House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Nokia Lumia Windows 8 Vs Iphone

specifically this:

a Nokia Lumia 520 brand new for £90 to £100

is this better or worse than an IPhone 3, good cond 2nd hand, same price?

specifically this:

a Nokia Lumia 520 brand new for £90 to £100

is this better or worse than an IPhone 3, good cond 2nd hand, same price?

I have a Lumia 620 and IMO it beats a second hand iPhone 3. Haven't used a 520.

Have not had a nokia since the N9 so called smartphone and that put me off nok for life.

It was was worse than terrible.

Partner had an iphone was semi happy but happier when I bought her an S2. (I already had one)

If I was in the market for a cheap phone I would look at ebay or other for a good cheap Samsung Android.

Very easy to flash different types of rom (firmware) so you really can tailor it to individual taste. You can use an app and put a different one on every week if you wish.

Have not had a nokia since the N9 so called smartphone and that put me off nok for life.

It was was worse than terrible.

Nokia pre-Elop was effectively three companies, producing (lines of) phones independently of each other.

The N-series was indeed ghastly.

The E-series, from a different division, produced the best phone I've ever encountered: the E71. Unfortunately the E6 - the latest in that line - is worthless crap. If I ever get another Nokia now, it'll be if I can find an E71 or E72, and last time I looked those commanded higher prices than when they were new! :o

There's quite a lot of choice for around £100 now - which will easily beat an iPhone 3 (in most, if not all, respects). The Huawei Android phones are worth a look for example.

The iPhone 3 was excellent in its day, but is now long in the tooth. A secondhand one even in good condition will likely need a new battery sooner rather than later. Or start to have a few niggling faults eg sockets not making good connections. Plus if you have one, some boomer will claim it's the only reason you can't afford a house.

;)I'm still on a Dumb-phone! And I hardly switch it on! :blink:

I bought partner a Windows phone for Christmas - was £129 at the time, Nokia Lumia something - 910 perhaps?

I have an iPhone 3GS.

Depends on what you want, for instance I can't really comment on the quality of say the camera or the audio quality of the Windows phone, I know both are poor on the iPhone (old 3GS).

In favour of Windows:

- Lovely big crystal clear screen

- Really clear easy to use displays

- Well rated by most who have them

- Good reliability - I don't use it on a daily basis but I don't think it's far off Apple standards, even comparable

- Most of the Nokias are nicely bult and "droppable"

- Fast processor

Against Windows

- Can't run SIP applications e.g. no VOIP software because the OS doesn't allow or support that

- Relatively narrow range of apps

- Poor battery life - screen is probably too large, won't manage a whole day without charge if you use it quite a bit

For Apple:

- Near perfect reliability

- Fair battery life (2 full days)

- Intuitive "keyboard" and spell checker

- Survives being dropped very well

Against Apple:

- Dreadfully dated browser and small screen

- No "Back" button

- No WiFi sync capability (actually, it does have this, but a long term bug in the software causes it to use up most of the PC's processor all the time when it kicks in, so I have the service disabled and you have to plug it in to sync)

- Nowhere near as fast a processor as the Nokia

My take on these remains as it was: the Apple is the one to have because of the battery life and the reliability and nothing else has ever come close. If the Windows one had a much smaller screen, I reckon it might well have the battery life of the iPhone, but it doesn't. It's too big.

I would assert that on mobiles the screen size has so outpaced the battery technology that until that is sorted, the iPhone 3 is the best balance.

I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Nokia Lumia 620, a supposed "budget" smartphone, with only its so-so battery life being a real detriment. The higher end Samsung/HTC/Nokia/Blackberry/Sony smartphones make the Apple iPhone look soooo 2009. The new Apple iOS looks oddly similar to Windows 8.

Never had an iPhone3 but I've had a 4 for a few years now.

I find my iPhone4 can be a bit laggy now as the OS is onto iOS6.x (designed for the faster processor in iPhone5), battery life isn't great and I've found just having certain apps installed (not even running) turns on the GPS permanently which reduces battery life even faster.

I think iOS6 is a bit of a mess (e.g. separate podcast app to music app, notifications not very good) and missing features I would like (e.g. quick Bluetooth on/off, ability to send/share things to SkyDrive).

While the retina display is very nice (don't think you get that on an iPhone3) it is does feel small these days and I would trade some 'pocketability' for a larger screen.

I find that the speaker is much too quiet so if I want to listen to a podcast while (say) pottering around in even a relatively quiet kitchen I need to plug it into external speakers or use headphones which is a bit tedious.

Managing media on the device is a pain (iTunes is awful) and you can pretty much forget video unless you buy it through iTunes or have many hours to kill fiddling with 3rd party apps.

On the plus side, it has been reliable and survived a few knocks and bumps very well. It's great for picking up email (all accounts in one mail box with a handy VIP tool making it easier to ignore the spam) and a bit of web browsing when stuck waiting somewhere... although I think most smartphones can match those features these days.

The one killer-feature for me is that it will synchronise my Outlook contacts over a cable (or even WiFi) direct with my PC without truncating or otherwise messing up the data. As far as I know, neither Android nor Windows Phone (surprisingly) can do this out of the box, requiring instead that you synch through cloud services and with restrictions on the amount/type of contact data, or that you purchase 3rd party apps that may or may not continue to work after each OS update. If/when another platform offers direct synching with Outlook I will jump ship (for a change as much as anything) but until then I will soldier on with the iPhone4 (the 4s and 5 didn't seem to offer any benefits).

I bought partner a Windows phone for Christmas - was £129 at the time, Nokia Lumia something - 910 perhaps?

I have an iPhone 3GS.

Depends on what you want, for instance I can't really comment on the quality of say the camera or the audio quality of the Windows phone, I know both are poor on the iPhone (old 3GS).

In favour of Windows:

- Lovely big crystal clear screen

- Really clear easy to use displays

- Well rated by most who have them

- Good reliability - I don't use it on a daily basis but I don't think it's far off Apple standards, even comparable

- Most of the Nokias are nicely bult and "droppable"

- Fast processor

Against Windows

- Can't run SIP applications e.g. no VOIP software because the OS doesn't allow or support that

- Relatively narrow range of apps

- Poor battery life - screen is probably too large, won't manage a whole day without charge if you use it quite a bit

For Apple:

- Near perfect reliability

- Fair battery life (2 full days)

- Intuitive "keyboard" and spell checker

- Survives being dropped very well

Against Apple:

- Dreadfully dated browser and small screen

- No "Back" button

- No WiFi sync capability (actually, it does have this, but a long term bug in the software causes it to use up most of the PC's processor all the time when it kicks in, so I have the service disabled and you have to plug it in to sync)

- Nowhere near as fast a processor as the Nokia

My take on these remains as it was: the Apple is the one to have because of the battery life and the reliability and nothing else has ever come close. If the Windows one had a much smaller screen, I reckon it might well have the battery life of the iPhone, but it doesn't. It's too big.

I would assert that on mobiles the screen size has so outpaced the battery technology that until that is sorted, the iPhone 3 is the best balance.

I've had a 3GS for just under a year, and i've found it fantastic...although I did have my last phone for 7 years previous to this one...

I use Chrome on mine, rather using Safari...piece of....The main problem with the 3GS, is that Apple are no longer upgrading its iOS...iOS 6 will be its last version. I've managed to get my Wifi working...as soon as I leave the house, and the Wifi becomes out of range, 3G cuts in...

I've been looking at upgrading to a 4S, but you're looking at least £200 for a second hand one...You can get a 3GS 32gb for around £80 nowadays. Not personally convinced with Windows phones...Win 8 on a PC is a bit useless, so I'm wondering if the OS on their mobiles is the same. Not convinced with Android either....and this is from a person who doesn't like Apple...

iTunes is one of the worst bits of software known to man, although try Media Monkey...its a really good file manager...

I've had a 3GS for just under a year, and i've found it fantastic...although I did have my last phone for 7 years previous to this one...

I use Chrome on mine, rather using Safari...piece of....The main problem with the 3GS, is that Apple are no longer upgrading its iOS...iOS 6 will be its last version. I've managed to get my Wifi working...as soon as I leave the house, and the Wifi becomes out of range, 3G cuts in...

I've been looking at upgrading to a 4S, but you're looking at least £200 for a second hand one...You can get a 3GS 32gb for around £80 nowadays. Not personally convinced with Windows phones...Win 8 on a PC is a bit useless, so I'm wondering if the OS on their mobiles is the same. Not convinced with Android either....and this is from a person who doesn't like Apple...

iTunes is one of the worst bits of software known to man, although try Media Monkey...its a really good file manager...

Unless someone is wedded to iOS i would suggest the far newer Lumia is the better phone. A friend had the win7 Lumia 800, fool sent it to mazuma before i had a chance to buy it off him.

Need a sub £100 phone soon myself, no idea what to get.

Unless someone is wedded to iOS i would suggest the far newer Lumia is the better phone. A friend had the win7 Lumia 800, fool sent it to mazuma before i had a chance to buy it off him.

Need a sub £100 phone soon myself, no idea what to get.

Is there as many Win 7/8 phone apps as there are for iOS?

Well, I'm looking for a phone far sooner than I would have hoped.

The thing that's stops me buying this Lumia is the lack of camera flash. Hmmm...

When you see the Windows OS on a phone you can see what Microsoft were trying to achieve with desktop Windows 8. Sort of. While it works on a phone it doesn't quite suit the desktop.

My 3GS is almost dead now, the main button needs a good hard shove to make it work and the on/off button has died so it hasn't had a reboot for many months now (Android users without a reboot facility would have had to change handset by now).

Looking around I can't believe how expensive these are.

I looked at eBay but I'm just too cynical about other human beings to believe that the transaction will be a success not helped by coming across plenty described as "New" which were in fact "Used" e.g. ex display models. "New", or "As New" has a specific meaning everywhere except eBay it seems, where the word "New" is meaningless.

You can get a genuinely new 4S from O2 for about £340 but that's network locked. Never had a network locked phone, the idea seems weird.

I thought I could replace the 3GS with a new 3GS or 4S for about £200 but these things really hold their value. Any suggestions..

When you see the Windows OS on a phone you can see what Microsoft were trying to achieve with desktop Windows 8. Sort of. While it works on a phone it doesn't quite suit the desktop.

My 3GS is almost dead now, the main button needs a good hard shove to make it work and the on/off button has died so it hasn't had a reboot for many months now (Android users without a reboot facility would have had to change handset by now).

I looked at eBay but I'm just too cynical about other human beings to believe that the transaction will be a success not helped by coming across plenty described as "New" which were in fact "Used" e.g. ex display models. "New", or "As New" has a specific meaning everywhere except eBay it seems, where the word "New" is meaningless.

You can get a genuinely new 4S from O2 for about £340 but that's network locked. Never had a network locked phone, the idea seems weird.

I thought I could replace the 3GS with a new 3GS or 4S for about £200 but these things really hold their value. Any suggestions..

I'd suggest giving Android another chance!

All the buttons on my HTC Desire still work fine, and if they didn't, I'd reboot by simply taking out the battery. Not that it ever needs rebooting. Mind you, the design's about 4 years old now and it's a bit short of memory for modern apps (even when using the SD card to store them), so I'll probably be looking for another phone before long, perhaps a second-hand Galaxy S2 for about £130.

I'd suggest giving Android another chance!

All the buttons on my HTC Desire still work fine, and if they didn't, I'd reboot by simply taking out the battery. Not that it ever needs rebooting. Mind you, the design's about 4 years old now and it's a bit short of memory for modern apps (even when using the SD card to store them), so I'll probably be looking for another phone before long, perhaps a second-hand Galaxy S2 for about £130.

You can buy a new Galaxy S2 for that now can't you? I think they rebranded it something else but it is basically the S2 under a new name. Lot of bang for buck if you buy it outright and then go with giffgaff.

You can get a genuinely new 4S from O2 foris about £340 but that's network locked. Never had a network locked phone, the idea seems weird.

Yes, retained value on these is astounding. Otherwise I would have had one ages ago. There are (continual) rumours of a plastic iPhone but I'm not sure how it'll undercut the iPhone 4 @ £300.

Best bet is to hook up with a tech savvy early adopter with a charitable streak. And make doe eyes at him when he (frequently) upgrades.

You can buy a new Galaxy S2 for that now can't you? I think they rebranded it something else but it is basically the S2 under a new name. Lot of bang for buck if you buy it outright and then go with giffgaff.

Really? You can only just about buy a galaxy ace 2 for that money. My wife bought an Ace last week for £90. The term Slow would be generous.

Yes, retained value on these is astounding. Otherwise I would have had one ages ago. There are (continual) rumours of a plastic iPhone but I'm not sure how it'll undercut the iPhone 4 @ £300.

Best bet is to hook up with a tech savvy early adopter with a charitable streak. And make doe eyes at him when he (frequently) upgrades.

That was how I got the iPhone 3. He'd upgraded to an iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and he got a Netgear ADSL router I didn't need any more after we went over to 3G.

Sadly, the iPhone 4 got dropped and the screen shattered. So he bought an iPhone 5 and did the same to that. And then bought another iPhone 5. No wonder these things are so expensive, people seem happy to pay the money.

The best I've seen is the O2 website which says something like "iPhone 5 FREE! For only £37 per month." Yes, I know what it means, it just looks hilarious.

I'm reluctant to buy a second hand one over the internet because the buttons on these wear out eventually and so the life of the thing might not be as good as I'd hope for. I'll probably leave this one until the main button dies altogether and then fork out the £340 for the iPhone 4S.

That was how I got the iPhone 3. He'd upgraded to an iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and he got a Netgear ADSL router I didn't need any more after we went over to 3G.

Sadly, the iPhone 4 got dropped and the screen shattered. So he bought an iPhone 5 and did the same to that. And then bought another iPhone 5. No wonder these things are so expensive, people seem happy to pay the money.

The best I've seen is the O2 website which says something like "iPhone 5 FREE! For only £37 per month." Yes, I know what it means, it just looks hilarious.

I'm reluctant to buy a second hand one over the internet because the buttons on these wear out eventually and so the life of the thing might not be as good as I'd hope for. I'll probably leave this one until the main button dies altogether and then fork out the £340 for the iPhone 4S.

If you times £37 quid a month over two years, (and I know my maths is crap), you're looking at around £800 over the period..I refuse to pay that sort of money for a phone, esp. as its not a business phone...However I know people who run businesses, and they couldn't afford to be without their phone for two minutes, so they have no choice but to take out the exorbitant insurance..

I've seen S3's go for around £140 second hand...I think its only the Galaxy models that would make shift towards Android...The 4 & 4S are coming towards the end of its life, and I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money on one, esp. as Apple will suddenly decide to remove iOS updates for it...

I have also heard mutterings about a "plastic" iphone - apparently in an attempt to keep costs down...I'm not convinced that its going to be as cheap as people say they'll be...