House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Cooked Micro S D Card.

I'm posting this in the hope it may help someone else.

I don't have much luck with high capacity micro SD cards. Bought a top spec 32Gb Lexar and six months later it lost it's file system and stopped working. After hours trying various software tools I managed to restore the file system but to be safe I replaced the card with a SanDisk Ultra of the same size. Another six months and that too died this morning but this time no recovery tools could fix it. In a last ditch effort I tried thermal shock, put the card on a baking tray over a gas hob for a minute or so and, before it melted, removed it and tried again. To my amazement it worked and all my data is now recovered. I've now ordered a Samsung card to replace it and am using the old Lexar in the meantime.

I'm posting this in the hope it may help someone else.

I don't have much luck with high capacity micro SD cards. Bought a top spec 32Gb Lexar and six months later it lost it's file system and stopped working. After hours trying various software tools I managed to restore the file system but to be safe I replaced the card with a SanDisk Ultra of the same size. Another six months and that too died this morning but this time no recovery tools could fix it. In a last ditch effort I tried thermal shock, put the card on a baking tray over a gas hob for a minute or so and, before it melted, removed it and tried again. To my amazement it worked and all my data is now recovered. I've now ordered a Samsung card to replace it and am using the old Lexar in the meantime.

Are there known issues with this format, or is your pattern of use hard on these devices? Seems very unfortunate to experience 2 failures in a short space of time. Glad the heating worked, noted.

Not that I know of. I use it in a Samsung Galaxy SII, mostly for camera storage and backups but I also run a satnav program directly off it.

Perhaps if the SatNav program writes and erases lots of maps data it could cause problems. I don't know how they work though.

Is a phone's operating system now capable of using a storage card as a paging file? I seem to revall that was a problem for desktop PCs with solid state drives, the frequent writing to the page file would create issues.

In a last ditch effort I tried thermal shock, put the card on a baking tray over a gas hob for a minute or so and, before it melted, removed it and tried again.

What kind of cheese did you put on it?

Guest eight

What kind of cheese did you put on it?

:lol:

I get the impression that 32GB is on the limit of viability for Micro SD. I've got one in my phone too but only for music to play in the car.

I tried to explain to my Dad one day how my first computer was 64K including the OS, and yet my phone now had a 32GB memory card. I think he understood but his eyes did seem to glaze over so maybe not.

As a last ditch effort worth trying, this is the opposite of putting hard drives in the freezer to recover data.

Where did you read heating up like this work or was it just some vague knowledge you heard about in the past?

I've got a 32gb card in my phone had it over a year and no issues, had a 32gb card in my mp3 player again no issues in about 2.5 years although this card only gets data written too once as I don't delete on it.

As others have said is the phone doing a lot of reading/writing/deleting on the card or your just an unlucky bar steward who gets sent dodgy cards are you buying from some Chinese import company at a good price? :P

:lol:

I get the impression that 32GB is on the limit of viability for Micro SD. I've got one in my phone too but only for music to play in the car.

I tried to explain to my Dad one day how my first computer was 64K including the OS, and yet my phone now had a 32GB memory card. I think he understood but his eyes did seem to glaze over so maybe not.

I've still got my old QL somewhere. When I bought it people told me that I would never use 128K.

Had the reverse with a duff hard drive once. Stuck it in the fridge and got all the data back during a copy. Had to keep cooling it down a few times and took an hour but got it all back in the end.

As a last ditch effort worth trying, this is the opposite of putting hard drives in the freezer to recover data.

Where did you read heating up like this work or was it just some vague knowledge you heard about in the past?

I've got a 32gb card in my phone had it over a year and no issues, had a 32gb card in my mp3 player again no issues in about 2.5 years although this card only gets data written too once as I don't delete on it.

As others have said is the phone doing a lot of reading/writing/deleting on the card or your just an unlucky bar steward who gets sent dodgy cards are you buying from some Chinese import company at a good price? :P

It was based on an educated hunch, having spent most of my working life in and around the electronics industry.

Interestingly the card is still working. I haven't put it back in the phone but it's sitting in a USB adaptor which I plug into my laptop from time to time out of curiosity.