House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

Diy Help

A question for any out there who know about DIY.

We ripped out some fitted wardrobes to unblock a fireplace and took the carpets up to expose the victorian floorboards. This also exposed a tiled hearth which looked nice but the tiles were damaged beyond repair. So now I have taken the tiles up and want to re-lay some new ones.

Only thing is the surface is now very uneven as random chunks of the old cement/adhesive have been left behind and it looks as if it was never totally flat anyway.

So the question is - How do I go about achieving a level surface on the hearth before I lay the new tiles?

Thanks!

With a masonry chisel! I hope you are not suspicious of any Masonic! ;)

With a masonry chisel! I hope you are not suspicious of any Masonic! ;)

:ph34r:

I didnt know the masons had retail outlets!

:ph34r:

But srsly, is that like a brick bolster? Do I just chip away until its all reasonbly flush?

Should only take you a couple of years.

All these "little jobs" take a lot longer than you would have thought! ;)

No you probably don't want a bolster! They are too wide. You need a one inch wide Masonic chisel! The spirit level is your friend!

It's not a mystic supernatural device! Just a stick, with a bubble in it! :blink:

No you probably don't want a bolster! They are too wide. You need a one inch wide Masonic chisel! The spirit level is your friend!

It's not a mystic supernatural device! Just a stick, with a bubble in it! :blink:

OK, I have one of them. Will start bashing one out this evening.

Remember to do the bashing with the chisel, not the spirit level.

You have given me an idea for a "universal tool". I shall call it a Swiss Army something!

What forms the base of the existing hearth? Often these were just laid by making a wooden/cement form onto existing floorboards certainly above the ground floor.

Take a few more boards up it may be easier to rip the lot out and start again from scratch.

What forms the base of the existing hearth? Often these were just laid by making a wooden/cement form onto existing floorboards certainly above the ground floor.

Take a few more boards up it may be easier to rip the lot out and start again from scratch.

Dont know. The original constructional hearth would be victorian. Its definitely not resting on the floorboards as you can clearly see then end at the edge of the hearth which is already at a slightly lower level - the tiles were flush with the boards.

Yup, looking good so far!

DSC_0120_zpsa5365d75.jpg

That looks great! In a few months your whole house will look like that! :blink:

That looks great! In a few months your whole house will look like that! :blink:

Actually I had almost finished chipping out the cement when the back-filling decided to have an avelanche. No matter.

Actually I had almost finished chipping out the cement when the back-filling decided to have an avelanche. No matter.

I've been there Mr Stug. Old houses can be work! :blink:

Get a henry hoover. They can deal with the dust.

Those things are indestructible. My ma has one that she inherited from her ma that must be at least 25 years old! And yes, they are very good for clearing up rubble!