House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
non-FTBer

Housebuilders..... Muppets

Just to see what was going on with new homes in my area I went to see a few showhomes yesterday (not that I actually want to buy a new home).

Went into Barratts first.

Turns out the woman had previously been working for an estate agents (I assume she was laid off), and told me how dire the second hand homes market was, and had been since mid 2004.

She then told me how new home prices were holding up very well and they had sold almost all of the houses that they had to sell (yeah right.... how many phases to go).

When pressed for discounts they could offer she trawled out the usual package of stuff:

5% discount

Stamp duty and legal fees paid

Carpets/Curtains

Other bits and pieces.

When pressed further to tell me how much discount they can give or I walk she admitted that you can make an offer on any property and that all reaosnable offers were considered, and that you can probably negotiate some of the package from above in addition to securing a discount of the asking price.

Then I went into a Westbury sales office:

The two retards (is that PC?) working in there told me how well their homes had been selling, and that people loved the 'move in for 99p' offers.

Looking at a particular style of house they told me that they were selling for the full price.

I then told them what Barratts would do for me, and asked what is the best that they could do.

They told me that they could climb down £15K straight away, but if I offerred less than it would have to be referred to head office. But they then proceeded to tell me that they had sold two for full asking price the week before.

I replied "I'm not interested in what they paid, as they are clearly idiots. I've already had you offer to take £15K off after 5 minutes, I'm sure they could have done the same".

At that point they got angry and shouty and started regurgitating crap about how healthy the market is and how now is a good time to buy before prices rise in the new year.

I just chuckled to myself and left.

At least the lady in Barratts was polite, helpful and willing to admit the market is stuffed and they will play ball. Westbury's staff were fairly rude and not very forthcoming about the state of the market and their sales (I suspect they were lying about selling two properties last week).....

Won't bother me as I won't be buying a new house anyway. But I think the discounts that the housebuilders offer is a good barometer of what kind of prices I should expect to pay second hand.

The new house market is after all pretty much direct competition for resale houses in the area. I wouldn't expect to pay much different for a 4 bed new build compared to a 4 bed older property, unless there is a premium ofr location/views etc.

I replied "I'm not interested in what they paid, as they are clearly idiots. I've already had you offer to take £15K off after 5 minutes, I'm sure they could have done the same".

Brilliant! LMAO!

The very fact that new houses are there still to be sold is an indicator in itself. In early 2003 in my area they were all sold off-plan before the earth had been churned. In late 2003 early 2004 they were sold as they were being completed.

Crash coming IMPO.