House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

The Most Important Question Of Our Time

Guest eight

For the purposes of sorting your recycling, are cereal boxes considered to be cardboard, or paper?

National Geographic take on it:

Paper cardboard often makes up the single biggest component in anyone's trash. (See References 1) About 90 percent of everything that ships in the United States is wrapped in some kind of cardboard packaging, so the benefit of getting this material out of the waste stream can be significant. Cardboard does not have poisonous components, so recycling is safe and relatively easy. Recycling also saves energy, natural resources and landfill space. There are two types of recyclable cardboard --- paperboard and corrugated cardboard. (See References 2)

Paperboard

Paperboard, also known as chipboard or boxboard, is a very stiff, flat cardboard that sometimes is coated with substances that give it a glossy sheen. Cereal boxes, tissue boxes and shoe boxes are some of the many products made with paperboard. (See References 2)

Corrugated Cardboard

Corrugated cardboard is made by sandwiching wavy, fluted pieces of paper between two or more flat sheets of paper to create a very strong, stiff paper. (See References 2) Used mainly for shipping, corrugated cardboard has the best recycling record of any packaging material. In the United States in 2007, more than 25 million tons --- about 78 percent of all the corrugated cardboard produced that year --- was collected and recycled. (See References 3)

Restrictions

Many recycling programs take corrugated cardboard as long as the boxes have been emptied and flattened to make transporting them easier. Containers such as pizza boxes that have been contaminated with grease or oil usually cannot be recycled. Water also contaminates cardboard, so collection programs usually reject wet boxes. Milk cartons and other containers with wax coatings are not recyclable. (See References 4, 5)

Reuse It

The best quality virgin wood pulp fibers typically wear out by their seventh recycling and cannot be used again. Many cardboard products already have some recycled content so their recycling life is even shorter. (See References 6) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests reusing products like corrugated packing boxes as a good way to delay sending their used pulp fibers into the waste stream. (See References 7) Shredded cardboard also works well in garden compost piles when you layer it with grass clippings. (See References 4)

Amazon packing paper

It looks like paper, feels a bit like cardboard

For Chinese landfill purposes I doubt the correct classification is all that significant

For Chinese landfill purposes I doubt the correct classification is all that significant

The important thing about cardboard is whether it makes good bee smoke or not. :)

Guest eight

Are paper and card collected separately?

The tip has a letterbox thing for "paper and magazines" and a skip for "cardboard". There are separate bins for "cartons (NO cardboard PLEASE!!!!)" and "telephone directories".

Collections just take everything mixed in together, but I take mine to the tip myself as the emptied recycling box has a habit of blowing away.

Well, I always thought that anything that looked vaguely paper or cardboard went into the paper bag, anything vaguely plastic, or mainly plastic into the plastic bag.

Email the council(agency/quango in charge of waste management) and ask.

Write to them on a lovely thick bit of paper that is almost but probably not cardboard, maybe. Ideally slightly shiny on one side, and a bit of sticky tape on the corner.

The important thing about cardboard is whether it makes good bee smoke or not. :)

You burn any old stuff to make smoke?

I would have thought that some of the glues and binding agents in card, when burnt, would produce all sorts of organic toxins.

Maybe we now know why bees are endangered.

You burn any old stuff to make smoke?

I would have thought that some of the glues and binding agents in card, when burnt, would produce all sorts of organic toxins.

Maybe we now know why bees are endangered.

The packing material hives come in is particularly recommended.

You can use any non-shiny corrugated cardboard. And you can use rotted wood, sawdust, lavender stalks, dried grass.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/smofuel.html

and many other things..

Bees die of cold and starvation in bad weather during winter when they're not smoked. Varroa is the main other culprit.

Oh and the use of insecticides..

Well behaved bees need very little smoke, if any.

The packing material hives come in is particularly recommended.

You can use any non-shiny corrugated cardboard. And you can use rotted wood, sawdust, lavender stalks, dried grass.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/smofuel.html

and many other things..

Bees die of cold and starvation in bad weather during winter when they're not smoked. Varroa is the main other culprit.

Oh and the use of insecticides..

Well behaved bees need very little smoke, if any.

I thought the smoke was to frighten them off while you stole their honey.

They actually benefit from smoking? Do they get high? Do they taste better, like kippers?

They actually benefit from smoking? Do they get high? Do they taste better, like kippers?

You've never eaten smoked honey? :o

I don't know but I wish I could get the wife to stop contaminating our recycling bin with tetra packs.

Do we share the same wife? :unsure:

some councils wont take shredded paper in the paper recycling bag..something to do with window envelopes I heard.

Do we share the same wife? :unsure:

I think I'm sharing her as well.

The smoke makes them think the hive is on fire and they stuff themselves with honey and then are too full to sting.

That's the theory.

If you have nice gentle bees then they don't do anything to you apart from bob about a bit and crawl over the frames. When they get tired of you being in their hive their note changes and you know you should shut it back up and leave them alone. It's at this point they might buzz round your face. If you stay there then they'd probably start pinging your veil, that's a real sign you should leave them alone.

I do wear gloves and a veil to inspect them because being stung hurts and should be avoided as it can aggravate them as they secrete a pheromone on stinging to warn of danger.

If you have nasty bees they might start pinging you a lot sooner.

You can get really mean bees who'll follow you when you leave the hive area and they need requeening as it's not good behaviour.

It also helps if you're very gentle with the bees and don't drop the frames or boxes about.

Someone (the old git) smoked my hive like mad the other day when he was having a look in. Whilst the smoker is lit it is well away from the hive as they are very gentle and really don't need smoking. the note of buzz got angrier and I had to tell OG to stop it - it was completely not needed - just something he has read in a book about smoking them.

Smoke can get them off the edges of the boxes when you're re-assembling it all, not a huge problem if you're careful putting them down and moving them back in place.

I don't know but I wish I could get the wife to stop contaminating our recycling bin with tetra packs.

Tetrapacks go in the paper recycling here.

For the purposes of sorting your recycling, are cereal boxes considered to be cardboard, or paper?

Where I live, we have blue wheelie bins that have a caddy in the top; the body of the bin is for plastic bottles, cans and cardboard, and the caddy is for paper. In addition, a few weeks ago, as per the instructions from the council, I put a smallish electrical item (a temperamental DVD player) into a separate carrier bag by the side of the bin for collection.

I happened to be working at the kitchen table on bin day, allowing me to see the collection through the window: the guy opened the bin, tipped the contents of the paper caddy into the body of the bin, chucked the bagged DVD player into the bin as well, and emptied the whole thing into the back of the truck.

There's probably a moral to this story, if only I could work it out.

Cereal boxes must be cardboard, surely.

Having moved local authority in the recent past, it's funny how the service varies. Last place took everything apart from food waste and tetrapacks, current LA takes those but not plastic bags/wrapping.

Somewhere must take pretty much everything. My landfill bin is collected this morning and has two lightly packed bags in it, barely half full after a fortnight. If they recycled plastics in the same was the last place did, we'd not fill it for a couple of months at least I guess.

Guest eight

Cereal boxes must be cardboard, surely.

Thanks for all the replies; I can't help noticing that this is the nearest thing to a definitive answer that anybody has come up with!

Think I will indeed just chuck it in the cardboard skip and stop trying to be so compliant.

Just stuff it all in the black wheelie! It all ends up in the same place anyway! :angry: