House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Generation Game

Job Advice

Ok, so I'm at a crossroads in my life and was wondering if the "Off topic crew" can point me in the right direction.

A bit about me:

- Have a first masters degree in Physics with Space Technology

- Spent 5-6 years as an accountant in practice (decided I wanted to do something more fulfilling)

- Did a further masters in Aerodynamics

- Currently writing up a PhD in Mechanical Engineering / Aero (plenty of experimental work, programming and CAD design)

I am constrained geographically to stay in London (or within reasonable commuting distance) until the end of 2014 at least and am currently 33.

So basically I am too old for most graduate schemes and too inexperienced for most jobs except in accountancy which I'd really like to avoid getting back into (also don't fancy opening my own chippy or talking about cannibalism :P ).

Any advice on where I should be looking? Recruiters/speculative/scattergun approach?

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

If you could choose freely, what kind of job would you like to do?

One that offered the opportunity for lots of travel (but it needs to pay the bills as well).

Perhaps I've spent too long on this website but I want to do something in a productive capacity (perhaps energy or technology), rather than end up as middleman/parasite.

I want to do something in a productive capacity (perhaps energy or technology), rather than end up as middleman/parasite.

So some kind of engineer role with an energy or technology company...

I don't think London is the right place for those kind of jobs, most jobs in London are the 'middleman/parasite' (especially the latter) kind of jobs. ;)

Guest eight

Motor Racing.

Sorry can't offer more that that.

Or games software; not many racing games accurately model the affects of aero changes to the car.

So some kind of engineer role with an energy or technology company...

I don't think London is the right place for those kind of jobs, most jobs in London are the 'middleman/parasite' (especially the latter) kind of jobs. ;)

That's the kind of response I feared.

Guest eight

+1 to Formula 1.

It's a good point, could be 21 races next year. Staff burnout might become an issue, some of the bigger teams might actually divide into two separate crews.

Space stuff. There's some places up in stevenage iirc... not a bad commute from london.

Yeah, Astrium. I went there once to see their vibrational test bench in operation. I've registered with their website and we'll see what happens (but I won't hold my breath). They are also based in Portsmouth as well (well they were last time I checked).

Guest eight

I'll join the back of the extensive queue for one of those jobs then! Must be about the most competitive jobs market out there.

On the plus side, it's one of the purest meritocracies there is. Not much dead weight carried - I'm sure if you have something to offer they'd want to know about it.

On the plus side, it's one of the purest meritocracies there is. Not much dead weight carried - I'm sure if you have something to offer they'd want to know about it.

Very true. I went to a talk given by Paddy Lowe a few weeks ago (whilst he was on gardening leave). Some of the innovation that they come up with is impressive. Have to keep moving forwards just to stand still. Just look at McLaren this season.

They are constantly changing the rules in F1 meaning the aero engineers have to constantly adapt, think on their feet. How about studying the rule changes for next year and see if you can see an idea to approach them with?

Or games software; not many racing games accurately model the affects of aero changes to the car.

My brother works in that field (although not aero programming). Life is full of coincidences as I just read about his last game in another off-topic thread!

Some do - the Codemasters F1 games model the effect of losing body parts on aerodynamic performance. We did a bit with the sound on GRID2 but proper physics modelling for aerodynamics, turbulence and slipstreaming has some way to go on the current hardware generation.

Motor racing engineering does sound like a good bet for the OP. Or vehicle design. I hear Jaguar Landrover have a big recruitment drive on (not in London though).

Some do - the Codemasters F1 games model the effect of losing body parts on aerodynamic performance. We did a bit with the sound on GRID2 but proper physics modelling for aerodynamics, turbulence and slipstreaming has some way to go on the current hardware generation.

Motor racing engineering does sound like a good bet for the OP. Or vehicle design. I hear Jaguar Landrover have a big recruitment drive on (not in London though).

Even so, cheers for the heads up. May have to investigate further.

Even so, cheers for the heads up. May have to investigate further.

They (JLR) are being touted as a potential buyer of Millbrook that GM are looking to sell.

I'd say join the British Army as a commissioned officer and if the regulars won't have you (they often overlook age limits for exceptional candidates of which you are one) then TA and see if you can wangle yourself into the AAC.

I'd say join the British Army

Why would anyone with any sense of ethics and morality still want to join the British corporate/bankster army? :rolleyes:

The army has become nothing but a tool used by the 'elite' to further their own dirty interests but financed by the taxpayers.

One that offered the opportunity for lots of travel (but it needs to pay the bills as well).

You sure you want to travel? Great to begin with but then it's a royal pain in the ass hanging around airports and collecting meal/taxi receipts and just wanting to go home.

You sure you want to travel? Great to begin with but then it's a royal pain in the ass hanging around airports and collecting meal/taxi receipts and just wanting to go home.

Won't know unless I try. I fancy improving my language skills and the only way to really do that is live in other countries (sure there doesn't have to be a travel component in the job, I can just emigrate - just not in the short term).