House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
easy2012

What’S More Important: A College Degree Or Being Born Rich?

Public school connections are the top trump. Impossible for anyone else to work with though.

Whether it's the banlieus or the boardroom, we like to surround ourselves with people just like us. Who do you think wealthy directors & barristers recruit?

Public school connections are the top trump. Impossible for anyone else to work with though.

Bang on.

You don't have to actually be rich, but knowing people who are wealthy and/or connected is the shoe in of life. Networking at school/Uni seems to be optimal as you can reach over normal limits on networking, something l appreciated only in hindsight!!

Bang on.

You don't have to actually be rich, but knowing people who are wealthy and/or connected is the shoe in of life. Networking at school/Uni seems to be optimal as you can reach over normal limits on networking, something l appreciated only in hindsight!!

For me it would have been better if I had been born rich. Became disabled as a young person and since then it's been a struggle to survive. A lot of my earnings over the last 25+ years has been spent on medical treatment and other related things.

My family isn't wealthy enough to help me. The children of the rich in my position with the same disease have been much better off. If you are poor and the NHS won't/can't help you then it's very hard.

One buys the other. I'll leave you to guess which way round I think it works.

Everybody I know who is younger than me, and has bought a house - did so with parental help. Again, among my peers, only those who didn't go to university and got into a trade managed to buy without parental help (usually in their early 20s before the bubble of the last decade and a half).

Nowadays, the lack of parental help in buying probably adds up to close on a decade of extra saving for a deposit. Not to mention, of course, if you do a degree - there's the loan to pay off as well. A little lack of focus, or bad luck (eg unemployment or ill health) along the way - and you could easily add another 5-10 years to that. And, of course, some careers are virtually impenetrable without doing some unpaid work experience funded, and perhaps found, by mum and dad.

Being born rich can give you up to a 20 year head start in life I reckon. That was probably always true to a certain extent, but I suspect the difference is larger nowadays than it has been in the past.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat