House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
inflating

Town Councillor Demands Council Homes To Only Go To Established Residents

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10476100.New_born_and_bred_rule_for_council_homes/?ref=mc

Basildon Council deputy leader Phil TurnerBasildon Council deputy leader Phil Turner

ONLY residents who have lived in the Basildon area for 20 years will be entitled to council homes, if the deputy leader of the council gets his way.

I agree that there's no alternative but to get tough.

http://www.echo-news...l_homes/?ref=mc

I agree that there's no alternative but to get tough.

I suggest that this isn't as simple as you suggest.

An unfortunate side effect of this proposal is that it will punish those who are willing or forced to relocate for work reasons.

My workplace has changed three times in last decade. I moved a significant distance each time to stay employed - should that make me ineligble for council housing?

If anything, we should be encouraging labour mobility not punishing it.

Another subsidy to the old

Yes, they should get on their bikes!

Another reductio ad absurdum of bogus conservatism.

Please can we have representative democracy? You know, sensible policies for moderate people. I know the LibDems aren't sexy, but all the other parties look like perverts.

An unfortunate side effect of this proposal is that it will punish those who are willing or forced to relocate for work reasons.

My workplace has changed three times in last decade. I moved a significant distance each time to stay employed - should that make me ineligble for council housing?

In a perfect world, people who work shouldn't need a council house - their wages should be more than enough to pay private market rent.

So, an interesting idea from that councillor, but infeasible until we sort out our distorted housing market.

Another subsidy to the old

Plus I expect this councillor is exactly the kind of person who would tell the young to get on their bikes to find work. So get on your bike and try to make something of yourself, but if you do you will forever forfeit your chance of getting a council house. Alternatively, sit around growing moss for 20 years and reap your just reward.

British homes for British people. It's not "racist" to say it.

Or local homes for local people, in this case.

local-shop.jpg

Or they could just relax the planning stasi...

To be fair the left play the same card by calling expecting HB tenants to move 'social cleansing' as it might split them from their uncles friends dog or somesuch.

A lot of people who work and live in council housing require housing benefit...

Everybody in my block of flats is on housing benefit, bar one, and quite a few work (one poor sod is worse off for doing so). And he already owns his own home, (he the social flat in our block to have a place to stay for work - and at the weekend goes back to his owner occupied home in the North West).

The trouble is in some areas "established residents" of more than 20 years' standing include many people who are not English.

This, essentially, is the economic argument against the free movement of labour across national borders -- not that any economist would spell this out (and be able to keep their job).

The national government needs to make investments for economic growth, but if the benefits of that investment simply go to immigrants, than there will never be enough political support to make those investments and the country ends up poorer for it. You're right that it would be a good thing is council housing was available for people seeking employment in the area, but it's a simple fact that the UK Treasury lacks the funds to provide housing for half the population of Europe.

Council housing is already a great restricter of labour mobility - people need/expect jobs to be near their home if they rely on council housing. In the US people would think nothing of moving a hundred miles for work, but in Britain it is acceptable to stay put and moan about the lack of work in Middlesborough/Hull etc.

British homes for British people. It's not "racist" to say it.

Since the British are not a distinct race, why would it be? There's plenty of people of all races who would qualify under that rule. It's just a form of rationing though. Far better to build more homes (council and otherwise) which is something I suspect this guy is dead set against.

Since the British are not a distinct race, why would it be? There's plenty of people of all races who would qualify under that rule. It's just a form of rationing though. Far better to build more homes (council and otherwise) which is something I suspect this guy is dead set against.

We are a distinct race. The British are overwhelmingly descended from hunters who settled the country in the last stages of the Ice Age - descent from a few thousand people here in the Ice AGe accounts for 80% of our DNA (see http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html ). We most definitely are a distinct race.

We are a distinct race. The British are overwhelmingly descended from hunters who settled the country in the last stages of the Ice Age - descent from a few thousand people here in the Ice AGe accounts for 80% of our DNA (see http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html ). We most definitely are a distinct race.

So only direct descendents from the Ice Age should get a Council house.. :)