House Price Crash Forum

Britain's Weather Has Now Got So Bad Even The Met Office Is Worried: Forecasters To Hold Meeting

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2341484/Floods-droughts-snow-May-Britains-weather-got-bad-Met-Office-worried.html

Britain's weather has now got so bad even the Met Office is worried: Forecasters to hold meeting over floods, droughts and even snow in May

Met Office has called extreme weather meeting for next week

Experts to discuss if it is result of climate change or just typically British

Meeting sparked after UK suffered its coldest spring for 50 years

'We have seen a run of unusual seasons in the UK,' Met Office says

Next a Cobra meeting?

I think they are aiming to work out if it's climate change or if the problem is they don't have accurate enough historical data to realise nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

Still I'm sure they'll have nice tea / biscuits / sandwich buffet at taxpayer expense.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2341484/Floods-droughts-snow-May-Britains-weather-got-bad-Met-Office-worried.html

Next a Cobra meeting?

I think they are aiming to work out if it's climate change or if the problem is they don't have accurate enough historical data to realise nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

Still I'm sure they'll have nice tea / biscuits / sandwich buffet at taxpayer expense.

What is the most lucrative for the politicians and most requiring of 'action?'

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

One thing nobody has any control over is the weather.....it has control over us. ;)

You seriously think the US military (and the Russians and Chinese) haven't thought of using weather modification as a weapon yet? That's very naive, the right kind of weather can give the military a huge strategic advantage and the technology isn't complicated, cloud seeding has been studied and practised since the last 40-50 years.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Next a Cobra meeting?

it says they are worried about the run of cold snowy winters - this is nothing new, we've had them before. I recall reading articles explaining this is a well known behaviour that reoccurs every 30 years or so in the UK, but its not understood exactly why.

HOLA4414

The possibility of weaponised weather is always there and even legitimate, uncontested contrails are going to have some impact on the amount of sunlight getting through, but...

What gets me on this, and so many other fringe subjects is the certainty with which some people express themselves. Such strong conclusions on such patchy, usually inconclusive source material.

HOLA4415

You seriously think the US military (and the Russians and Chinese) haven't thought of using weather modification as a weapon yet? That's very naive, the right kind of weather can give the military a huge strategic advantage and the technology isn't complicated, cloud seeding has been studied and practised since the last 40-50 years.

The Ultimate Weapon of Mass Destruction: “Owning the Weather” for Military Use

Project Popeye mentioned here.

New evidence suggests US & Russia are embroiled in an illegal race to harness the power of hurricanes & earthquakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_warfare

Intelligent fog

No idea how practical any of this really is.

HOLA4416
Guest eight

What gets me on this, and so many other fringe subjects is the certainty with which some people express themselves. Such strong conclusions on such patchy, usually inconclusive source material.

Might as well wade in with both feet then.....

We seem to have been stuck since about 2005 in a kind of self reinforcing downward spiral. For instance, if I go outside now I will not see a single square inch of blue sky, at what should be the hottest part of the day, at a hot part of the year. Just impenetrable dense low cloud. This is quite normal now - apart from the blissful week or so we had a couple back, every day of "summer" is the same. Consequently the land is not getting warmed or dried. So we head into each new winter with the land colder and wetter than the year before.

What we need to snap us out of it is a blistering couple of months of 30+ temperatures - but of course we know what conclusion would be drawn if that did happen.

As I've said elsewhere, my personal money would be on the massive rise of windfarms in that timescale - it seems to fit in quite a number of ways.

HOLA4417

As mentioned in the OP, Question #1 should be is the recent weather/ climate consistent with historic, natural variability?

I'm guessing one of the reasons for this gathering is that the British weather hasn't played out along the lines of the more sensational projections from 10-15 years ago, the general public has noticed and is starting to get a bit @rsey.

HOLA4418

As mentioned in the OP, Question #1 should be is the recent weather/ climate consistent with historic, natural variability?

I'm guessing one of the reasons for this gathering is that the British weather hasn't played out along the lines of the more sensational projections from 10-15 years ago, the general public has noticed and is starting to get a bit @rsey.

Do you mean specifically those with over priced housing built in natural flood plains which for some reason keep flooding?

HOLA4419

Do you mean specifically those with over priced housing built in natural flood plains which for some reason keep flooding?

That's the funny thing about flood plains...

It's going to be a broader church but those people can join, definitely

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest eight

I'd bet good money a lot of people wanted the Serengeti outcome.

HOLA4422

I'd bet good money a lot of people wanted the Serengeti outcome.

Bill Giles certainly seemed up for it

Olive groves in Oxfordshire? Bill Giles, the BBC's weatherman, thinks so. Despite some particularly vicious nights of frost last winter, he is a firm believer in the idea of global warming. So much so that he is planning to plant olive trees in his own south Oxfordshire garden. In 20 years or so, he reckons, with the typical summer climate moving north at a rate of 10 kilometres a year, Dundee will be as balmy as Berkshire. France, he says, will be "a desert". Hard luck on the Dordogners.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

As I've said elsewhere, my personal money would be on the massive rise of windfarms in that timescale - it seems to fit in quite a number of ways.

Not to mention all that mucking about with tidal...

HOLA4425

Whilst we enter the six successive month of below average CET (central England) temperatures, and anecdotally, things aren't any better in the US/Canada, a new seed catalog arrives.

They have a new strawberry "Buddy", which

"will fruit in even very hot summers which is becoming a more regular occurrence in the UK......."

This is what is near-criminal, in my view. The IPCC alarmists have convinced plant breeders to produce heat and drought resistant varieties, when in fact, it looks like we need the opposite. These guys do NOT operate on a short turn-around.

Archived