House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ubuntu

How Long Is A Day?

As a contractor when you quote your day rate how many hours does that cover? One of the recruitment consultants ( ie parasites) I am using tells me that in central London that would cover the hours from 8 to 6, I told them I don't accept that & my rate is based on 9 to 5.30.

As a contractor when you quote your day rate how many hours does that cover? One of the recruitment consultants ( ie parasites) I am using tells me that in central London that would cover the hours from 8 to 6, I told them I don't accept that & my rate is based on 9 to 5.30.

I had an agency quote a day as 'a professional day', which in essence boiled down to 'as long as it takes'.

If you are in an industry where you have pricing power, stick to your guns. A friend (IT contractor) once was subject to an attempt to get him to work an extra half hour per day for the same money, he successfully held out against it. Maybe it's easier if you're already in the job though. A sure-fire way to shorten your life is to sign up to a crazy hour contract which ain't sustainable in the long run.

I had an agency quote a day as 'a professional day', which in essence boiled down to 'as long as it takes'.

If you are in an industry where you have pricing power, stick to your guns. A friend (IT contractor) once was subject to an attempt to get him to work an extra half hour per day for the same money, he successfully held out against it. Maybe it's easier if you're already in the job though. A sure-fire way to shorten your life is to sign up to a crazy hour contract which ain't sustainable in the long run.

I wuld love to be a contract astronomer. They charge by the sidereal day, which is slightly shorter.

I wuld love to be a contract astronomer. They charge by the sidereal day, which is slightly shorter.

Your best bet is contract work on Jupiter, shortest day in the solar system.

Re the hours, it depends on your industry too. Is it an industry that can regularly demand long hours? I.e. a journo's hours can be a standard 9-6, or 9 to mid-night depending on the publishing deadlines. The day rate looks ok on paper, the hourly rate becomes dreadful..

On the other hand, you're always working nights.

My last one was stated as 7.5 per day but i usually did 6-7.

Fighting the system from with me.

Proper hero :D

The one in your avatar?

She is the head of infrastructure.

If you're a lawyer or work for one of the big four it's 48 hrs.

....a day for some is working full-time in a highly paid salaried job, having your own business that you invest 100% of your time to and still have enough time left at the end of the week to spend Friday afternoons down at the golf course. ;)

I have an hourly rate for this very reason.....

Me too.

10% off for a working day of 7 hours.

includes travel time.

I go with 7.5 hours.

If I have to go over this then I make noises about having done most of my weekly hours already then go home Friday lunchtime.

I get this sort of bullsh1t all the time from bosses. I just tell them to do one. They keep coming back and asking me in different ways. My answer is always the same and in fact I become even more entrenched in my position and repeated requests just destroy any goodwill I may have had.

I work, you pay me. How difficult is this?

Had a useless boss ask me if I was interested in a 3 month project yesterday. I smelt a rat straight off and sure enough weekends were mentioned. I said I didn't mind the odd bit of weekend working but it won't be every weekend and I'd be taking time off in lieu. She got arsey and told me being expected to do weekends is what my bonus is for. Funny that the bonus scheme states that 50% comes from company performance and 50% from individual and team objectives. Didn't see anything about unpaid overtime in there. After that I proceeded to ignore her and returned to my work. I looked round a couple of minutes later and she was still there! Ha ha. Didn't get another word out of me. I try not to talk to managers as it only f'ing encourages them.

I take this stance not just for me but for all my fellow workers who are pressured into working extra hours. If only others wouldn't cave in (or worse, be enthusiastic about it) then we would all have better working conditions.