House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Paignton School Refuses Child Lunch Over £1.75 Debt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-22855011

A father has taken both of his children out of a Devon primary school after one was refused lunch because the family owed £1.75.

Gary Lynn, who has also resigned as a governor at Hayes Primary School in Paignton, accused the school of "physical and emotional neglect" reminiscent of Oliver Twist.

He said his 11-year-old-son, Jacob, was in tears after being refused the meal.

The school said its kitchen staff were "abiding by the rules".

Given an apple

Mr Lynn accused the school of creating a policy which "looks at using a child as a weapon in case any parent dares to default on a single day's payment".

Madness or a sensible policy to stop abuse by those parents who don't pay? No mention if this was a regular occurrence or just one time mistake.

Is no meal for a £1.75 debt totalitarian?

Well if we want to teach the next generation about paying your debts, we've got to start somewhere :blink:

That genuinely did make me LOL. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-22855011

Madness or a sensible policy to stop abuse by those parents who don't pay? No mention if this was a regular occurrence or just one time mistake.

Is no meal for a £1.75 debt totalitarian?

Quote from the school in the vid says the parents were told on 3 occasions about the debt prior to the incident. Sounds like the dads just chucking toys out of the pram. Homeschooling your child and finding a new school for the younger one seems a tad OTT.

Homeschooling your child and finding a new school for the younger one seems a tad OTT.

I don't mind paying a teacher's pay but I object to paying his/her pension. My FIL retired from teaching seven or eight years ago now and he still gets given a handout worth more than I pay myself running my own business and working 60+ hours a week, and he will until the day he dies. His NI contributions didn't pay for that, mine do.

They should of rolled the debt together with other childrens debts and sold them on to pension schemes and banks etc as triple A debts and credit default swaps.Once the pension funds and banks suffered defaults the government would bail them out.No child needed to go without at all as the other childrens money was inflated away to make good the first £1.75.

Should lock him up for starving his kid, if he can't afford £1.75 where is all that child benefit going. Why is it no one wants to be responsible these days, I hate this I'm entitled to this and that attitude.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Finally a School that is teaching kids something worthwhile.

The blame should be directed towards to the tight arsed or feckless parent.

As a parent who had to allow his child to be fingerprinted so that he could be identified and his 'account' debited when he 'buys' his lunch I think you are missing the point. Sometimes it is not possible to top up a child's account due to the p1ss poor IT systems the school runs. At the local school the canteen staff do not allow a child to put a dinner back if they find they haven't got enough credit. They override the system and email us. This is the right thing to do. Humiliating a child because the payment system is crap or a busy parent without Internet connectivity (we have all been there!) misses a day's payment is wrong on every level.

Note that in the normal course of events the school has been credited with at least a week's money for every pupil who might eat at the school. For the local school that is around an average cash balance of £22,000 of unspent credit in their accounting system. Every business expects 30 days or more credit before they pay their bills. Businesses are 'persons' in the strict sense of the word, just like pupils and adults. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Its not like anyone can cheat the system, they have been fingerprinted for chrissake.

BTW how do you know the parent is feckless? They might just not have any money, the belief that everyone gets state aid is 'billhooks'. I've been in the position where I could get no state aid of any sort and the last 50p had to go in the gas meter to stop the taps freezing.

Having also been robbed by Westminster bank of my last £10 I can tell you I came within a whisker of retailiating and robbing the bank.

Children should pay for their lunches in cash - not through some online payment system all set up for the convenience of the school and causing more arguments and problems than it solves.

Children should pay for their lunches in cash - not through some online payment system all set up for the convenience of the school and causing more arguments and problems than it solves.

The problem is the kids spend it at the chip-shop and the canteen doesn't make any profit.

Many canteens are privately run.

I always thought of school canteens as unnecessary, scrap the lot of them and tell the kids to bring sandwiches.

Most people in real jobs have a light lunch to avoid feeling drowsy in the afternoon.

The reality is we are getting poorer and having a number of staff in every school dedicated to providing the luxury of a hot meal is a way of life we can no longer afford…

I always thought of school canteens as unnecessary, scrap the lot of them and tell the kids to bring sandwiches.

Most people in real jobs have a light lunch to avoid feeling drowsy in the afternoon.

The reality is we are getting poorer and having a number of staff in every school dedicated to providing the luxury of a hot meal is a way of life we can no longer afford…

....the hot home made satisfying school dinners was once one of the better reasons for attending school......can't speak for what is served up today. ;)

thought this was another link to a Daily Meal Story, blown up for the angle as usual.

Might be trouble 'scrapping' the lot as many will be 20+ years PFI scheme private run contracts.

For some kids, that hot meal will be the only one they get. Generally, I'd expect kids to bring sandwiches, but if the parents can't afford that and the kid's on FSM, it's probably a fair bet that you need to feed them well 'cause they're not going to get something filling and healthy in the evening.