House Price Crash Forum

400,000 Households Avoid Paying For A Tv Licence By Watching Bbc Programmes On Iplayer

Everybody should stop paying until the BBC cuts executive pay and starts putting out some decent programming.

One cannot hold up the network through Top Gear and the David Attenborough library alone.

Shhhh. Some of us are quite happy with the current situation, thank you very much. ;)

If they started charging for catch up services then I'd simply stop watching BBC and go to youtube or other media streaming sites for my films and TV series, but I do rather like having iPlayer....

I'm not a fan of this indirect tax, but three points to consider.

When you see people paying £40-50 a month on Sky packages, it makes the TV license look cheap!

If you genuinely only watch catch-up, aren't you then just shifting your cost from TV license to ISP?

Do you really want to follow the US model, with wall to wall adverts?

Here comes the internet tax.

Yup, it's been said on here for ages.

Hell, the BBC never used to inform you that, if a live streaming was selected, maybe embedded in a news article, that a license was required. The iPlayer does now inform you that a license is required if you watcha live channel.

The language of fee 'avoidance' is pretty cute considering it is perfectly legitimate and is in no way a 'loophole', and even if it is a loophole, it is one which has been merrily facilitated by the corporations themselves. The same could be said of the Beebs radio audiences, some of whom will be enjoying content without paying the TV license.

Thing is though, what sort of internet tax level would be required to fund the Beeb to the standards it enjoys today? Tenner a month per household? Will this simply precipitate the loss of the home internet connection for those that don't need great bandwidth?

Edit to add, I'm surprised it's only 430k households that don't stump up, what's that, 2% or so of households. I think that has the potential to be more like 15-20% without much effort. I've done well over a decade and not missed a great deal. The advent of catchup was an innovation, but even then I watch maybe a programme every other month.

Edited by cheeznbreed

I like the BBC and have a lot of respect for them, they make some excellent programmes especially the radio programmes.....they just waste too much of our money....the licence bill needs to be frozen for a few more years more to make them wake up to the fact that money does not grow on trees....and if push comes to shove people will look for cheaper legal alternatives. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22651126

http://www.sky.com/shop/

£21.50 gets you the basic package with roughly 275 channels.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels

freeview has 50 channels.five BBC.

I don' think ITV or Channel 4 has wall to wall adverts.In fact they both appear to be good value compared to the Beeb.

You still have to pay the TV licence though, as you certainly won't be watching strictly pre-recorded footie, etc!

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
Edited by cashinmattress

Guest eight

You still have to pay the TV licence though, as you certainly won't be watching strictly pre-recorded footie, etc!

BBC are showing the Spain vs Tahiti Confederations Cup match in a couple of days. The license fee might work out at a couple of quid per goal.

Raising the BBC's funding through a net tax would be scandalous. It doesn't even begin to sound like a fair idea when there are literally thousands if not millions of services that people use it to access. All of which would automatically increase in price.

If the BBC don't want people freeloading they should stop pumping it out for free online. Only themselves to blame.

If you genuinely only watch catch-up, aren't you then just shifting your cost from TV license to ISP?

Yes, although I would still be buying the same broadband package regardless so it's not an extra cost personally. And it's still better value considering you get the whole internet with it. ;)

As I've only watched one BBC show in the last 3 months I couldn't care less. Never had an issue with C4 or 5. It's a shame I can't just turn my TV on to watch them.

I'm not a fan of this indirect tax, but three points to consider.

When you see people paying £40-50 a month on Sky packages, it makes the TV license look cheap!

This. Advert-free content is worth every penny.

Interestingly it's the same muppets who constantly bitch and moan about the BBC who are most likely to be paying hand over fist to Murdoch every month.

I don't have a TV in the house and have no intention of getting one so I'm happy with the current situation. But I'd far rather have an internet tax than pollute the BBC experience (on iPlayer or whatever format) with adverts.

TV licence is extortion. I have not signed any contract with the BBC or asked for any services from them, for this reason I will not be sending them any money.

TV licence is extortion. I have not signed any contract with the BBC or asked for any services from them, for this reason I will not be sending them any money.

Fairy muff. I assume you'll not be watching any BBC programs, as they have no contract with you? Why don't you just run a cable from the street lighting into your home to power your telly while your at it? Have you signed a contract with your local council? No? Don't pay that council tax bill then. I hope you don't bother paying road tax, tell them they can stick their bill up their single lane track!

Jus' sayin' <_<

Guest eight

Fairy muff. I assume you'll not be watching any BBC programs, as they have no contract with you? Why don't you just run a cable from the street lighting into your home to power your telly while your at it? Have you signed a contract with your local council? No? Don't pay that council tax bill then. I hope you don't bother paying road tax, tell them they can stick their bill up their single lane track!

Jus' sayin' <_<

Why shouldn't he watch it? They do broadcast it on an unencrypted frequency after all.

Why shouldn't he watch it? They do broadcast it on an unencrypted frequency after all.

As we are now fully digital why don't they tie the license to the broadcast. For example this should have been possible in some way with the more recent HD channels.

Jus' sayin' <_<

That may be a facetious remark but it raising some interesting ethical questions. If you're not careful Traktion will be along soon to elaborate.

Roads, service supplies and council services are provided to all, just pointing out that using any of them without paying is illegal. I don't see anybody bitchin' about paying for those services?

That may be a facetious remark but it raising some interesting ethical questions. If you're not careful Traktion will be along soon to elaborate.

Just playing Devil's advocate, although the comment about advert free television is genuine. Nothing worse than adverts in the middle of a film.

And people are always bitching on here. I've heard plenty of people say they'd rather pay for their own private rubbish collection services than pay everybody's pensions yadda yadda.

I personally think a TV station with 24 hour morris dancing coverage is a snip at £99 per year. Broadcast starts next week, bill is in the post already.

Nothing worse than adverts in the middle of a film.

Nothing!?!

Now that GCHQ is keeping an eye on everyone's ISP content, far simpler to charge via the internet usage.

Taxy taxy

"If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" William Hague, Foreign Secretary

Edited by R K

BBC is worth it for Wimbledon and the olympics/worldcup etc WITHOUT adverts.

Sports events are perhaps the one type of broadcast where it makes no difference whether it's on ITV or BBC. It's the same football match, track event, etc regardless of the channel. And I'm happy to have the occasional advert if it a) saves me money and B) means I don'thave to listen to some stupid BBC panel trying to fill airspace by talking utter sh1te and smugly smiling to the viewer/each other because of course everyone knows that the BBC is the best there is. After all they've been using other people's money to run their own advertising campaign telling everyone how wondeful they are for years now.

The worst example is Match of the Day, where the BBC uses public money to outbid ITV which would give the same service to the public for free. And then we have to put up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/AfQarImZ97Y?feature=player_detailpage

Guest eight

Just playing Devil's advocate, although the comment about advert free television is genuine. Nothing worse than adverts in the middle of a film.

Which is why I don't begrudge paying Sky for F1 coverage. Even though in fact I've already paid the BBC for it, but that's a different story.

Nothing!?!

Figure of speech, is English your first language?

Just kiddin'! I Googled "Prince Philip gaffes" earlier on today, still chuckling to myself......

Seeings as you lot enjoy it so much, how about sending me a cheque for whatever it is now so I can watch non-BBC broadcasts without being hunted down by TVL and treated like a criminal.

Nah, you need to take responsibility for your own behaviour my friend. Anyway, after paying for all those OAP's licences, I'm skint!