House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ingermany

Share Give Away

Barking Mad

Also known as the Paul Daniels Plan. You can apply to get the "free" shares on the basis that government decides later how much you have to pay for them. Not that it matters that you've already bought them in 2008, or you did if you have been paying tax. And this gives everyone a nice £1650 windfall in 2015. Oh yes, and only registered voters are eligible. Do we not have an electoral commission or something similar? This has got to be the most corrupt idea since the "Bribe to Buy" housing scandal of 3 months ago.

Barking Mad

Also known as the Paul Daniels Plan. You can apply to get the "free" shares on the basis that government decides later how much you have to pay for them. Not that it matters that you've already bought them in 2008, or you did if you have been paying tax. And this gives everyone a nice £1650 windfall in 2015. Oh yes, and only registered voters are eligible. Do we not have an electoral commission or something similar? This has got to be the most corrupt idea since the "Bribe to Buy" housing scandal of 3 months ago.

Cool! Where do i sign up?!

Barking Mad

Well it would not be smart for the tory party to bribe non-voters would it? Much more efficient electoral bribery this way.

Tories selling you something you already own in order to give a windfall to their mates in the Citeh that fund them?

Whoever could think such a thing!

Tories selling you something you already own in order to give a windfall to their mates in the Citeh that fund them?

Whoever could think such a thing!

oooh the extra fun bit is that as an overseas registered voter I'd get to only pay HK tax on the profits. Thanks Gordon!

How equities and the City work is pretty much over the head of most people.

Selling something we've already paid for is a fantastic idea (but not for you). It's so clever, I am starting to believe in conspiracies..... :ph34r:

Barking Mad

It's worse than that, I have RBS shares. So they will be giving my RBS shares to people for free.

No one is going to fall for this buying of votes and this is exactly what is wrong with the UK government, short term vote buying rather than long term planning to benefit the country as a whole.

Sod this working thing, I'm gonna start selling the right to breathe. Can anyone prove I don't own it? For a convenient one off* payment I'll send you a certificate.

Seriously, there have been a lot of ideas around.. mutualising the banks, breaking them into manageable chunks with separate functions, demerging to create smaller entities, etc, etc.. but somehow it has to come to the worst possible solution, namely a very premature attempt to flog it to the public whole.

* Till I decide I need more money.

It's worse than that, I have RBS shares. So they will be giving my RBS shares to people for free.

No one is going to fall for this buying of votes and this is exactly what is wrong with the UK government, short term vote buying rather than long term planning to benefit the country as a whole.

Hilarious thing would be if the Tories managed to flog a load of these shares to people who would naturally vote for them, followed by a crash in the price of the shares, a stampede to the exit on the shares and numerous grannies suddenly finding that their life savings have been decimated. Whilst lots of people linked to the government make a fortune shorting them.

Well, hilarious is probably the wrong word, on reflection.

Hilarious thing would be if the Tories managed to flog a load of these shares BTL properties to people who would naturally vote for them, followed by a crash in the price of the shares BTL properties, a stampede to the exit on the shares BTL properties and numerous grannies suddenly finding that their life savings have been decimated. Whilst lots of people linked to the government make a fortune shorting selling them.

Corrected for accuracy.

Well, hilarious is probably the wrong word, on reflection.

Quite.

Taxpayer[1] pays for a lot of shares, because government of the day believes in bailouts.

Now someone suggests taxpayer sells shares to recoup some of that money, and what do HPCers say? Hmmm ...

[1] Or rather, future taxpayer, through government debt: the only ones paying immediately are those who had to buy annuities[2], and foreigners whose sterling assets were trashed.

[2] Including not least companies with pension liabilities.