House Price Crash Forum
Will!

Japanese Knotweed Threatening The Multi-Million Pound Houses Of Celebrities In Hampstead

Looks like Mother Nature might be an HPCer.

Tom Conti, the Hollywood actor, has said it has become “The Day Of The Triffids” in Hampstead, with an outbreak of an invasive weed threatening the multi-million pound houses of celebrities.

“You would have thought something would have been done about this by now,” the Shirley Valentine actor added.

I guess there is some small justice. It was probably the rich that brought it over here.

That said I would (and did) run a mile from a house with an infestation in the garden. It's like the Terminator of the plant world - extremely difficult to kill and will not stop.

I guess there is some small justice. It was probably the rich that brought it over here.

That said I would (and did) run a mile from a house with an infestation in the garden. It's like the Terminator of the plant world - extremely difficult to kill and will not stop.

Glyphosate 50% + (not the watered down 10% stuff from B&Q )or the more expensive option Tordon 20

Mind you it will take 3-4 years if it`s well established

Glyphosate 50% + (not the watered down 10% stuff from B&Q )or the more expensive option Tordon 20

Mind you it will take 3-4 years if it`s well established

In my experience digging it out while it is still alive is a decidedly bad idea as one seventh of a gram of root can result in re-growth.

Having spent wasted time trying to spray the stuff we came up with a more radical approach.In Spring, wait until it have reached at least 75cm high, it needs to be making strong growth.Cut the top off so that you can see down the stem, which is a bit Bamboo like in that it grows in section. Straighten a metal coathanger, and poke this down through the sections as far as you can. Make up a solution of Glyphosate, from the concentrate, then using a hypodermic syringe or similar (you don't need a needle) inject the solution carefully into the stem and keep doing this until the stem is almost full. Then proceed to the next plant. Repeat this in Autumn, when the sap is retreating into the roots and again the following Spring, by which time the plant will really be struggling. Once you are certain it is dead and you may need to wait a further season, then it is safe to dig up and dispose of legally.

We have used this successfully on Knotweed which was over 1.8m high and it didn't endanger any of the surrounding trees or shrubs.

Much better pictures in the Mail if you snobs can bring yourself to look.

article-2337210-1A2E0D8F000005DC-396_634x434.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2337210/Celebrities-besieged-Triffids-superweed-Homes-Thierry-Henry-Tom-Conti-Melanie-Sykes-threat-invader.html

And this one was demolished:

article-2052337-0E74A88E00000578-930_634x682.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/23/article-2052337-0E74A88E00000578-930_634x682.jpg

What I don't get is why you can't just chop down all growth and burn it, without leaves gathering energy the plant dies surely.

Japanese knotweed is so aggressive that some banks refuse to lend mortgages on properties which have got it nearby.

rolleyes.gif

Being a homeowner is a b**ch isn't it.tongue.gif

Edited by sleeping dog

Much better pictures in the Mail if you snobs can bring yourself to look.

article-2337210-1A2E0D8F000005DC-396_634x434.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2337210/Celebrities-besieged-Triffids-superweed-Homes-Thierry-Henry-Tom-Conti-Melanie-Sykes-threat-invader.html

And this one was demolished:

article-2052337-0E74A88E00000578-930_634x682.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/23/article-2052337-0E74A88E00000578-930_634x682.jpg

What I don't get is why you can't just chop down all growth and burn it, without leaves gathering energy the plant dies surely.

I`m sure I read some where that it can sustain such abuse for 10 years or more buy going into a sort of hibernation

I tried it for years in my grandmothers garden before I found the glyphosate/tordon 20 method as described above

Can't we breed this with something edible? Surly a fast growing, indestructible edible plant could be very useful :)

Actually it is edible, you can steam it like bamboo shoots.

However, that said you really do not want this stuff anywhere near any property you might own and someone might have just treated it with glyphosphate.

I believe it was found on the Olympic site. Perhaps that was the toxic waste they sent by train to Peterborough :P

Its not surprising, walking round hampstead each house appears to have some sort of plant growing through it.

Yes that's very true. Have you seen this one? When it was advertised previously they showed the view through one of the glass walls which looked out onto a graveyard.

Yes that's very true. Have you seen this one? When it was advertised previously they showed the view through one of the glass walls which looked out onto a graveyard.

Seen it and liked the fact it was next to a graveyard, at least the neighbours will be quite. Didn't like the house though. There was one room overlooking the graveyard with two huge speakers and a seat between them, all a bit too OCD for my liking. Could cause serious mental health issues if listening to black sabbath really loudly at night.

Seen it and liked the fact it was next to a graveyard, at least the neighbours will be quite. Didn't like the house though. There was one room overlooking the graveyard with two huge speakers and a seat between them, all a bit too OCD for my liking. Could cause serious mental health issues if listening to black sabbath really loudly at night.

Yes, it occurred to me that they only buyer would be a millionaire goth rocker, however the amount of natural sunlight might undermine the appeal.

I`m sure I read some where that it can sustain such abuse for 10 years or more buy going into a sort of hibernation

I tried it for years in my grandmothers garden before I found the glyphosate/tordon 20 method as described above

Ah, ten years is a rather long time indeed.

Actually it is edible, you can steam it like bamboo shoots.

However, that said you really do not want this stuff anywhere near any property you might own and someone might have just treated it with glyphosphate.

I believe it was found on the Olympic site. Perhaps that was the toxic waste they sent by train to Peterborough :P

yes eat it. supposedly its high in vitamin A and C and is actually really good for you.

however, you can also make knotweed wine and ale.

the moment the masses realise you can make alcohol out of it, its days are numbered.

Tom Conti could just get off of his backside, go out into the garden and pull the weeds up, like any other householder does, and if he's too "precious" to do that then it's not my problem..

the moment the masses realise you can make alcohol out of it, its days are numbered.

And BTLers thought their worst nightmare was their flat being turned into a cannabis factory. Wait until they start farming knotweed!

if people started making booze out of japanese knotweed and it was seen as the bringer of alcohol, people will start watering it and patting it on the head.

Edited by mfp123

I believe it was found on the Olympic site.

Masses of it were dug up and put in a pile for disposal. A few weeks later, someone else came to get rid of it but much of it had blown away. Ooops.

(story told to me by one of the digger drivers that worked on it)