House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scimus

Immigration From An Immigrant's Perspective

It's just seems so easy to scapegoate immigrants for this country's problems when people know so little about how difficult it is to migrate to UK.

I came here as a non-EU 7 years ago, as an exchange student, later got my masters with dinstinction, and found a decent job. The criteria to extend my visa back then was a previous full year's salary of 35k for a person aged under 27 with masters and 40k for a bachelor's. For a person at age 29 the salary threshold is 20k higher.This was the policy before the Tories came in and tightened the immigration rules. I wouldn't have been able to remain in this country if I was born a few months later because the whole visa category was scrapped by the Torries. I now run a small business and last year alone I paid 15k corporation tax to the HMRC let alone income tax. But I still have 3 years to go for indefinite leave application and that makes a total of 10 years.

Not as easy as you would think, is it?

What I'm saying is, with the current legislation, it is impossible for a legal non-EU immigrant to compete for low end jobs. And believe me most will be disgraced to ever be on benefits.

And of course the government is only gonna target non-EU immigration.

It's just seems so easy to scapegoate immigrants for this country's problems when people know so little about how difficult it is to migrate to UK.

I came here as a non-EU 7 years ago, as an exchange student, later got my masters with dinstinction, and found a decent job. The criteria to extend my visa back then was a previous full year's salary of 35k for a person aged under 27 with masters and 40k for a bachelor's. For a person at age 29 the salary threshold is 20k higher.This was the policy before the Tories came in and tightened the immigration rules. I wouldn't have been able to remain in this country if I was born a few months later because the whole visa category was scrapped by the Torries. I now run a small business and last year alone I paid 15k corporation tax to the HMRC let alone income tax. But I still have 3 years to go for indefinite leave application and that makes a total of 10 years.

Not as easy as you would think, is it?

What I'm saying is, with the current legislation, it is impossible for a legal non-EU immigrant to compete for low end jobs. And believe me most will be disgraced to ever be on benefits.

And of course the government is only gonna target non-EU immigration.

Government is well aware that there is no problem with Mon EU immigration, apart from people marrying a new wife,hushand every 2-3 years (now closed I believe)

And the problem with EU free movement is if you're low skilled, your job will go to someone from Poland and then there is a perception of new immigrants doing benefits.

But as usual there is a tiny minority, same with ingenious population who are having a life of riley...

Although, as they started getting older, there are kids and more calls to NHS...

And then there is a lack of vital infrastructure, including housing....

Anyway

I realise that from an immigrant's perspective, it must look very mean spirited of us, griping all the time about immigration, but if we think it is a bad policy from economic, environmental, social and personal perspectives, to the detriment (on average!) of all all parties (except the ruling political and banking classes), what are we supposed to do?

edit: Oh, and generally, it's not the people who have actually jumped through all the hoops that we moan about. It's the ones who get in by "cheating". Should automatically discount you from being british.

I realise that from an immigrant's perspective, it must look very mean spirited of us, griping all the time about immigration, but if we think it is a bad policy from economic, environmental, social and personal perspectives, to the detriment (on average!) of all all parties (except the ruling political and banking classes), what are we supposed to do?

edit: Oh, and generally, it's not the people who have actually jumped through all the hoops that we moan about. It's the ones who get in by "cheating". Should automatically discount you from being british.

Hmm.I doubt any other country would tolerate being swamped by mass immigration to the extent we in the UK have. At least in the US, while immigration may be just as uncontrolled, they aren't overcrowded and can self segregate into communities they are happy to live in.

I don't really care if immigrants don't "feel welcome", as I know damn well if I, along with millions of my countryfolk descended on their country within a short timespan, they wouldn't be welcoming either, and nor would I expect them to. In fact, not being made to' feel welcome would probably be the least of my concerns...

20080519_south_africa_riots_man_burns_23.jpg

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/anti-immigrant-anger-erupts-s-africa

I don't blame you or any other immigrant coming to the UK. If I was living in the s*** hole that is Pakistan or Bangladesh I would get me and my family out of their and over her. It's the left wing liberal idealists and our politicians who I blame for allowing hoards of people into the UK who have absolutely no intention of integrating, have no intention of giving their loyalty to Queen and Country, every intention of taking what they can get, contributing as little as possible, whilst focusing their efforts on marrying their first cousin in Pakistan getting him/her over here and pumping out kids to repeat the cycle.

Prior to 1940 we'd had many waves of immigrants from various trouble spots and every one of those groups integrated into society by adopting the cultural values of the indigenous population and giving their allegiance to Queen and Country. The post 1940 Muslim immigrants will not and cannot integrate because Islam (GOD) commands that they must not integrate; more than that they must resist and fight anyone who is fighting any other Muslim anywhere else in the world.

P.S. You may have gone through a rigorous process of apply to stay her but you wasted your time and money all you need to do is get off the plane with a pregnant wife, give birth here and you and your extended family get instant everything! ! !

I think most people here and most people everywhere in the UK are not getting pi$$ed off at the majority of foreign immigrants as such, but more at the increasingly dysfunctional system in the UK and how it distributes money/jobs/housing. Immigrants are not really to blame for a whole host of economic problems and how the country is mismanaged, but surely them arriving in the low millions within a comparatively small period of time had no bad side effects what-so-ever?

I can see them boosting the economy in the short term, but the policy seems to have hit a wall now.