House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Knimbies who say No

Legal Question About Identifying Witnesses

I'd urge posters to be careful here, it's not my intention to give the mods a hard time here.

There is a trial ongoing regarding an adult who absconded with a young girl.

At the time they disappeared, the name of both parties was all over the press. Now a trial has started and the child cannot be named 'for legal reasons', despite the name being on related articles on the same websites who are now reporting from the trial.

Can any legal eagles here explain why the restriction is in place, given it is plainly not offering the protection it would to someone in a case which did not attract any media attention prior to the trial? It seems bizarre.

Is it simply a case of trying to minimise the (presumably unwanted) publiciy given to the child?

I'd urge posters to be careful here, it's not my intention to give the mods a hard time here.

There is a trial ongoing regarding an adult who absconded with a young girl.

At the time they disappeared, the name of both parties was all over the press. Now a trial has started and the child cannot be named 'for legal reasons', despite the name being on related articles on the same websites who are now reporting from the trial.

Can any legal eagles here explain why the restriction is in place, given it is plainly not offering the protection it would to someone in a case which did not attract any media attention prior to the trial? It seems bizarre.

Is it simply a case of trying to minimise the (presumably unwanted) publiciy given to the child?

I think it's probably that last bit.

When it started I think it was in effect a missing child case and therefore hiding the identiy would be counter-productive.

I think it's probably that last bit.

When it started I think it was in effect a missing child case and therefore hiding the identiy would be counter-productive.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the identity of the child should have been kept private at the time they went missing, certainly not.

It just seems a bit odd, in the internet world, that you can be reading a story which states a person cannot be named for legal reasons, while elsewhere on the same site the person is named.

Is it the one where it was really morally bad, and all over the papers that people were outraged how morally bad it was, until the Savile scandal broke and that was so, so morally bad that people were so outraged at how morally bad that was they didn't have any outrage left for the thing before they thought they were all morally outraged about but now that's all died down it looks like the plan is now for people to get outraged at how morally bad it was all over again.

Anyone might think a lot of the population have issues with impure thoughts about young people. I think we should throwaway the key anyway in the name of stepdads everywhere feeling less guilty about having peeked at shower time.