House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheLongestLurker

Black Thursday

If Japan's rates move to 2.2% some 80% of their budget will go on interest payments.

http://www.financial..._medium=twitter

(of course this is only a problem if they have to pay that on new issues....in which time it is probably the BoJ that will be buying them, paying the interest and forgiving it. Meanwhile, the Japanese people who hold the damn things have been impoverished )

this is the point, it is only people that ultimately hold these things...there are no Martians holding them, robots dont care and computers count.

when the currency is worthless, that is all that is worthless....business will carry on as usual without all the pretence of wealth that a manipulated currency can provide.

this is the point, it is only people that ultimately hold these things...there are no Martians holding them, robots dont care and computers count.

when the currency is worthless, that is all that is worthless....business will carry on as usual without all the pretence of wealth that a manipulated currency can provide.

The pretence of wealth is what's keeping our food and energy affordable. If the currency becomes worthless then it most assuredly won't be business as usual.

In relative terms they have shot up and around the last couple of months.

Good article here.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/06/13/business/as-japan-seeks-revival-hedge-funds-bet-on-horrifying-bond-bust/#.UbmTopzNmio

Interesting read - thanks. I will watch Japanese bonds with growing interest. I am already confused and fascinated by their television and anime industries. Perhaps Godzilla will save them.

In relative terms they have shot up and around the last couple of months.

Good article here.

http://www.japantime...t/#.UbmTopzNmio

Interesting link thanks.

Gartman on CNBC saying "these situations frighten me" over fall of USDJPY. Really?

Currently at 94 level. It was 84 last December, though its now in a real correction zone of a 38.2-50% retrace of this years rise and has broken through the Daily 100 Moving Average.

The Jap "carry trade" is unravelling apparently. Corps were borrowing to invest in emerging markets. Oh dear, what a shame.

The pretence of wealth is what's keeping our food and energy affordable. If the currency becomes worthless then it most assuredly won't be business as usual.

Value is contained in buildings, in an educated workforce, in organisations, in infrastructure, manufacturing capacity and capacity to deliver services.

Money is just a way of keeping score of all this. The fact that our system for keeping score is utterly fekked does not mean that the value has vanished. Indeed, the biggest problem is that we treat money as something more than a scorecard.

I said a few weeks back as the FTSE was soaring, lots of people were talking about moving their savings into the stock market, due to the low interest rates.

I really hope they didn't !!!!

from what I've read and heard the sucker of last resort aka joe public,han'turned up for his ritual rinsing for this rally.

A few must have bought into it....

The people who were talking about it in our office have gone quiet.

I'm sure there will be another surge....soon....ish.

A link from the earlier bloomberg link

http://

www.bloomberg.com/video/living-in-a-new-rate-reality-_GTUj6lIQ2SARe~ETI5q7A.html

It's just for a few minutes and posting the link doesn't necessarily mean agreement with it but it's remarkable how the very last point made was another inevitable punt in favour of buying housing right now.

Investors didn't dump all their stocks during the crisis, but fewer households now hold equities than a decade ago, according to the Investment Company Institute, a U.S. mutual fund trade organization.'

That might well be because of the "your shares will double every 10 years" lie that used to be punted in the media, them that bought into it have realized they have been fleeced.

I've heard that sort of thing recently about other investments...can't remember what off the top of my hear though :rolleyes:

There's been a distinct lack of Black day threads recently (apart from Tuesday's!) so I'm getting this one in albeit a bit late.

TLL

Congratulations on your Black Thursday thread. The black swan has landed. The Japanese Nikkei is down 6.35% today.

7987147630_47d4d4b849_z.jpg

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

I think the thread was posted AFTER that fall. :D

They're all asleep in Japan right now. All those Japan banksters dreaming of being dressed as Japanese schoolgirls driving around in tanks and being rescued by godzilla :blink:

Good call - DOW shot up almost 200 points.

Edit: In fact,

US Stocks Have Best Day In Six Months Following Japanese Collapse

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-13/us-stocks-best-day-six-months-following-japanese-collapse

TTL can you let us know when you next intend to call a 'Black' thread as I will want to stick all my cash in shares the day before :P

Edited by The Masked Tulip