House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

Bournemouth Councillors Rejected Redevelopment Of A Brownfield Site

Against their own Council Planners' recommendations, Bournemouth Councillors have rejected a redevelopment project (for a 150-bed hotel, more than 100 apartments, restaurants and leisure space), planned for a brown-field city-centre site (currently a temporary car par and a derelict crazy golf course, a 6 acre site), "following concern from people living nearby about noise, and the development not fitting in with the area".

http://www.heart.co.uk/dorset/news/local/redevelopment-plans-winter-gardens/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-22932946

Former hotel site

1787181.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Part of the former crazy golf site:

1641555_643fefb3.jpg

Current car park: http://www.bournemouthdevelopmentcompany.com/development/the-winter-gardens/

Winter-Gardens-Car-Park-441x302.jpg

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Bournemouth, not to far from where I live.

Im not surprised, its greedy nimbys fighting to preserve house prices, which are pretty expensive around the Bournemouth area.

Nimbys shut down a brownfield development in my town too for years, building was supposed to start in 2008, its only just started now, with major concessions and reductions in the amount of homes being built.

The refusal to build on even brownfield sites just shows how ridiculous this is getting.

Good on the councillors for having the guts to say no in the face of intense pressure , We have enough hotels and apartments in Bournemouth . . We have just demolished one planning disaster ... the IMAX building . We do not want another monstrous carbuncle dominating the town centre .Its not about nimbyism its about not letting mammon destroy our beautiful town

Bring back the crazy golf course

Quiet right, it looks to be an area of outstanding natural beauty .... wonder if any of the counsellors live nearby

...seen better infrastructure in so called third world countries ....that's the route NIMBYs will take us...basically corruption and not serving the needs of the area...spiral to the bottom.... :rolleyes:

Good on the councillors for having the guts to say no in the face of intense pressure , We have enough hotels and apartments in Bournemouth . . We have just demolished one planning disaster ... the IMAX building . We do not want another monstrous carbuncle dominating the town centre .Its not about nimbyism its about not letting mammon destroy our beautiful town

Are you high?

Can anyone think if another asset class where ownership confers the feeling of others not to own the same asset in your vicinty? This makes land and property unique. Gold, shares, oil, etc you want others to own it so this pushes up the value of your assets.

Can anyone think if another asset class where ownership confers the feeling of others not to own the same asset in your vicinty? This makes land and property unique. Gold, shares, oil, etc you want others to own it so this pushes up the value of your assets.

Gold and Oil are dug up and used up every day.

We have enough hotels and apartments in Bournemouth

Translation: I already have my house in Bournemouth, screw everybody else.

With any luck the developer will appeal and claim costs too.

I do hope so. These local NIMBYs b@stards deserve to pay for their sickening heinous behaviour. Really disgusting, and very depressing.

From the report the site will be developed they are just having to come to agreement about the size of the buildings, these things can not be rushed through, there will always be the few that will never agree to anything that benefits others but not themselves ......I am sure if a big supermarket owned it, it would be fast tracked through in exchange for a new playground and a traffic calming scheme. ;)

Councillors had deferred a decision on the plans last month amid concerns about the height of the proposed hotel on Cranborne Road.

Developers Planning Solutions Partnership had pledged to lower the hotel frontage.

Revised plans, which also include flats, restaurants and a cinema, were rejected by the council planning board.

The firm's original £150m plans were rejected last year. The new version had been recommended for approval.

The Winter Gardens concert hall closed in 2002 and was demolished in 2006.

Councillor Beryl Baxter who was among those voting against, said it would have affected the "quality of life" of Cranborne Road residents.

"The design of the structure didn't fit with the brief of what that area needs," she said.

I do hope so. These local NIMBYs b@stards deserve to pay for their sickening heinous behaviour. Really disgusting, and very depressing.

Not good for your blood pressure. ;)

Bournemouth, not to far from where I live.

Im not surprised, its greedy nimbys fighting to preserve house prices, which are pretty expensive around the Bournemouth area.

Nimbys shut down a brownfield development in my town too for years, building was supposed to start in 2008, its only just started now, with major concessions and reductions in the amount of homes being built.

Horrible.

And it happens all over the country, all the time.

And it's been happening for many many years...

It's just unbelievable.

The refusal to build on even brownfield sites just shows how ridiculous this is getting.

Exactly.

Quiet right, it looks to be an area of outstanding natural beauty ....

Exactly...

wonder if any of the counsellors live nearby

Not sure the councillors care much either way really. I think they just want to be re-elected, and for that, they listen to the current NIMBY voters, without any ethical considerations, like the younger generation, national interest, etc.

Good on the councillors for having the guts to say no in the face of intense pressure

:lol:

So the councillors were not pressed by the local NIMBY voters??

:lol:

, We have enough hotels and apartments in Bournemouth . .

I think a company planning to build a 150-bed hotel may have done a little feasibility study about it, no?? :unsure:

Besides, they are investing their own money to build it.

We have just demolished one planning disaster ... the IMAX building. We do not want another monstrous carbuncle dominating the town centre .Its not about nimbyism its about not letting mammon destroy our beautiful town

Is this the "monstrous carbuncle dominating the town centre" ??

_67721435_bb539907-b433-4263-b465-b35bb70a0b42.jpg

Just a question: Do you already have a house?