House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Duke Of Edinburgh Award

Just surprised when my partner came home from work to say that her colleague's daughter had just completed her walking part of the award. This basically consisted of her colleague's daughter having to get about £200s worth of gear to tackle some flat public footpaths in Leicestershire over three days with an aggregate mileage of 18 (or 6 miles a day). And without irony the mother thought her daughter had done pretty well and that the daughter was shattered every evening. Telling this to my partner who walks to walk 7 miles round trip every day. I dare not say how many miles I walk, just to say it is considerable more every day of the year than the D of E award. When I was young it was the 17 year olds that were supposed to be fit and the 50 somethings excused themselves. Now nearing 50, and it is the 17 year olds that are given kinder garten tasks.

I just don't get it.

Guest eight

Just surprised when my partner came home from work to say that her colleague's daughter had just completed her walking part of the award. This basically consisted of her colleague's daughter having to get about £200s worth of gear to tackle some flat public footpaths in Leicestershire over three days with an aggregate mileage of 18 (or 6 miles a day). And without irony the mother thought her daughter had done pretty well and that the daughter was shattered every evening. Telling this to my partner who walks to walk 7 miles round trip every day. I dare not say how many miles I walk, just to say it is considerable more every day of the year than the D of E award. When I was young it was the 17 year olds that were supposed to be fit and the 50 somethings excused themselves. Now nearing 50, and it is the 17 year olds that are given kinder garten tasks.

I just don't get it.

Maybe you just have to match the physical prowess of the Duke?

Indeed it was a bit of a provocative OP.

Children are criticised enough without heaping it on them when they are actually doing something vaguely productive/useful.

Presumably your missus doesn't carry 10-15kg of expedition hear to work everyday. Everyone needs to start somewhere and the past you could be accused of living in is a very different place.

Children are criticised enough without heaping it on them when they are actually doing something vaguely productive/useful.

Presumably your missus doesn't carry 10-15kg of expedition hear to work everyday. Everyone needs to start somewhere and the past you could be accused of living in is a very different place.

Shes mucks about that much with buying and taking back clothes on work days and taking flask and food that indeed she does.

I just don't get it.

I'd guess (hope) you're talking about the Bronze award, rather than the Silver or Gold. As I recall, Bronze didn't exactly push the envelope even back in the early 80s (when I did it).

If we're talking Gold then, yes, that might suggest standards have dropped a tad.

I would concede that it is a bit of a generational thing. And the Op was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek.

I would add that kids today are incredibly quick and competent in IT. Very well prepared for the workplace and are more confident than we were. But the D of E award seems to be a bit of an introduction to something that previous generations just did as a matter of course.

Children are criticised enough

No they aren't. Not anywhere near enough. Most need to be put firmly in their place.

I would add that kids today are ... Very well prepared for the workplace

Is this a joke? Children now are less well prepared for the workplace than ever in my opinion.

No they aren't. Not anywhere near enough. Most need to be put firmly in their place.

I would agree for many things. Certainly when it comes to fitness and health.

Oh no we can't tell little Alison that she is fat as she might get an eating disorder.

Well sorry but if a ten year old is obese they already have a ******ing eating disorder !

How old is the daughter though? If she's a teenager then 6 miles a day is, as stated, not much. If she's a 7 or 8, then it's not so bad.

I remember this when I was about 15 and in the ATC.

You had to do a 15 mile route march with a 40lb pack, then camp at the end of it. It was knackering.

Then you had to do some sort of project. Ours was supposed to be on leaves and me being the academic of the group (amongst a bunch of your typical thugs) was supposed to write everything up.

But I couldn't be arsed and announced to the CO that I'd joined the ATC to fire guns and have rides in planes and stuff, if I wanted to write up crap projects on something I wasn't interested in then there was always school.

Anyway, shortly after that I got chucked (actually I think I might have left) for being a disruptive influence. I was in it for about three years and apart from bull, the DoE scheme and getting beaten up occasionally it was a fairly good laugh.

I just don't get it.

Perhaps that's the point of the D of E Award. The kid has £200 worth of kit that she might go on to use.

I did some of the D of E award in my youth, but I didn't complete the 'Walk-18-miles-with-your-hands-behind-your-back-making-inappropriate-racist-comments' section.

Certainly when it comes to fitness and health.

Oh no we can't tell little Alison that she is fat as she might get an eating disorder.

Well sorry but if a ten year old is obese they already have a ******ing eating disorder !

Yep. I'm a modern parent in many respects but not when it comes to fitness, nature is too much against us a species on this one. Let the nippers sit on their ar5es all day and they will.

If that is the case then could wiping your **** unassisted count toward the award? Or perhaps spending an hour with an ethnic minority without dropping a racial slur or comment?

Yep. I'm a modern parent in many respects but not when it comes to fitness, nature is too much against us a species on this one. Let the nippers sit on their ar5es all day and they will.

The D of E is a pilot. He used to fly various planes at the Queen's disposal.

I have heard that air traffic control just cleared all other aircraft on his path, he was so dangerous, his attitude to all other planes was 'get out of my bloody way'.

The hell ya will pilgrim...

XYY

I remember this when I was about 15 and in the ATC.

You had to do a 15 mile route march with a 40lb pack, then camp at the end of it. It was knackering.

Then you had to do some sort of project. Ours was supposed to be on leaves and me being the academic of the group (amongst a bunch of your typical thugs) was supposed to write everything up.

But I couldn't be arsed and announced to the CO that I'd joined the ATC to fire guns and have rides in planes and stuff, if I wanted to write up crap projects on something I wasn't interested in then there was always school.

Anyway, shortly after that I got chucked (actually I think I might have left) for being a disruptive influence. I was in it for about three years and apart from bull, the DoE scheme and getting beaten up occasionally it was a fairly good laugh.

I had a ball in the ATC. Don't remember anything academic at all - beyond learning aircraft recognition. Used to do three day exercises in Thetford Forest. Middle of winter, deep snow, lugging pack with poncho (to make a rudimentary tent sort of thing (in subzero temps!) all our grub and a 7.62 SLR with blanks. We also had crap (and heavy) radios that never worked for our check-ins. No adult presence at all. Can't remember the distances but they were day long slogs we did - followed by some sort of objective and then sentry duty all night.

Also, loads of flying; Chipmunks.

The good stuff far outweight the boring stuff.

I had a ball in the ATC. Don't remember anything academic at all - beyond learning aircraft recognition. Used to do three day exercises in Thetford Forest. Middle of winter, deep snow, lugging pack with poncho (to make a rudimentary tent sort of thing (in subzero temps!) all our grub and a 7.62 SLR with blanks. We also had crap (and heavy) radios that never worked for our check-ins. No adult presence at all. Can't remember the distances but they were day long slogs we did - followed by some sort of objective and then sentry duty all night.

I think we need another thread for ex-ATC types.

Fondly remember night exercises in the middle of forests & remember doing the DoE silver in the lakes & walking miles over the hills carrying a "lightweight" Vango Force Ten. Set fire to a fence once having lit an Optimus III stove after too vigorous priming :rolleyes:

ATC was fun and yes you do to do interesting stuff like flying and night ex. My favourite was assault course and shooting on a sunday. I flew a bit in chipmunks and gliders. One lucky guy I knew got to fly in a tornado.

Problem was my atc was situated in a fairly bleak midlands town. There was no ACF so all the thugs joined up as well. Most of the guys in it I knew wanted to join the regiment. If you had the genius potential of getting 5 o levels then it was immediately assumed you were going to try to become a pilot. I wasn't really interested in either.

It had it's moments. Generally I liked it. I think for young kids something like this is good for them. Certainly better than leaving them to roam the streets.

edit : My guess is the night exs and the flying is more memorable than the drill and bull and lessons about how planes work.

ATC was fun and yes you do to do interesting stuff like flying and night ex. My favourite was assault course and shooting on a sunday. I flew a bit in chipmunks and gliders. One lucky guy I knew got to fly in a tornado.

I got a go at driving a Nimrod. It was about a 6 hour flight, with submarine hunting (didn't find any), low level over the sea and then air to air refueling when we allowed in the cockpit. It ended with a few circuits with us stood up in the cockpit behind the pilot.

Is the DOE a bit of a private school thing?

I'd never heard of it till I got to university.

I, like many others, did DOE with the ATC. There were not many private school types in my (Hackney-based) squadron.

Is the DOE a bit of a private school thing?

I'd never heard of it till I got to university.

Just that independent schools publicise it to the children, encourage them to do it and facilitate it. Also, boarding schools need to fill weekends and evenings with worthy stuff to do - and DofE fits the bill. Good CV fodder with the added bonus that it keeps the inmates knackered and more manageable.