House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Julian Assange - 1 Year Now And The Uk Taxpayer Is £3M Lighter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343037/Julian-Assange-Wikileaks-founder-prepared-hide-Ecquadors-London-embassy-FIVE-YEARS-marking-anniversary-asylum-bid-cost-British-taxpayers-3m.html

British security forces have pledged to arrest and deport Mr Assange if he steps foot outside the embassy.

The cost of round-the-clock policing to ensure he does not escape from the building has already soared past £3million.

A complete waste of money having this level of surveillance on him? Personally I wouldn't bother with the surveillance if he steps out then arrest him, the money can be better spent elsewhere and I'm sure we can use the police offices guarding the building better. Can't we get a few G4S security officers in?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343037/Julian-Assange-Wikileaks-founder-prepared-hide-Ecquadors-London-embassy-FIVE-YEARS-marking-anniversary-asylum-bid-cost-British-taxpayers-3m.html

A complete waste of money having this level of surveillance on him? Personally I wouldn't bother with the surveillance if he steps out then arrest him, the money can be better spent elsewhere and I'm sure we can use the police offices guarding the building better. Can't we get a few G4S security officers in?

Getting G4S in actually would cost money. I doubt they've hired people especially to guard the embassy so the £3m cost is just a fantasy figure. If they weren't watching Assange they'd be doing something else equally as bizarre.

How many other cases of an alleged minor sexual offence do you know where the police spends millions to make sure the suspect doesn't get away with it? :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should start a court case against the police for wasting taxpayer money?

Some years ago I knew a drug dealer (a friend of a friend) who got caught selling pills and speed in a London club and despite it looked like an open and shut case (he got caught with quite a lot of stuff on him) after various delays the case was dropped as the courts were too busy with more important matters. He never saw a jail from the inside and never got a criminal record. Compare that to this case... <_<

why not let the yanks guard the place? they want him so bad. i bed with in 0.00001 seconds of the UK police removing all survailance, the yanks would be there. heck i bet they already are. let them guard, then when he leaves get them to put on a UK police outfit and arrest him, stuff him on a plane to somewhere where he'll never been seen again.

i'm bored of it TBH.

He's probably on the internet all day on forums or playing video games.

Wouldn't that be a dream for most nerds?

Why does the policing cost £12k per day? Assuming 4 watches per 24 hours and 5 police on each watch, that's £600 per copper per watch.

Assange is a dead man walking. He knows that better than anyone.

There is no exit strategy from this debacle that doesn't see him being extradited to the cell next to Charles Manson.

Assange is a dead man walking. He knows that better than anyone.

There is no exit strategy from this debacle that doesn't see him being extradited to the cell next to Charles Manson.

Only if you buy into the paranoia. His exit strategy is to go to Sweden and defend himself against the charges, then either walk free or get sentenced there.

Why is Glenn Greenwald, who broke the PRISM story, not in fear of the US?

Why is Glenn Greenwald, who broke the PRISM story, not in fear of the US?

Greenwald reported on the story, and is most certainly going to be knocked up for breaking the law.

I bet he hasn't slept well since, and probably never will outwith an alcohol or drug induced kip.

Guest eight

Some years ago I knew a drug dealer (a friend of a friend) who got caught selling pills and speed in a London club and despite it looked like an open and shut case (he got caught with quite a lot of stuff on him) after various delays the case was dropped as the courts were too busy with more important matters. He never saw a jail from the inside and never got a criminal record. Compare that to this case... <_<

Caught a rerun of an old Traffic Cops the other day - after a bit of a sting some illegals were caught with an almost comedy drugs stash in a car - literally a boot full of plastic bags of cocaine. In the little summary at the end, it said the CPS decided not to proceed with the case.

I bet he hasn't slept well since, and probably never will outwith an alcohol or drug induced kip.

Are you Scottish?

In one sense you're right - there is no exit strategy that doesn't involve killing the myth of Julian Assange.

The Ecuadorian embassy should hold some kind of massive Assange look-a-like conga party where they get tens of thousands of pasty faced albinos conga-ing up the steps, through and out the back of the embassy.

The real Assange could join in at any point inside & perhaps when back outside, the chain could split off into many seperate snakes, bamboozling the 3 british coppers further.

The Ecuadorian embassy should hold some kind of massive Assange look-a-like conga party where they get tens of thousands of pasty faced albinos conga-ing up the steps, through and out the back of the embassy.

The real Assange could join in at any point inside & perhaps when back outside, the chain could split off into many seperate snakes, bamboozling the 3 british coppers further.

I'm sure there is a scenario being developed within the cloak and dagger community that requires an evacuation of the embassy.

Whether it be a fire, critter infestation, terrorist attack, gas main leak, etc...

Assange is a dead man walking, or, at the least a future lifelong inhabitant of the US maximum security prison system.

Assange is a dead man walking, or, at the least a future lifelong inhabitant of the US maximum security prison system.

If you're right, why was Assange happy to live in the UK until the Swedish charges?

If you're right, why was Assange happy to live in the UK until the Swedish charges?

He wasn't.

He knew his time was very limited because his neck had not been sized up for the noose, and his high profile, tabloids, and constant surveillance in the UK kept him relatively safe for the interim: Bradly Manning Trial

Any 'secret' Assange has is well known to the agencies such as UKUSA (ECHELON), and he was likely used as cheese for the rats.

"Swedens chief prosecutor said on Tuesday she was seriously considering an invitation by the British government to question Julian Assange in London, before a court ruling in Sweden on whether to lift the warrant for his arrest."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/28/assange-sweden-prosecutor-marianne-ny-uk-embassy-ruling

Looks like Sweden may actually come and interview him.. Which is an interesting twist given how politically convenient it is to simply maintain the status quo.

Another interesting twist (that I'm sure I read somewhere) is that since his European arrest warrant was issued the rules have been changed. As the rules stand now (I believe) it would never have been issued as he hasn't been charged with an offence.

It only took one Sydney Carton.

Another interesting twist (that I'm sure I read somewhere) is that since his European arrest warrant was issued the rules have been changed. As the rules stand now (I believe) it would never have been issued as he hasn't been charged with an offence.

Just to back up the above statement now I've found a reasonable credible source:

"The new section 12A brings in a new bar to extradition under a European Arrest Warrant if the requesting country has not made a decision to charge, and the CPS (which in this case represents the category 1 territory, Sweden) cannot satisfy the extradition judge that the persons absence from the category 1 territory is the sole reason for that failure."

http://www.headoflegal.com/2014/08/18/julian-assange-do-recent-changes-to-extradition-law-make-any-difference/

"Swedens chief prosecutor said on Tuesday she was seriously considering an invitation by the British government to question Julian Assange in London, before a court ruling in Sweden on whether to lift the warrant for his arrest."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/28/assange-sweden-prosecutor-marianne-ny-uk-embassy-ruling

Looks like Sweden may actually come and interview him.. Which is an interesting twist given how politically convenient it is to simply maintain the status quo.

People looking for a way out of this mess?

People looking for a way out of this mess?

I thought quite the opposite.. but something must have prompted this sudden change of tack :huh:

Just to back up the above statement now I've found a reasonable credible source:

"The new section 12A brings in a new bar to extradition under a European Arrest Warrant if the requesting country has not made a decision to charge, and the CPS (which in this case represents the category 1 territory, Sweden) cannot satisfy the extradition judge that the persons absence from the category 1 territory is the sole reason for that failure."

http://www.headoflegal.com/2014/08/18/julian-assange-do-recent-changes-to-extradition-law-make-any-difference/

Are you familiar with the case of Ashya King?

Sure (reasonably)..

I presume these changes were a direct result? Certainly look like it, especially the changes to section 21:

The new section 21A brings in another new bar to extradition where the judge thinks it would be disproportionate bearing in mind the seriousness of the alleged conduct, the likely penalty, and the possibility of “less coercive measures” by the requesting state.

Why does the policing cost £12k per day? Assuming 4 watches per 24 hours and 5 police on each watch, that's £600 per copper per watch.

You're forgetting the cost of supervising, overseeing the supervisers etc.

B***** health tourists ....

Though didn't the publicity over that case shame the NHS into paying for his treatment abroad? The parents can't've been counting on that when they went!