House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Longtermrenter

Speaking Of The Wilsons....fergus Speaks

Just googled Fergus Wilson and the following came up - he is complaining about Londoners being foisted on Kent and speaks of the great charity he giveth.

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Note how stunningly Article 3 is a copy of the 1st article from the same website with a different headline. Journalistic skills are so good.

edited for typo (I'm not a journalist)

Edited by Longtermrenter

Just googled Fergus Wilson and the folloeing came up - he is complaining about Londoners being foisted on Kent and speaks of the great charity he giveth.

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Note how stunningly Article 3 is a copy of the 1st article from the same website with a different headline. Journalistic skills are so good.

"owns almost 1,000 homes"

Yeah, right.

Those two have been very quiet since the crash... wonder how much has been wiped off of their portfolio?

Just googled Fergus Wilson and the following came up - he is complaining about Londoners being foisted on Kent and speaks of the great charity he giveth.

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

He said there are financial incentives for landlords who house families from London but that he would not be "bribed" as "charity begins at home".

He added: "I believe the London boroughs should not use Kent as a dumping ground for families they should be looking after themselves."

Mr Wilson said that he would house families on benefits from the local area and he was happy to provide private accommodation for people moving to Kent for work.

Doesn't it just, Fergus.

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

It was always thus. As recently as the 1940s Kent was a rural idyll of Hops plantations, meadows and country lanes until those pesky Londoners started buying up plots of land and building their prefabs and shacks. Very few Kent people will be of Kentish decent going back generations.

Maybe some of this is about 'large families', 'changing the face of Britian'? Kent could pretend London wasn't happening. But now it can't. The locals will be put out.

I recently read an account of West Kingsdown in 1946, high up on the North Kent downs, and right on the edge of Greater London. Following the London blitz several bombed out large families moved onto the Hever Valley housing estate on the edge of the village. in those days you just needed a tenner to buy a quarter of an acre plot of land and DIY skills to build a shed. No need for council rehousing in those days in the absence of strict planning laws. Indeed West Kingsdown went from a rural village to an extended shanty town. I guess those shanty plots have decent houses on them now and change hands for serious money.

Noticed a large write-up on the Wilsons today in the NI Daily Mirror.

A tenant in one of their properties called the gas man in to fix a fault. The gas man turned the gas boiler off as it was dangerous. The tenant used the electric backup heater for a few months and left the property.

The Wilsons tried to sue the gas man for £5k for loss of potential rent (max they could sue for at this level of court.

Judge laughed it out, said the gas man was doing his job, applied the regs correctly and could have prevented a serious accident. He awarded him £5k in costs.

The Wilsons refuse to pay up and the gas man can't afford to pay for enforcement.

Scum.

A tenant in one of their properties called the gas man in to fix a fault. The gas man turned the gas boiler off as it was dangerous. The tenant used the electric backup heater for a few months and left the property.

The Wilsons tried to sue the gas man for £5k for loss of potential rent (max they could sue for at this level of court.

Judge laughed it out, said the gas man was doing his job, applied the regs correctly and could have prevented a serious accident. He awarded him £5k in costs.

The Wilsons refuse to pay up and the gas man can't afford to pay for enforcement.

Scum.

Wow. Did anyone say 'cashflow'?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/judith-wilson-britains-most-successful-2234721

My battle with the Rich List landlords

29 Aug 2013 00:00

They made a fortune from the buy-to-let market but the couple are refusing to pay a court debt to a self-employed gas engineer

Here’s “Britain’s most successful private landlady”, as Judith Wilson modestly describes herself.

Along with husband Fergus she made a fortune from the buy-to-let market – at one point owning around 700 houses.

Yet despite all this wealth the couple are refusing to pay a court debt to a self-employed gas engineer.

Paul Masterson is bitterly regretting the day in June last year when he was called to one of the houses in the Wilsons’ empire in Ashford, Kent.

He discovered that the property had a flue beneath a bedroom window which did not comply with British Standards.

“The tenant said the window steamed up when the boiler was in use, so I turned it off and issued an ‘At Risk’ notice, in line with the Gas Safe ­procedure,” said Paul, who has 26 years of experience in his field.

Paul then charged the Wilsons a reasonable £66 for his work.

Turning the boiler off didn’t ­inconvenience the tenants because they had hot water from an electric back-up and a few months later they moved out when their tenancy ended.

But the Wilsons decided that by issuing the “At Risk” warning, Paul had made it impossible to let the house.

“I replied by citing the ­regulations explaining why the flue was dangerous,” said Paul.

“But Mr Wilson issued me with a summons for £5,000 for loss of rent.

“I have no idea how he ­calculated this figure, I believe it is merely the fact that it is the maximum you can claim in a small claims court.”

Paul claimed a resounding victory at the hearing in ­Maidstone in May.

The judge ruled that the Wilsons had “ample opportunity” to repair the flue to avoid losing rent.

And Paul was right in “exercising the caution which one hopes that a gas inspector would exercise”.

“One has to look at, perhaps, the consequences of getting it wrong the other way around and saying that it is not at risk and then something absolutely ghastly happening,” read the judgment.

“In my view, there is no claim to be answered. Mr Masterson did his best.

“He certainly was not going to profit from not passing the boiler. He was not contracted to do repairs.

“He was simply contracted to carry out the safety check.”

Paul was awarded costs of £3,000 towards his legal bill of more than £5,500, but Judith Wilson still hasn’t paid up.

“Even though I’ve won the court battle, they’ve ignored the ­judgment as they know that it will cost me a large sum again to have it enforced,” said Paul.

“At the end of this I could have a debt of more than £10,000 and all because a landlord believed he knew best about my line of work and resented having to spend money on remedial work.”

I’ve asked the Wilsons to comment but they haven’t got back.

So I’ll end by revisiting one of their previous court battles.

In 2009, when they were listed as the 34th wealthiest couple in the Sunday Times Rich List, they sued two tenants over a damaged toilet cistern lid.

Rather than claiming for a new lid, Mrs Wilson demanded an entire new bathroom suite – costing £3,000.

A judge chucked out the claim, saying that the tenants had provided a suitable replacement lid.

They also questioned whether Mrs Wilson would have spent an award of £3,000 on a new bathroom suite for future tenants.

Solicitor Donna Payne, who acted for the tenants, said after the case: “It’s wonderful to see that the judge could see through everything the landlords were saying.

“They tried to bully these tenants – and failed.”

It's very interesting, the first action is to attempt to extort £5k from the gasman for lost rent rather than fix the flue at (presumably) modest expense while the previous tenant was in situ, which would have avoided the place becoming unlettable, and made the place safe for the tenant.

These people's instincts are to play the victim card, backed up with bullying via spurious court action.

Game on for some asset seizures for Mr Masterton?

Edited by cheeznbreed

Scum.

can we have a whip round for the gas man ?

:)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I'd gladly chuck him a few quid for enforcement.

Darn right. Crowd-sourced enforcement action. Anyone know how much this would cost?

I think this is him.

Paul Masterson Plumbing & Heating

2 Westmoors, Ashford, Kent, TN23 5UQ

Tel: 01233 637959

http://www.yell.com/biz/paul-masterson-plumbing-and-heating-ashford-901173792/

Edited by cheeznbreed

It's very interesting, the first action is to attempt to extort £5k from the gasman for lost rent rather than fix the flue at (presumably) modest expense while the previous tenant was in situ, which would have avoided the place becoming unlettable, and made the place safe for the tenant.

These people's instincts are to play the victim card, backed up with bullying via spurious court action.

Game on for some asset seizures for Mr Masterton?

An unpaid judgement debt, my first thought would be to commence bankruptcy proceedings.

An unpaid judgement debt, my first thought would be to commence bankruptcy proceedings.

What are the details to that action? Potential pitfalls?

To think Fergus considered himself fit for Police Commissioner.

So, how much would Mr Masterson require to pursue this debt to a conclusion?

Depends if he wants the money back (bailiffs) or doesn't (bankruptcy).

To think Fergus considered himself fit for Police Commissioner.

So, how much would Mr Masterson require to pursue this debt to a conclusion?

Some details here.

Not sure whether Justgiving would allow the creation of a page for such a purpose.

Other ideas for collecting the whip-round?

What are the details to that action? Potential pitfalls?

Cheez has posted a link above.

Looking at the above one has to go through the process of instructing the baliff to collect the debt and only if that is unsuccessful can bankruptcy proceedings be initiated. Once that is done one issues a statutory demand and if that is not satisfied one instructs a solicitor to petition the court for bankruptcy. Costs in addition to the baliff's costs are £700 (deposit) + £200 (court fee) plus solicitors costs. These are recoverable from the bankrupt's estate.

TBH if the baliff can't recover the debt then it's unlikely that there are sufficient assets available to recover the debt and the extra costs will be wasted.

In this case I'm surprised that the claimant can't afford to enforce the judgement; the cost of a warrant of execution (the baliff's fee) is £100, set against a £3,000 debt this is clearly trivial.

For debts of £5000 and over, you need a High Court Enforcement Officer, not a County Court Bailiff.

Details

I have no link to this firm, other than as a satisfied customer:

Sherforce High Court Enforcement

They charge £60 up front which is the Court fee to get the writ of fi fa issued by the High Court.

Then the Enforcement Officer pays the debtor a few visits.

If the visits do not result in any money being recovered, all they charge is a further £60 plus VAT.

If money is recovered, the debtor pays the charges on top of what you are owed +interest.

No legal knowledge required. All they need is details of the County Court Judgment and away they go.

Some details here.

Not sure whether Justgiving would allow the creation of a page for such a purpose.

Other ideas for collecting the whip-round?

Who's local to Ashford, they could liaise with Mr Masterson? Someone could collect the donations through PayPal I guess. We'd have to trust them though. Who's the most respected poster on here?