House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Merkel Tells Young Europeans To Move To Find Work

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22906820

Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has said the 3.6 million or so young unemployed people in the eurozone should be ready to move for work.

She has long been criticised in eurozone countries like Spain and Greece where unemployment is rising to previously unknown levels.

In an interview for the BBC, she said their level of joblessness represented a "huge crisis".

But she also resolutely defended the policy of tight controls on spending.

When unemployment among the young had soared in her own area of East Germany, "many young people... only had jobs because they moved to the south", she said.

There would have to be more "mobility", she argued.

"I think it's unfair that it is the young people especially who have to pay the bill for something they didn't do," she said.

"But there's no way around it. We have to manufacture products or offer services in Europe that we can sell."

Excellent I'll move to Germany, I can't speak the language but I'm sure that won't be a problem....

She's sounding like Norman Tebbit.

Still it's easy for the rich to tell the poor how to move around the country, money buys easy mobility.

And so, the privileged life elite boomer scum like her have lived is consigned to history. Replaced by a rootless workforce of young plebs whose greatest ambition is to stay somewhere long enough to have a decent human existence. Then presumably they'll be told to retire somewhere that suits tptb. You have no choice - they built this world and your job is to make sure it continues just as they want it.

Those in charge have long outlived their usefulness, imho. Come on youngsters, grab a lamppost!

Excellent I'll move to Germany, I can't speak the language but I'm sure that won't be a problem....

Still it's easy for the rich to tell the poor how to move around the country, money buys easy mobility.

I looked for work a few years back in Germany, but without being able to speak German I wasn't given a look-in I'm afraid

So millions of young unemployed people move from southern to northern Europe, driving down wages and job security and pushing up rents and unemployment in northern Europe. Family and social ties are broken and cultural transmission is lost in southern Europe while northern Europeans become more xenophobic. Southern Europe's demographic and fiscal problems get even worse as its workforce departs.

So who wins? Well, maybe wealthy northern Europeans who now have both cheaper labour and higher rents to collect locally. The kind of people who put Merkel where she is today.

So you've had a few years now. What have you done about it?

worked in england - I was just trying to point out the difference in approach between the EU countries. Language appears to be a small barrier in the UK, whereas alesewhere...you know. Just sayin'

The germans, even the unionized ones have a work ethic though, so i doubt their will be much 80s labour style foaming at the mouth and steam coming out of the ears on the german left.

Forget moving around the country, the poles have managed to move far further.

worked in england - I was just trying to point out the difference in approach between the EU countries. Language appears to be a small barrier in the UK, whereas alesewhere...you know. Just sayin'

For a moment I thought you were going to write, "I studied German really hard and also got a TEFL qualification which made the move to Germany really easy."

Edited by Ah-so

Just to mention the obvious as always, the problem is the euro. If the PIIGS had their own currencies, they could devalue and the Germans would happily continue to invest and create employment in those countries. Now instead of floating exchange rates, we need "floating workforces" to take the strain.

(There is of course no long term benefit to germany in this sort of immigration, any more than the UK "benifits" from immigration. It just makes the population bigger.)

For a moment I thought you were going to write, "I studied Germany really hard and also got a TEFL qualification which made the move to Germany really easy."

TEFL doesn't get you much of a job anywhere. Been there, done that.

And I'm sorry to point this out, but in later life you can learn languages . . . but will never, ever be up 'native speaker' standard and you will frequently suffer from linguistic discrimination. (Especially in chauvinistic France.)

'Gastarbeiters' fall into two categories. The exploited unskilled, where language doesn't really matter. And the few who meet a particular country's skill shortages, where language is often overlooked. Take the NHS in the UK, where foreign doctors and nurses can barely write up case notes.

Meanwhile, there is the small matter of rising fascist groups protecting local employment from migrants, such as Golden Dawn in Greece. Oh, and Germany doesn't have a great record of welcoming Turks or 'Ossies' either.

And, sorry Frau Merkel, but some people don't want to be forced exiles. Big demonstrations about this in Spain already.

The problem is the EU and the Euro. Millions of unemployed roaming Europe like gypsies isn't going to solve this . . . and it isn't even feasible for a moment.

Sum Up. She's nuts.

Talking of Tebbit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jun/15/norman-tebbit-interview

His even more memorable injunction to the unemployed, to "get on yer bike" remains, he thinks, truer today than ever before. "Some people think 40 miles is a long way to go for a job." He pauses for dramatic effect. "Other people come from Prague."

Well the Stasi offered her a job a while back. Is that the sort of job people should be taking now?

http://www.telegraph...from-Stasi.html

Merkel seems a bit Great Escape (the English nowadays seem pro-Stasi/Nazi):

She said she often tapped on lamps in pubs and said: "If there is a microphone there – switch on now!"

"The thing was not to let them drive you crazy," she said.

Actually guys, her comments come not long after the Germans announced a European scheme to bring young people to Germany for work:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2335349/Auf-Wiedersehen-unemployment-Germany-looks-UK-European-countries-skills-gap.html

"The German government has begun offering attractive apprenticeship packages to young A-Level-qualified British people, with free language lessons and pay of 818 euros a month after tax (around £700)."

Actually guys, her comments come not long after the Germans announced a European scheme to bring young people to Germany for work:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2335349/Auf-Wiedersehen-unemployment-Germany-looks-UK-European-countries-skills-gap.html

"The German government has begun offering attractive apprenticeship packages to young A-Level-qualified British people, with free language lessons and pay of 818 euros a month after tax (around £700)."

The skills shortage programme only benefits a tiny number of the ever-increasing millions of Eurozone unemployed.

Moreover, even those flocking to Germany don't stay. More wishful thinking/disinformation by Frau Merkel.

Is Germany a dreamland for immigrants? Not entirely. According to a new OECD study, more than half the Greeks and Spaniards who come to Germany leave within a year.

Adios Alemania. Der Speigel. Link

The truth is that Merkel is not really keen on outsiders- just recently she gave a speech in which she talked about Turkish people living and working in 'our' country- a slip that speaks volumes considering some of those people were born in Germany- but clearly she does not regard them as 'true' Germans.

The truth is that Merkel is not really keen on outsiders- just recently she gave a speech in which she talked about Turkish people living and working in 'our' country- a slip that speaks volumes considering some of those people were born in Germany- but clearly she does not regard them as 'true' Germans.

Why do you think it was a slip and why do you think she was talking about people born in Germany?

Your comment would fall foul of your own logic since you've referred to people apparently born in Germany as 'Turkish'.

The mass influx of foreign workers officially contracted sharply the availability of low to medium skilled work in the UK and anybody who says otherwise is a self-deluded idiot. This mass movement of people will eventually help make Western Europe blow good and proper (with the '11 riots in London and Greek riots being practice runs for much bigger violence) and serious civil breakdown is already seemingly encroaching into Europe through Turkey.

Edited by Big Orange

This has prompted it to look overseas, including to the UK, in a recruitment drive to fill the gap.

The German government has begun offering attractive apprenticeship packages to young A-Level-qualified British people, with free language lessons and pay of 818 euros a month after tax (around £700).

The scheme is being marketed as Germany All-Inclusive and the hope is that some of the talented Brits enticed to serve their apprenticeship in Frankfurt or Dusseldorf will stay, filling a German skills gap.

It just goes to show that the Germans appreciate British workers and even young ones even if the British government and other British politicians etc would rather insult them.

Amazing that "talented Brits" don't have the same sort of opportunity in the UK to fill a skills gap.

Edited by billybong

Britain's political and corporate classes seemed to have mostly forgotten the concept of the Circle of Virtue (eroded by Globalisation and importing workers), while the somewhat less glaringly incompetent (but still predatory) political and corporate classes in Germany realise that Britain's solid worker talent is getting needlessly peed up the wall.

Edited by Big Orange