House Price Crash Forum
otters

Home Under The Hammer

For my sins I watched another episode the other morning.

This young plumber buys a house that is all but derelict.

It needed, re-wiring, re-plumbing, to include central heating, totally re-plastering inside, along with complete flooring of the whole house. Then you have the usual, new kitchen, bathroom, carpets, all new windows, plus the decorating costs. His budget, a staggering 10K.

When the presenter returns some months later the place actually looks okay, so he asks how the budget went. He replies that a few unforeseen problems had arisen and he was getting close to spending 14K.

The presenter gave him a quizzical look. He responded by saying he had friends in the trade, one being an electrician, who owed him favours.

Read into it what you will, but I smell a rat.

For my sins I watched another episode the other morning.

This young plumber buys a house that is all but derelict.

It needed, re-wiring, re-plumbing, to include central heating, totally re-plastering inside, along with complete flooring of the whole house. Then you have the usual, new kitchen, bathroom, carpets, all new windows, plus the decorating costs. His budget, a staggering 10K.

When the presenter returns some months later the place actually looks okay, so he asks how the budget went. He replies that a few unforeseen problems had arisen and he was getting close to spending 14K.

The presenter gave him a quizzical look. He responded by saying he had friends in the trade, one being an electrician, who owed him favours.

Read into it what you will, but I smell a rat.

£14k and none of that including the hours he put in over the months since he bought. Probably earning less than a sweatshop worker in Vietnam.

£14k and none of that including the hours he put in over the months since he bought. Probably earning less than a sweatshop worker in Vietnam.

Plus all his favours would have to be earnt "job for a job" style

I always wonder if when Martin Roberts goes all starry eyed and starts blushing when some Del Boy type shows up and starts throwing around six figure profit figures if he is actually in awe of these chancers, or if its all an act and a little bit of him dies inside?

Plus all his favours would have to be earnt "job for a job" style

Indeed, I reckon 14K just for the materials.

It's here, starts at 1min 06 seconds in. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017j8w5/Homes_Under_the_Hammer_Series_14_Episode_152/

At 11 mins 30 secs is when they discuss the budget.

Sounds like a band of workers going back to a bartering system.

I always wonder if when Martin Roberts goes all starry eyed and starts blushing when some Del Boy type shows up and starts throwing around six figure profit figures if he is actually in awe of these chancers, or if its all an act and a little bit of him dies inside?

Oh if you look really closely you can see the sadness in his eyes, and if you listen really hard you can hear his soul whimpering softly.

No I think he just likes hunky chavvy builder types.

I love the way they make fourteen thousand pounds sound like it's fifty pence. To save fourteen grand means putting aside fifty pounds a week for five years. Maybe inflation has been so bad I'm not keeping pace with the worthlessness of money, but to me that does not seem trivial.

They always seem to be chucking around tens and even of thousands of pounds like it's confetti on that show. Maybe because the banks just give it away so easily. Whereas people who have actually earned and saved the money have a different view of its worth.

Saw this too. Straight away thought of how much this really cost him in terms of hours, favours to pals etc.

Would be better off just sticking to plumbing probably.

While I don't believe the purchasers really profit as much as they say out of these properties, I have no issues with the program. At the end of the day, these often derelict properties are being made serviceable once more and put back into the system. The more properties on the market, the better I reckon. Plus, they are often larger than the new builds which are sprouting up.

Back in the day the day that Sarah Beanbags show was the worst for showing baffling amounts of work being done for a few grand.

That said, there are some work fast and cheap guys who just do the basics for a cheap price if that's all you want.

While I don't believe the purchasers really profit as much as they say out of these properties, I have no issues with the program. At the end of the day, these often derelict properties are being made serviceable once more and put back into the system. The more properties on the market, the better I reckon. Plus, they are often larger than the new builds which are sprouting up.

I have a serious issue with it. Its completely one sided when it comes to the subject and chops and changes what details it includes depending on whether they think they will make money or not.

I saw one last week where the people were likely to make either a small loss or a small profit according to the finger in the air guesstimates.

Yet they didn't bother to state the hard numbers as they do in EVERY SINGLE case where an apparent 'profit' is going to be made.

I also saw one a while back where the final 'profit' figure stated for the place included the renovation of a building they already owned ffs.

I would have no issue with this show if it gave a fair representation of reality. It does not.

Are we really to believe that in the recent period where most places across the country have had falling or at best flat prices - 95% of the folk on this show - many doing it for the first time - managed to make a profit ?

Sorry - but that is complete 100% fiction.

I have a serious issue with it. Its completely one sided when it comes to the subject and chops and changes what details it includes depending on whether they think they will make money or not.

I saw one last week where the people were likely to make either a small loss or a small profit according to the finger in the air guesstimates.

Yet they didn't bother to state the hard numbers as they do in EVERY SINGLE case where an apparent 'profit' is going to be made.

I also saw one a while back where the final 'profit' figure stated for the place included the renovation of a building they already owned ffs.

I would have no issue with this show if it gave a fair representation of reality. It does not.

Are we really to believe that in the recent period where most places across the country have had falling or at best flat prices - 95% of the folk on this show - many doing it for the first time - managed to make a profit ?

Oh it could well be fiction. But a fool and his money are easily parted, and I don't mind lots of speculators making a loss if it produces more livable housing.

I just don't think people will agree to be filmed and look to appear clueless numpties thats all, though it would make great "car crash" tv.

I think a "profit" is conjured out of the air to get consent for filming, by which time the production company has invested a lot of film, talent and crew time.

A lot,of it is down simply to how hard your mates will work for you compared to when they are on another job.

I could get pretty much any trade for £500 a week and you would not believe how much a good tradesman can get done in 5 days. But these days would be 8/9 hour with half our for lunch and a few cups of coffee - which might still be more breaks than I have when in the office but fair enou this is manual work.

Assume half the 14k is labour then for 7k you can get 14 weeks of work. Or 3 weeks of a sparky, 2 of a plumber, 4 of a bathroom and kitchen fitter, 1 week from the window fitter, 3 weeks of a joiner/plasterer/decorator etc.

I mean this is ****** to be fair. What would the sparky even do,for 3 weeks? He could rewire the house twice in that!

Now assume you're not in a hurry so the logistics become less of an issue (no need for a critical path) and you get max efficiency as there not all in each other way and everything can be teed up for the next trade to a certain degree.

Source: family of tradesmen, friend of tradesmen, certified pen pusher and keyboard warrior :D

I just don't think people will agree to be filmed and look to appear clueless numpties thats all, though it would make great "car crash" tv.

I think a "profit" is conjured out of the air to get consent for filming, by which time the production company has invested a lot of film, talent and crew time.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for the numerous 'holiday homes from hell' shows that ITV churns out.

Interesting in the last month i have seen two episodes where they had a couple on who had previously been on the show.

Both of them tried to sell for what they were told they should get and wanted.

Neither managed and they both 'rented it out instead'.

Now this is only a very small sample, and you do also get those who sell quickly and the viewers are informed of this. However i think it is clear that a huge number of these EA finger in the air guesstimates are just that. Pure fiction.

Ah yes, the "property experts" who are called in, half of them cannot remember what they said when they saw the properties before they were sold.

"If done up to a good standard blather blather blather, I can see this place being worth 150K.

Five months down the road and it's, "This has been refurbished to a high standard and I would expect it to fetch 200K."

Aye that's another joke aspect of the whole thing.

It does have a big impact on the hard of thinking though.

The number of people when asked why did you decide to do this - and answer because i watched this programme - is staggering.

On this mornings show they are going to have a flat in Edinburgh.

Will be interesting to watch as never seen one from here before. Lets see what type of 'profits' they decide to conjure up.

I mean this is ****** to be fair. What would the sparky even do,for 3 weeks? He could rewire the house twice in that!

We frequently do, when d|ckhead clients keep changing their mind about things without thinking about the work involved (Chargeable of course as it's not our mistake) to make the changes requested.