House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ignorant Steve

Full Asking Price Offer

Saw the perfect house over the weekend.

Seemed too good to be true. Character, views and priced realistically.

Offered full asking price yesterday plus no chain cash buyer.

Vendor has so many viewings booked that he's not going to accept my offer yet!

STRs beware - re-entry might be more problemmatic than first envisaged

well done sucker :lol:

well done sucker :lol:

Last week I'd probably have said the same. As we drove to the property we were discussing how much below the asking price we might offer.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Could they have priced it low to encourage lots of views.

Someone I know does exactly this when selling and ends up getting a higher price than the valuation.

Mind you the last time he done it was in the mid nineties, and like yours was a very desirable property, rather fancied it myself.

Could they have priced it low to encourage lots of views.

Someone I know does exactly this when selling and ends up getting a higher price than the valuation.

Mind you the last time he done it was in the mid nineties, and like yours was a very desirable property, rather fancied it myself.

I think he might have done which was why we went straight to asking price. I was hoping to shut down other viewings, it is a very desirable property.

Don't intend to increase my offer though. I'm hoping he'll only get offers up to asking price in todays environment and I can't see anyone offering an easier sale.

Steve which area are you talking about?

Its exactly what I have been seeing for the last couple of months in south Hertfordshire.

Its not a buyers market round here anymore.

Steve which area are you talking about?

Its exactly what I have been seeing for the last couple of months in south Hertfordshire.

Its not a buyers market round here anymore.

Warwickshire. Coventry / Rugby / Leamington Spa.

Guest The_Oldie

I think offering the full asking price straight away is the reason the seller hasn't accepted your offer. It might have been better to offer a little under, but make your strong position clear to the seller and agent. If necessary you could have increased it later.

A quick offer of full asking price is bound to make a seller wonder if they've underpriced themselves.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I think offering the full asking price straight away is the reason the seller hasn't accepted your offer. It might have been better to offer a little under, but make your strong position clear to the seller and agent. If necessary you could have increased it later.

A quick offer of full asking price is bound to make a seller wonder if they've underpriced themselves.

Maybe. Hadn't considered that to be honest. I worked on the assumption that a seller would have had discussions with his EA to ascertain a likely selling. And would then close the sale quickly if a decent offer came in.

Steve, keep a cool head. Don't offer them more unless YOU think it's worth it. Don't play into his hands.

Not easy when your heart is ruling your head, as in this case.

It's what makes the housing market so unique and unpredictable...

(p.s. Libitina, your avatars are getting more explicit...how about a furry kitten, or summink easy on the eye? ;) )

In March we offered £500K on a house that was a week on the market at 545K. Someone else offered 530. Both were rejected, and the vendor waited, and waited, for someone to offer full price. The viewers dried up & he ended up selling (eventually) for 500K, just not to us, as we'd changed our minds.

Not easy when your heart is ruling your head, as in this case.

It's what makes the housing market so unique and unpredictable...

(p.s. Libitina, your avatars are getting more explicit...how about a furry kitten, or summink easy on the eye? ;) )

How's it explicit when nothing is on show? It must be your dirty imagination :D

Though if it offends anyone, I will change it......

So ...

I want £50 for my shoes, who will give me £50?

I will give you £50 for your shoes.

I do not accept your offer of £50 for my shoes.

Oh im sorry did i say i was offering £50 for your shoes? what i meant to say was f*ck off you {a list of profanity that would offend even if i ************ most of it } Do you have fire insurance?

How's it explicit when nothing is on show? It must be your dirty imagination :D

Though if it offends anyone, I will change it......

I say keep it libi

This is a great example of how it is nearly impossible to discuss how much to offer without knowing the property. In one instance it may be to generous to offer 20% under the asking price. On another property it could be that by paying 5% over the asking price it is still a good deal. Each property has to be looked at on its own merits.

a f*ckin furry kitten :o :angry:

Explicit? Hardly explicit , breast feeding is more explcit and thats not explicit. Zooming in on the genitals would be explicit.

Easier on the eye than a beautiful woman - give me strength :lol: easier on the eye than a pair of lips ....

furry kittens.. how the f*ck did humanity ever get as far as what it has done i dont know.

Im not having a personal go at you red, its just there are very few things that annoy me more than people who take offence at the drop of a hat, in the real world i go out of my way to say '****' infront of them (not at them, just so they can hear it).

I dont get offended by people who take offence easily it just really really f*cks me off.

Again nothing personal :)

Edited by theChuz

a f*ckin furry kitten :o :angry:

Explicit? Hardly explicit , breast feeding is more explcit and thats not explicit. Zooming in on the genitals would be explicit.

Easier on the eye than a beautiful woman - give me strength :lol: easier on the eye than a pair of lips ....

furry kittens.. how the f*ck did humanity ever get as far as what it has done i dont know.

Im not having a personal go at you red, its just there are very few things that annoy me more than people who take offence at the drop of a hat, in the real world i go out of my way to say '****' infront of them (not at them, just so they can hear it).

I dont get offended by people who take offence easily it just really really f*cks me off.

Again nothing personal :)

:lol::lol::lol:

No real offence taken, calm down! I was being deliberately soft!

Although you have to admit that on first viewing it looks like a red haired hippy felating himself... :P

:lol::lol::lol:

No real offence taken, calm down! I was being deliberately soft!

Although you have to admit that on first viewing it looks like a red haired hippy felating himself... :P

phew .. the uber PC brigade its just one of my (very few i might add) hang-ups.

My bad :lol::)

Ig steve might be being a bit crafty here by not letting on he is probably looking to buy a very expensive place?

Just down the road a house and land just sold for approx £1.3m. That is what is went up for about five weeks ago. This sector of the market is still going.

Ig steve might be being a bit crafty here by not letting on he is probably looking to buy a very expensive place?

Just down the road a house and land just sold for approx £1.3m. That is what is went up for about five weeks ago. This sector of the market is still going.

Asking price was £750K.

Nothing was selling in the £650K - £750K range until September. Loads of properties have gone "under offer" or SSTC since. However it's only the better quality, anything that is slightly dubious is still languishing.

The market (here) is very odd at the moment - some properties ahang around & then go to sealed bids - it seems there are a lot of STR's playing chicken - they wait & then all pounce together.

Agree that offering full asking immediately was probably not the wisest move - as agent will then say to the other viewers - "well, they have alraedy had an offer very near to asking price - so if you are ineteerested - you should move quickly" 7 that is how they get to the sealed bid situation.

Quite a number of properties (round here) have recently sold for above asking price.

Not sure what to advise - maybe go back and say - OK we are withdrawing our offer?

A place in East Surrey went to sealed bids, and 'sold' for £695,000, very soon after it went on the market for 650K. The buyers pulled out when it was valued for the mortgage at £570,000. It's been taken off the market when no-one else wanted it - it hung around at 695K for ages. It was gorgeous inside [for once done up with quality fittings] but was on a pretty busy road, with an east facing garden.