out a lot, because of all the old gits on the road! :blink:

How Hastings ever got mentioned is beyond me, 2nd biggest $hithole on the South East coast, St Leonards on Sea being no.1 ;)

Hastings is still there, to put off French invaders! ;)

Isn't that part of Hastings?

I don't know which bit tries to disassociate from the other the most, having had a business concern there for the last 10 years as far as I'm aware they were two separate towns with their own high streets, I'm willing to accept that I could be wrong though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Leonards-on-Sea

Well i'll be jiggered, you're right :rolleyes:

Dundee or Hull ?

Its like choosing between AIDS or cancer.

Well at least one of those is fun at the time!

By the way, Dundee is at the forefront of the fight against cancer, another reason to be proud of my city.

Cancer Research UK

Bit of a double edged sword to my mind this 'city of culture' thingy and the 'garden festivals' before it.

On the one hand the councillors et al get a load of dosh to spruce the place up a little before it all falls back into disrepair once more.

On the other, you officially become known as the worst sh*thole in the UK not to have won the thing yet.

It's a consolation prize for being generally rubbish, like one of those pupil of the week awards for "Best Effort". That is: still bloody useless but at least they're trying. Hence Liverpool got one.

Well at least one of those is fun at the time!

By the way, Dundee is at the forefront of the fight against cancer, another reason to be proud of my city.

Cancer Research UK

Its not as bad as Aberdeen i admit.

Dundee is pretty good for the surrounding areas. Some cracking places around.