House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nelson: French Are 'thieves, Murderers, Oppressors And Infidels'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10124698/Nelson-French-are-thieves-murderers-oppressors-and-infidels..html?placement=mid2

After the Battle of the Nile, Nelson sailed to Palermo, Italy, from where he wrote the letter. It is unclear who the letter was for, although it was addressed to 'My Dear Lord.'

He states: "I hate rebels, I hate traitors, I hate tyranny come from where it will. I have seen much of the world, and I have learnt from experience to hate and detest republics.

"There is nothing but tyranny & oppression, I have never known a good act done by a Republican, it is contrary to his character under the mask of Liberty.

"He is a tyrant, a many headed monster that devours your happiness and property. Nothing is free from this monster's grasp. A republic has no affection for its subjects.

"A King may be ill advised and act wrong, a Republic never acts right, for a knot of villains support each other, and together they do what no single person dare attempt.

"I pray God this war was over and a monarch placed on the throne of France, not that I like any Frenchman be he royalist or be he republican, but the French republicans have shown themselves such villains.

"I form not my opinion My Dear Lord from others, no it is from what I have seen.

"They are thieves, murderers, oppressors and infidels, therefore what faith can we hold with these people."

The irony of what he writes appears lost on him, tyranny and oppression by everyone else bar the British who clearly brought liberty...

The irony of what he writes appears lost on him, tyranny and oppression by everyone else bar the British who clearly brought liberty...

At the time he was (mostly) before all that, in fairness.

But even with the Raj it's contentious, compared to what they had before we arrived it probably was liberty to an extent. Though only to an extent.

There was no irony. From his elevated position this was the truth of it.

Irony? From the overlord of the press-ganged sailors, for whom a cat was not just a fluffy animal?

Interestingly, wasn't it the "pirates" who had the best form of democracy?

Irony? From the overlord of the press-ganged sailors, for whom a cat was not just a fluffy animal?

Interestingly, wasn't it the "pirates" who had the best form of democracy?

IIRC Nelson wasn't terribly keen on flogging and most people (including a large amount of the Navy) regarded press gangs as a necessary wartime evil. It was in some ways more akin to conscription and only for people qualified to be of use (although unsurprisingly that rule was rather twisted or ignored at times).