House Price Crash Forum

Worst Sales For Eight Years At Sainsbury's

HOLA441

Sainsbury’s is expected to report the worst sales performance for eight years this week, but is still managing to keep ahead of its rivals in what is proving a turbulent period for supermarkets.

The retailer has outperformed rivals such as Tesco, but brokers, including Morgan Stanley, expect it to say like-for-like sales increased in the first quarter of its financial year by just 0.8 per cent.

That would be the worst performance since 2005, soon after chief executive Justin King was drafted in to revive the business.

The sector has been hit by the horsemeat scandal, unseasonably cold weather, weak consumer spending and high food inflation.

Sainsbury’s also struggled to show an improvement on last year, which was strong, thanks in part to its success in capitalising on the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

However, the group is expected to remind investors that it has increased like-for-like sales for the past 34 quarters, while Tesco and Morrisons have seen their sales decline

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2337890/Worst-sales-years-Sainsburys.html#ixzz2VtibhAdh

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So, as you'd expect from the Heil, the headline is a complete falsity. According to the story, sales are 0.8% higher than this time last year, and 2005 was the last time they increased by so little. In otherwords, lots more money is being spent there than ever before.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

They are all in Lidl and Aldi thats why.

Love it when people pull out a Sainsburys or better still an M&S bag at the Aldi checkout.

I use those blue IKEA ones ....great for shopping. Straight from the trolley to boot ,to kitchen in one go.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Slightly off topic, but Sainsbury's is by far the best supermarket.

I've never quite worked out why Tesco and now some others have taken the market.

Agree.

Tesco have been printing out annoying little bits of paper for the last month or so showing whether you'd have paid more, less, or the same at other supermarkets and if it's more giving you a voucher for diff.

!'ve had 1 voucher for a couple of quid i.e. Tesco was far more expensive. 2 vouchers saying I saved about 10-20p and 1 voucher was precisely the same (weird).

I thought it was very odd for Tesco to be advertising the fact that most other supermarkets are actually cheaper or the broadly the same price as they are.

Given that they're hopeless at retailing they're essentially telling you to shop elsewhere.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I pull out a LIDL one in the Morrisons, and a Morrisons one in the LIDL, got to keep the retailers on their toes!

If I actually go to a supermarket (instead of getting it delivered... you have to sometimes because not everything is available for delivery) then I always use a bag from a different supermarket.

This prevents they trying to charge you for the bag a second time.

It's great having an argument with the lady on the checkout at Asda saying you've already paid for the bag, them asking for proof, calling their manager, and then me pointing out the huge f**k-off Tesco logo on the bag.

HOLA4413

I thought it was very odd for Tesco to be advertising the fact that most other supermarkets are actually cheaper or the broadly the same price as they are.

Given that they're hopeless at retailing they're essentially telling you to shop elsewhere.

Sainsbury's were the first to do this - forced Tesco's hand a little I suspect

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I've never quite worked out why Tesco and now some others have taken the market.

I've now lived just over a month at my new place, with Sainsburys very convenient.

It has some good things, but overall disappointing. The checkout queues are excessive, and they seem to keep it that way by taking staff away from the checkouts if any get so short as to risk showing belt space behind the shoppers' groceries. And the self-service checkouts are a nightmare of unexpected item in bagging area.

And who the **** keeps cooking oil refrigerated? Not just regular winter temps that turn olive oil cloudy, but so cold it doesn't even revive when we get a hot spell?

As for why Tesco took the market, they were the clear best for a long time, maybe as much as 20 years, before losing their way. Nowadays, alas, I don't think there's any supermarket I could say that of.

HOLA4422

Errr no it isn't...Morrisons is.

Unusable trolleys.

Muzak.

Nasty sharp practice: lots of offers involving multibuy, but with excluded items mixed in with on-offer stuff on the shelves, so you end up with three included and one excluded items when you needed four to get the offer. And variants on that theme.

HOLA4423

I'd agree, but there is a property vested interest reason why Tesco's continue to dominate the market (in certain areas)

In my part of London there are several Tescos dotted around - but Sainsburys can't get the planning permission to compete with their own supermarket. Over in Oxford it took a long time before Lidl were allowed to open up - I remember talking to a council officer who kept telling me "we don't grant permission because we don't see the demand for another supermarket here".

Basically the game is rigged, which is why when one supermarket goes under (eg Safeway) there's always another chain ready to buy up all the empty stores.

HOLA4424

Sainsbury's has only one role, to keep the rif raf out of Waitroes

au fugging contraire Blackadder..............

after my several cups of free coffee with my mywaitrose card, I delight in following the mark down sticker girl around the store and haggling down the sticker prices, a great fun night out for us oiks.. ie, if you press your nose up against the window of the posh restaurant sometimes the`ll pay you to go away

HOLA4425

au fugging contraire Blackadder..............

after my several cups of free coffee with my mywaitrose card, I delight in following the mark down sticker girl around the store and haggling down the sticker prices, a great fun night out for us oiks.. ie, if you press your nose up against the window of the posh restaurant sometimes the`ll pay you to go away

Actually, it was an unattributed quote of a brilliant joke from the late great comedian Alan Coren, who said words along the lines of "the only good thing about Sainsburys is it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose". [1] [2]