House Price Crash Forum

So - any of you with building experience - how much would the cost range be to repoint external brickwork on a 1 storey (i.e. ground +1 flight) house that was a rectangle 20m on one side and 7 meters the short side?

I've got a mate that's been quoted 5,000 GBP and that seems steep....

So - any of you with building experience - how much would the cost range be to repoint external brickwork on a 1 storey (i.e. ground +1 flight) house that was a rectangle 20m on one side and 7 meters the short side?

I was searching for similar data recently, but sorry to say it's not as simple as that... where is the house, what mortar mix is required, what is the access like, how bad is the extg pointing (or how difficult to rake out). If you search online, a figure of £25m2 seems to pop up on average. (in which case £5000 seems like a good price)

I was searching for similar data recently, but sorry to say it's not as simple as that... where is the house, what mortar mix is required, what is the access like, how bad is the extg pointing (or how difficult to rake out). If you search online, a figure of £25m2 seems to pop up on average. (in which case £5000 seems like a good price)

ah - see what you mean. dont know about state, but access all round is easy - no other buildings within 20 feet and road right next to it. He's just an old geezer and I know how sometimes they can be seen as a soft touch

For 5K i'd do a night school course and do it myself.

It's not rocket science but worth getting some good training so you can make it neat.

If it was off the ground I'd use a ladder for a small area or scaffolding for a whole house.

£5K seems a lot for a job a trained monkey could do.

Was speaking to a builder last year who did my windows and he basically said for repointing you can quote what you like, asked if I wanted to help him do a job as I was repointing my garage. I think he'd quoted £4500 - £5000 for a house, he thought he had underquoted for the job.

To be honest why don't you do it yourself?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-brick-mortar-gun/67965

Brick Mortar Gun £16.99

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=brick+jointer&fh_view_size=20

Brick jointer

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-sds-plus-tct-mortar-raking-chisel/18218

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mortar-rake-8-x-40mm/31307

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/Diamond+Blades/d80/sd1450

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-paddle-mixer-5-x-600mm/61021

You can get everything you need easily for under £200.

Neighbours have just had it done on their 2 storey, 3 bedroom semi detached with the bloke there every day for about 10 days I think for £850 all in. We had a quote for the side of our place, only upstairs above the flat roof of garage for £180 I think so anything over £1000 sounds like robbery for such a small place :o

Edited by GeordieAndy

People who do pointing full time are all mad. The tedium does it to them.

If you do a bit everyday or so it could be theraputic.

I for one would do it myself.

The only one I'd watch if you need lime mortar, it's harder to match the colour.

I recall, older red brick houses are probably lime mortar and you shouldn't mix modern mortars with them.

I the chap with the house is an old geezer, why don't you do the course and help him out.

The UK has lost sense of community/value for money, it's maybe time to get back to basics ( there's an idea of a catchphrase for a political party :lol: )

Repointed my house last year.

COSTS

- £200 - scaffold tower hire 3 weeks

4 bags sand £5.00 (anyone want to buy 2 bags?)

1 bag cement £6.00 (anyone want to buy 1/3 bag?)

DIY is seriously cheaper!!!!

the DOWNSIDES

It is hard, tedious, boring, dusty, painful work!

But it can be done

Edit - bit of cut n pasting

Edited by Bemusedmover

In my youth I did a bit of hod carrying. Brickies hated the idea of pointing. Slow, boring, tedious. Hence it was usually fairly difficult to get someone to do it. If you have the time. learn to do it yourself, cost of material trivial.

In my youth I did a bit of hod carrying. Brickies hated the idea of pointing. Slow, boring, tedious. Hence it was usually fairly difficult to get someone to do it. If you have the time. learn to do it yourself, cost of material trivial.

It's a seafront property so takes a hell of a battering- I am guessing they'll be using some special cement. I think I'll just tell him to get a guarentee for 5 years or summat - he is too old to do it himself.

It's a seafront property so takes a hell of a battering- I am guessing they'll be using some special cement. I think I'll just tell him to get a guarentee for 5 years or summat - he is too old to do it himself.

Nope!

3 sand to one cement plus a bit of plasticiser in the water

If its very old it may be lime mortar which is dearer but not £5 grand dearer

As others have stated it is one of the most boring jobs you could ever think of doing. This is because you have to be very careful not to get mortar on the bricks, or else it will stain.

Nope!

3 sand to one cement plus a bit of plasticiser in the water

If its very old it may be lime mortar which is dearer but not £5 grand dearer

As others have stated it is one of the most boring jobs you could ever think of doing. This is because you have to be very careful not to get mortar on the bricks, or else it will stain.

An expert will be able to match the colour and type of the existing mortar, unless it doesn't matter in terms of type of house and matching surrounding houses.

Repointing with too hard a mortar risks spalling.

Depends on what you have now, such as a softer lime type or sandy type of mortar. If it can be raked out easily with a handtool, do you want to repoint it with a mortar that next time requires getting some power grinder. I would get more quotes, and check with other home-owners the person has done work for. Also heard of suggestions of asking someone quoting for the job to do a test area before giving them the work.

An expert will be able to match the colour and type of the existing mortar, unless it doesn't matter in terms of type of house and matching surrounding houses.

Repointing with too hard a mortar risks spalling.

Depends on what you have now, such as a softer lime type or sandy type of mortar. If it can be raked out easily with a handtool, do you want to repoint it with a mortar that next time requires getting some power grinder. I would get more quotes, and check with other home-owners the person has done work for. Also heard of suggestions of asking someone quoting for the job to do a test area before giving them the work.

That house has modern crappy bricks....surely its so new it would be disgraceful that it needs re-pointing :blink:

Mine is 100 years old with good old fashioned dense bricks and 3 to 1 was recommended (everywhere and by everyone)

That house has modern crappy bricks....surely its so new it would be disgraceful that it needs re-pointing :blink:

Mine is 100 years old with good old fashioned dense bricks and 3 to 1 was recommended (everywhere and by everyone)

Not suggesting that is wrong, just that research has to be done for every individual's home. From everything I've read my preference would be a lime-cement mortar on older homes, and choosing someone who really knows what they are doing, or perfecting skills and techniques yourself. You don't want smears on bricks or ragged repointing either, as you said.

Can see certain houses being ruined in appearance by the wrong type mortar/pointing, or colour, and lots of 'trained monkeys' out there offering repointing services who don't have a clue.

My father tried repointing on a home we had back in the early 80s, and he messed it up by using too hard a mortar, with many bricks spalling in the following years. I was told the bricks need a mortar which allows them the ability to adjust with changing weather conditions, hot and cold. When the mortar is too hard, the brick faces can spall and crumble.

Edited by Venger

Not suggesting that is wrong, just that research has to be done for every individual's home. From everything I've read my preference would be a lime-cement mortar on older homes, and choosing someone who really knows what they are doing, or perfecting skills and techniques yourself. You don't want smears on bricks or ragged repointing either, as you said.

Can see certain houses being ruined in appearance by the wrong type mortar/pointing, or colour, and lots of 'trained monkeys' out there offering repointing services who don't have a clue.

My father tried repointing on a home we had back in the early 80s, and he messed it up by using too hard a mortar, with many bricks spalling in the following years. I was told the bricks need a mortar which allows them the ability to adjust with changing weather conditions, hot and cold. When the mortar is too hard, the brick faces can spall and crumble.

To be honest Venger - it is extremely unlikely a "builder" would use anything other than 3 or 4 in 1

....You would have to specifically insist on lime or indeed anything else (mastic is an art that has died out too)

What is "correct" and what you will get are sadly completely different

Any house less than 80 years old is 99% certainly built of sand and cement.....

.....I wasn`t having a go and I completely agree with your comments - more damage is done to property by do not care tradesmen than anything else

Years ago about 1982 I think, I had a whole house to repoint. It was around 200 years old so a lime morter was in order. We started at the back of the house where we learned how to do it with advice from neighbours. By the time we got round the front we were expert but a little crazy with the boredom of it all.

Don't allow portland cement if it should be lime morter. It will look horrible and wrecks the bricks. Also cut out and replace bricks that have broken down with frost. Once it was nice and dry we sprayed the wall with something, possibly aluminium silicate. It soaks into the bricks and makes them so that they let vapour out but rain just bounces off. I chucked a bucket of water at the wall to see if it worked and indeed it just bounced off. Very useful in darkest Yorkshire where the rain goes sideways.

We obtained matching bricks by knocking down someone's nearby outside karzi for free - ask first though!

We obtained matching bricks by knocking down someone's nearby outside karzi for free - ask first though!

And make sure no one is using it at the time? :lol:

Love the idea of you just demolishing someone's toilet without asking.