House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Uk's £37 Billion Pound Infrastructure Investment

link

Speaking at the Business Travel Conference (4-5 June), Hammond noted that business travel managers are among the "best informed and most discerning" commentators on the travel infrastructure in the UK.

He added that £1.5bn has been pledged to improve the road network to ease congestion and speed up journeys.

Hammond also welcomed an "unprecedented commitment to the future of rail" with Network Rail planning to spend £37 billion to run and expand the railway between 2014 and 2019.

Hammond also discussed plans to deliver 140,000 seats on trains at peak times by the end of the decade and a focus on increasing airport capacity through the Airports Commission, due to publish their first report later this year.

Egencia UK (the event sponsor) managing director Graham Kingsmill said: "I was pleased to hear from the Minister the plans Government are putting into action to bring forward rail investment and HS2 for faster journeys and more passenger seats, as well as tackling airport capacity which is a pressing issue for many business travellers. We will continue follow these developments with interest."

Um. So this is upgrading London trains is it?

UK's mass transit system is complete sh1t; trains, busses, ferrys, etc... Expensive, too many delays, overcrowding, faults, dated... falling so far behind it's European counterparts.

Laughable.

Funny how privatising everything has made it more expensive, sh1t and requiring massive public subsidies.

Would be nice if some of that £1.5billion for roads was to be used for Dualling the A120 between Harwich and Horsley cross. Often get stuck sitting in traffic travelling around 30-40mph, for a major route having the first and last 10 miles as single carriageway is just plain stupid.

I've had to plan a few short notice(under two weeks' notice) journeys to London from the NW recently, convenient trains all over £100.

Buses under £30, but not a pleasant journey in the main.

Car- forget it.

Last year I had to visit Newcastle for short audits from Greater London. 3 hours and I am done. Did comparison and taking into account time to travel and need for overnight accomodation flying Easyjet form Stansted was cheapest. Convenient flight 0600 in morning and coming back 1700. Train was most expensive even without accomodation.

Hotel cost was £40 pounds...no brainer that I used the plane-taxi