House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Authoritarian

The Edl's Tommy Robinson

The EDL have a terrible reputation for thuggery etc so I was surprised to discover that their leader : Tommy Robinson, comes across as a likable, well-informed, well-intentioned chap. Due to the Woolwhich murder I've been watching a few of his youtube videos these past couple of weeks and tbh I've found it incredibly difficult to disagree with his assessment of the situation, even though he's supposedly part of the 'far-right'.

Have the mainstream media been lying to us (again) by presenting the EDL in an unfairly negative light? Make your own mind up:

Well, he's going to (in his videos obviously) come across well.

The media of course will tell us any EDL member is a violent hooligan who will begin a mass murder campaign the minute he see's a hijab.

The truth is somewhere in between i guess. I dont trust the EDL but neither do I trust the BBC to provide a balanced insight on them.

Well, he's going to (in his videos obviously) come across well.

The media of course will tell us any EDL member is a violent hooligan who will begin a mass murder campaign the minute he see's a hijab.

The truth is somewhere in between i guess. I dont trust the EDL but neither do I trust the BBC to provide a balanced insight on them.

Because a lot of the EDL want to remain annonymous for obvious reasons (no 'reasonable' person could possibly be seen protesting against radical Islam, it could cost them their job) it's difficult to say who the typical EDL supporter is. I'm only basing my assessment on Tommy Robinson, and I have to say he makes far more sense than your average identi-kit liblabcon politician. There's a great clip on youtube (Russia Today I believe) where he destroys this lofty, exeter born academic so badly it's embarrassing.

I'm just shocked that the mainstream perecption of Robinson is so detached from the reality.

Like him or not he is a seriously brave man.

Indeed. So far he's racked up 4 Osman warnings, which means the police believe he's in severe danger of being killed for saying what he does.

Balls of steel I'd say, yet he's depicted as a racist.

The EDL have a terrible reputation for thuggery etc so I was surprised to discover that their leader : Tommy Robinson, comes across as a likable, well-informed, well-intentioned chap. Due to the Woolwhich murder I've been watching a few of his youtube videos these past couple of weeks and tbh I've found it incredibly difficult to disagree with his assessment of the situation, even though he's supposedly part of the 'far-right'.

Have the mainstream media been lying to us (again) by presenting the EDL in an unfairly negative light? Make your own mind up:

As does ex-Klansman David Duke. He has a YT channel filled with well-produced videos, complete with soothing muzak. Fill yer boots.

You might find it interesting to do a little digging on Tommy Robinson/ Paul Harris/ Stephen Yaxley-Lennon/ whatever the f*** his real name is' motivations and affiliations and those of EDL founder Alan Lake/ Alan Ayling. Even some British White Nationalists have smelled a rat.

btw I only played the first couple of minutes of the vid. Life's too short to listen to someone who did time for assaulting a policeman during a domestic w*nking on about Muslims disrespecting people in uniform.

Because a lot of the EDL want to remain annonymous for obvious reasons (no 'reasonable' person could possibly be seen protesting against radical Islam, it could cost them their job) it's difficult to say who the typical EDL supporter is. I'm only basing my assessment on Tommy Robinson, and I have to say he makes far more sense than your average identi-kit liblabcon politician. There's a great clip on youtube (Russia Today I believe) where he destroys this lofty, exeter born academic so badly it's embarrassing.

I'm just shocked that the mainstream perecption of Robinson is so detached from the reality.

Believe me, i dont disagree, im very much on the Pat Condell side of things when it comes to Islam or even any religion. I just think he must realize how hundreds of young men who rightly or wrongly are categorized as yobbos marching up a street, shouting and waving flags must look to the averaged conditioned public. Its a gift to the BBC. Most people wont bother listening to his views, they'll just take one look at the BBC coverage and say 'oh look, its the national front'

I only played the first couple of minutes of the vid. Life's too short to listen to someone who did time for assaulting a policeman during a domestic w*nking on about Muslims disrespecting people in uniform.

Wasn't it an off-duty policeman - i.e. not in uniform?

Wasn't it an off-duty policeman - i.e. not in uniform?

Fair point.

edit: He has been involved in numerous assaults though. So this 'isn't he a reasonable chap line' isn't working for me.

As does ex-Klansman David Duke. He has a YT channel filled will well-produced videos, complete with soothing muzak. Fill yer boots.

You might find it interesting to do a little digging on Tommy Robinson/ Paul Harris/ Stephen Yaxley-Lennon/ whatever the f*** his real name is' motivations and affiliations and those of EDL founder Alan Lake/ Alan Ayling. Even some British White Nationalists have smelled a rat.

btw I only played the first couple of minutes of the vid. Life's too short to listen to someone who did time for assaulting a policeman during a domestic w*nking about Muslims disrespecting people in uniform.

White British Nationalists are annoyed that they no longer hold the monopoly on anti-Islamic rhetoric so they accuse Robinson of working on behalf of the 'Zionists'. It's a joke, and anyone who regurgitates their nonsense without questioning their motivations is also a joke.

White British Nationalists are annoyed that they no longer hold the monopoly on anti-Islamic rhetoric so they accuse Robinson of working on behalf of the 'Zionists'. It's a joke, and anyone who regurgitates their nonsense is without questioning their motivations is also a joke.

This thread is currently skirting the line of what I suspect is going to be considered acceptable by the mods. Consequently, I'm feeling a little constrained about what is appropriate to post or link to.

Even parking that contentious stuff to one side, the man has a habit of hitting people. Not someone I would personally point to as a reasonable spokesperson for my point of view, even if I agreed with him.

edit: I think this doesn't cross any lines though, Tommy Robinson/ EDL Press release via Pam Geller's blog...

The English Defence League was formed two years ago. One of the fundamental beliefs that this movement was built on was its support for Israel’s right to defend itself. In our first demonstrations, we went to Birmingham, and we flew the flag of Israel, the Star of David. In the first public speech I ever gave, I wore the Star of David in Leeds. The reason for this is because Israel is a shining star of democracy. If Israel falls, we all fall. This is what our movement has been built on for two years.

This thread is currently skirting the line of what I suspect is going to be considered acceptable by the mods. Consequently, I'm feeling a little constrained about what is appropriate to post or link to.

Even parking that contentious stuff to one side, the man has a habit of hitting people. Not someone I would personally point to as a reasonable spokesperson for my point of view, even if I agreed with him.

Robinson was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme earlier this week so it's a little rich to suggest that an assessment of his position is somehow beyond the pale of what is deemed acceptable.

He's a mainstream figure who's been interview by all the major broadcasters, the only people who want him censored are the apologists who cannot accept that Islam can ever put a foot wrong, of which I suspect you're one.

edit: I think this doesn't cross any lines though, Tommy Robinson/ EDL Press release via Pam Geller's blog...

Your assessment is correct. This is a forum about house prices and the economy with an off topic sub forum added on at the end. It is not a political forum and if you want to platform political and contentious items then you are on the wrong forum.

This thread is being closed shortly.

He's a mainstream figure who's been interview by all the major broadcasters, the only people who want him censored are the apologists who cannot accept that Islam can ever put a foot wrong, of which I suspect you're one.

Well, why not stick me on the list, come The Day

Oh, hang on, that might not work out. It's the Tommy Robinson's of this world who usually get put up against the wall first (once they've outlived their usefulness)...

wiki: Ernst Rohm

Actually, I do not want Robinson censored. I'm all for airing cobblers and taking it on in the open. Likewise, I believe that Islam is plenty capable of putting a foot wrong. But I can't see any of that cutting the mustard with someone who thinks a man convicted of multiple violent assaults is some kind of beacon of reason.

Ooh can I sneak in quick before the thread is closed? :huh:

The reason for this is because Israel is a shining star of democracy. If Israel falls, we all fall. This is what our movement has been built on for two years.

I think it is the more undemocratic inclinations of Israel that appeal to the EDL. They are both big on victim mentality as well - Robinson within the first minute with his assessment of Woolwich when security experts have said for years that foreign occupation will lead to increased terrorism "around the world".

More than 95 percent of all suicide attacks are in response to foreign occupation, according to extensive research that we conducted at the University of Chicago’s Project on Security and Terrorism, where we examined every one of the over 2,200 suicide attacks across the world from 1980 to the present day. As the United States has occupied Afghanistan and Iraq, which have a combined population of about 60 million, total suicide attacks worldwide have risen dramatically — from about 300 from 1980 to 2003, to 1,800 from 2004 to 2009. Further, over 90 percent of suicide attacks worldwide are now anti-American. The vast majority of suicide terrorists hail from the local region threatened by foreign troops, which is why 90 percent of suicide attackers in Afghanistan are Afghans.

Israelis have their own narrative about terrorism, which holds that Arab fanatics seek to destroy the Jewish state because of what it is, not what it does. But since Israel withdrew its army from Lebanon in May 2000, there has not been a single Lebanese suicide attack. Similarly, since Israel withdrew from Gaza and large parts of the West Bank, Palestinian suicide attacks are down over 90 percent.

Its the occupation stupid

I don't know. He talks some sense, but comes off as ignorant somehow. Using the word "standard" and "muppet" doesn't help me take him seriously.

Where are the intelligent and eloquent figure heads who will stand up and be counted? because there are points here that need to raised and people's views need to be represented. The UK media is horribly biased, and that's partly due to fear I think.

Guest eight

I don't know. He talks some sense, but comes off as ignorant somehow. Using the word "standard" and "muppet" doesn't help me take him seriously.

Where are the intelligent and eloquent figure heads who will stand up and be counted? because there are points here that need to raised and people's views need to be represented. The UK media is horribly biased, and that's partly due to fear I think.

Yeah, I thought the same. He made some good points, some poor points and generally was not too coherent. I (for instance) would be better, but then I don't agree with everything they stand for so that wouldn't be much good......