House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Are The British Mad ?

France: 141K

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-38914370.html

Cornwall: 142K ( reduced, from £145K, possibly due to the fact they don't have twigs anywhere in the house ).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37382509.html

Location wise they are both away from the coast and a long way from major cities. You can drive to both, probably easier to get toi the french one from certain parts of the UK.

The British one does have a very nice clothes dryer thing in the "low maintenance garden" and there IS a seat out the front of the house whereas the French property can only really muster " superb far reaching views" and a 1.25 acre garden.

I ask you...are the British mad ?

I see no reason for this obvious descrepancy in price, the french property should be worth 10 times more than the British one ( in my book ) which means the french one should be worth £1.42M.....or the British one should be worth £14.1K :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comparisons like this just go to show how out of touch with any sense of reality the UK market/buyer/seller/agents/banks really are.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

The French also have substantially lower population density's

Population_density_Europe.png

I'm comparing Cornwall versus Normandy/Brittany....does anyone have a comparison of Paris and London ? Or better still Watford and somewhere on the outskirts of paris ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

holy smoly count.amazing.I'm tempted.will chat to the Mrs ZB ce soir.

PS did anyone see what I did there?

Bonnet de douche.

If your serious there are loads of houses like that up for sale in Northern France, I'm tempted myself.

There is NO value in a UK house.

I 'spect it may be because in France, as a general rule, what you spend on your housing can't be more than one third of your disposable income (after deducting other loans), whether it's a mortgage or rent.

So people can't get enormous mortgages on modest incomes and overpay for houses. How stupid are the Frogs, eh?

I put in an offer on a house last week -- in France. The difference in value between the UK and France is ridiculous. For what I'm paying for a small chateau surrounded by vineyards and close to an international airport, I could buy a 2 bed flat near where I live now an hour outside London. Outside of major cities in France, there seem to be plenty of desperate sellers. You could probably get the house in Normandy for at least 20% less than asking.

Couldn't afford the fuel for the commute..... and the taxi fare from the boozer on a Saturday night would cripple me ;)

Having ruined our own housing stock, I'm amazed the BTL brigade haven't cottoned on to these. There must be a fortune to be made as holiday lets? (I suspect my ignorance of running a business in France is showing!)

Couldn't afford the fuel for the commute..... and the taxi fare from the boozer on a Saturday night would cripple me ;)

Having ruined our own housing stock, I'm amazed the BTL brigade haven't cottoned on to these. There must be a fortune to be made as holiday lets? (I suspect my ignorance of running a business in France is showing!)

I think the middle class english have already been down that road....i've heard of several desperate to sell up.

And believe it or not, the price of that French house in Poland if near or in a city would be about half a million quid if not more. And Poles' wages are 1/3 of Brits', and (in Polska) food costs about the same on the whole, energy a bit less. Income taxes in Poland are paid after you earn GBP600, too!

Edited by inflating

I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to keep the French house from becoming a ruin in a jungle..... I hate work so I'll pass on that one even though it is only fifty miles from where I am now.

We have friends with a similar house and they don't have a minute to relax.... and they like gardening.

The English alternative, by comparison, is horrible.

I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to keep the French house from becoming a ruin in a jungle..... I hate work so I'll pass on that one even though it is only fifty miles from where I am now.

We have friends with a similar house and they don't have a minute to relax.... and they like gardening.

The English alternative, by comparison, is horrible.

You get about a bit, so you do.

Can we have a " Where is Bruce this week ?" thread ?

You get about a bit, so you do.

Can we have a " Where is Bruce this week ?" thread ?

South of France in the spring, Northern France for the summer and Southern Spain in autumn, winter in UK. That's the beauty of early retirement :D.

If we had a house like that, though, we'd be slaves to it.

I 'spect it may be because in France, as a general rule, what you spend on your housing can't be more than one third of your disposable income (after deducting other loans), whether it's a mortgage or rent.

So people can't get enormous mortgages on modest incomes and overpay for houses. How stupid are the Frogs, eh?

And they got rid of their royalty.

Mugs.

Nothing like cheering on a bunch of inbred retards at a circus to keep the plebs down.

Don't know how long it will last.

South of France in the spring, Northern France for the summer and Southern Spain in autumn, winter in UK. That's the beauty of early retirement :D.

that does beg the question why bother with a house in the UK in 7 years time when you think the market will bottom.

You'd be better off living elsewhere and getting out completely.

I think the middle class english have already been down that road....i've heard of several desperate to sell up.

That is why the price is low.....more sellers than buyers, available local jobs also have a lot to do with it.

In the case of say Cornwall and similar surrounding areas, areas of outstanding beauty.....that money has rippled from the sale of London and the home counties property and good existing pension schemes.....such a small country means nowhere is that far away from anywhere as the crow flies....see what happens when the imported foreign money (and the QE money) and the pension money dries up. ;)

That is why the price is low.....more sellers than buyers, available local jobs also have a lot to do with it.

In the case of say Cornwall and similar surrounding areas, areas of outstanding beauty.....that money has rippled from the sale of London and the home counties property and good existing pension schemes.....such a small country means nowhere is that far away from anywhere as the crow flies....see what happens when the imported foreign money (and the QE money) and the pension money dries up. ;)

Both houses are about 5 hours from central London, and Calvados certainly gives any English county a run for the money as far as being outstandingly beautiful. If it's just a question of money rippling out from London, the discrepancy seems hard to explain. Certainly, as London is no longer majority British and the population isn't tied to this country, it seems hard to believe that such a discrepancy will persist in the future.

France has very high property centric taxes, combined with a very low population density, and an unappealing attitude towards foreigners.

If you plan to buy a house in France, you need to speak fluent French.

And on top of all that, a load of brits bought into French cottages at the top of the boom using Euro mortgages, and are now getting hammered by the exchange rates.

Oh, and all the brits that bough holiday cottages to rent out quickly found that no-one wants to go on holiday to France any more. They remember going on holiday to France when they were younger and assume that people still do, when in fact cheap air travel has wiped most of that market out. You can fly to Tenerife for under £100 each way, even without resorting to sleazyjet.

That's my thought too. I know a lot of people in Canada who have holiday cottages and they ever seem to do at weekends is spend time driving to the middle of nowhere to fix things. I've rented one a couple of times - which is enough for me for one season - and the total cost was about 10% of what owning one would be and 0% of the hassle.

Both houses are about 5 hours from central London, and Calvados certainly gives any English county a run for the money as far as being outstandingly beautiful. If it's just a question of money rippling out from London, the discrepancy seems hard to explain. Certainly, as London is no longer majority British and the population isn't tied to this country, it seems hard to believe that such a discrepancy will persist in the future.

....I think also if you look taxation on French property is far higher than what we pay here....... ;)

and an unappealing attitude towards foreigners.

I was listening to radio 4 this morning about a chap who had toured France and indeed he had been ignored when he proffered a bonjour to the owners of a historic cottage. There again if you said hello to someone in Brighton or London, they would probably disappear quickly into their houses for fear of getting mugged, a bit disconcerting if you are a northerner and strangers do talk to one another. In Manchester you might be in danger of being coerced into the house for a cuppa by a complete stranger. Suppose it comes down to culture.

Edited by crashmonitor