House Price Crash Forum
The Preacherman

Upmarket Furniture Store Dwell Close To Collapse

Upmarket Furniture Store

In my experience they are far from this and the furniture they sell is of poor quality due to its cheap materials and it does not last as well as being horrendously overpriced. It's the sort of rubbish that you see in Tallulah and Hugo's Islington townhouse in the Sunday Times or in an overpriced BTL slave box rental advertised by Foxtons.

I remember walking into their store in Angel with the GF having been doing some DIY and perhaps not looking as they'd expect one of their normal customers to look :lol:. Naturally we were ignored by the staff despite there being no other customers in the store.

The funny thing was that I had just been to the bank around the corner to draw out £8k in £20 notes to pay for some works / labour. And eventually I went up to the three of them chattering at the till and explained that I had taken out this cash to buy a new sofa and dining table, but obviously my cash wasn't good enough for them and we walked out. We were followed out by someone apologising who I basically told to foxtrot oscar. Whilst I had no intention of buying their shite it was quite funny.

Edited by SEW247

The funny thing was that I had just been to the bank around the corner to draw out £8k in £20 notes to pay for some works / labour. And eventually I went up to the three of them chattering at the till and explained that I had taken out this cash to buy a new sofa and dining table, but obviously my cash wasn't good enough for them and we walked out. We were followed out by someone apologising who I basically told to foxtrot oscar. Whilst I had no intention of buying their shite it was quite funny.

EXCELLENT! More people should do this. I hate being ignored by assistants like that, would love to have seen the look on their faces when you did your "loadsamoney" moment :)

EXCELLENT! More people should do this. I hate being ignored by assistants like that, would love to have seen the look on their faces when you did your "loadsamoney" moment :)

Suite!

Upmarket Furniture Store

In my experience they are far from this and the furniture they sell is of poor quality due to its cheap materials and it does not last as well as being horrendously overpriced. It's the sort of rubbish that you see in Tallulah and Hugo's Islington townhouse in the Sunday Times or in an overpriced BTL slave box rental advertised by Foxtons.

Aren't they a reincarnation of an earlier attempt by their owner at running a chain of furniture shops. I can't remember what they were called now but I recall them advertising in the Sunday Times supplement. Same style of furniture and same catalogue format.

EXCELLENT! More people should do this. I hate being ignored by assistants like that

Funny, I have exactly the opposite reaction. I've in the past emailed head offices of stores to explain how I walked out in response to being harassed by overzealous shop assistants. The day they do away with almost all of them, and instruct the remainders not to speak until spoken to, will make the high street a far more pleasant experience.

Apparently they're looking to do a flat-pack administration.

I thought it was part of the standard industry model to be permanently in administration/bankruptcy sale.

It's not gone yet. Two people I know personally had their money refunded from Dwell the other day, on an order they'd already decided to cancel, before hearing about any trading strains. They have a flat, fluke-ing out in early 2009 and buying at not too bad a price, before the stimulus reflation.

Cheltenham:

Tuesday, 18 June 2013.

If the doors closed at Dwell, it would leave The Brewery without shops, after Habitat closed down in 2011. The Brewery is planning a multi-million pound scheme to expand its site – hoping to bring in more shops, not less.

A collapse of the chain, which has a £34m turnover, could affect 350 staff nationwide, of which four are based at the Cheltenham branch in The Brewery.

http://www.thisisglo...tail/story.html

A lot of ancient planners need to be made redundant or pensioned off. Same type of planners I blame for only allowing mansions to be built on sites around here, and against 2-4 quite spacious homes on the same plot. Oldies see things differently when they've got large homes worth fortunes themselves.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mr Henry believes that, on the other hand, it will give the town centre a chance to expand. He said: "I take the point that shops like Dwell – and also Habitat which is now no more – need large floor space and is made more difficult because that's more expensive.

http://www.thisisglo...tail/story.html

Edited by Venger

Funny, I have exactly the opposite reaction. I've in the past emailed head offices of stores to explain how I walked out in response to being harassed by overzealous shop assistants. The day they do away with almost all of them, and instruct the remainders not to speak until spoken to, will make the high street a far more pleasant experience.

That's an opposite extreme though, not the same thing at all. There's a wide scale which includes being totally ignored, being politely asked "Is there anything I can help you with?", and being harassed by a pushy idiot. Both extremes are unacceptable. The middle one can be headed off with a glare if you really don't want to be disturbed, but if they don't offer assistance, tentatively if you like, then they aren't doing their jobs.

After buying my house I enjoyed wandering around their big store outside Birmingham getting ideas for furniture.

Than I'd go to Cargo & buy it for a third of the price. Says it all really ...