House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollover

3.2 Million People Currently Claim Disability Living Allowance

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) are replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as part of the government's welfare reforms. The government claims PIPs will target resources more effectively towards those who need it most. But a charity warns that almost a fifth of claimants - 600,000 people - could eventually lose their benefits. From October, PIPs will be extended further, when the government will start to re-assess existing claimants, but only those whose circumstances have changed. The vast majority of the 3.2 million people who currently claim DLA will not be re-assessed until 2015 or later.

Figures from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) suggest that 450,000 will no longer be able to claim the benefit by 2018. But the disability charity Scope said that - including those who would have been new claimants between now to 2018 - some 607,000 people will miss out in total. Link

3.2 million, big number. What is the number of people who cheat the system?

You are Iain Duncan Smith and I claim my £5 (or the right to extended work experience at a slave company of your choosing)

Sure there will be some on Disability Living Allowance who don't play fair. But where are the court cases against fraudelent bankers, libour riggers, tax dodging company's and rotten expensing MPs?

Its easy to pick on the weakest and poorest in society.

Dunno.

But someone has video'd our mr sickie on the allotment doing lots of lovely digging.

A bloke I know claims it...he has a merc, lives in a nice house, doesn't work...laughs up his sleeve at everyone else.

He's running scared though, it looks like the cuts are coming and he will have to get a job...but hasn't work for so long no one wants to give him a professional job.

Who's laughing now.

He is squealing like a piggy whose trough has been taken away.

A difficult one because you don't want to make needy people have to fight for their money.

But I know loads of people on 'the sick' who still work manual jobs.

It comes down to how good you are at presenting your case. The problem with this benefit is that it is a lifetime award (though there is some back-tracking for those under retirement age) when most disabilities are now seen as self-limiting or can improve over time. Weight loss and exercise could get many off the benefit.

When you draw an arbitary line there will be equally disabled people who aren't good at playing on symptoms that are out of it rather than in it, so it isn't very fair. Also in poor areas it is a cultural money spinner...Mythr Tydfil.

A bloke I know claims it...he has a merc, lives in a nice house, doesn't work...laughs up his sleeve at everyone else.

He's running scared though, it looks like the cuts are coming and he will have to get a job...but hasn't work for so long no one wants to give him a professional job.

Who's laughing now.

Must be a relief for those that have got to retirement age because I gather their DLA is not subject to review.

Who's laughing now.

Actually DLA is not a benefit for the out of work.... you can still get this and work!

I would imagine quite a lot of folk work who claim it, It was designed as "extra help" to enable a claimant to live their life on an equal footing with every one else

....having said that I agree a lot of folk give the impression that they do not really qualify. But looks can be deceptive, for example....

A young and attractive girl pulled into a disabled bay in a sports car....

Old man started having a go about blue badge abuse (she was displaying one) "your not disabled, he moaned)

Quick as a flash she opened her blouse to reveal (as well as her bursting bra) a serious set of stiches....

I have just had a lung out she smiled and walked off into shops

Old man nearly had a heart attack.....

Actually DLA is not a benefit for the out of work.... you can still get this and work!

I would imagine quite a lot of folk work who claim it, It was designed as "extra help" to enable a claimant to live their life on an equal footing with every one else

....having said that I agree a lot of folk give the impression that they do not really qualify. But looks can be deceptive, for example....

A young and attractive girl pulled into a disabled bay in a sports car....

Old man started having a go about blue badge abuse (she was displaying one) "your not disabled, he moaned)

Quick as a flash she opened her blouse to reveal (as well as her bursting bra) a serious set of stiches....

I have just had a lung out she smiled and walked off into shops

Old man nearly had a heart attack.....

Ah the blue badge Nazis............was waiting for my 95 year old aunt to appear on her zimmer recovering from a broken hip a few years back accompanied by two helpers. A blue badge holder gave me a mouth full for not having a badge, meanwhile the c**t looked fit for the London marathon.

It is impossible to have an equal playing field, Stephen Hawking is arguably less disabled in the field of his ability to earn money than a thick person that is abled bodied. Physical disabilty is favoured, but someone with a low IQ from a poor household is far more disadvantaged in the world of work and ability to earn money.

To be honest there is more to sickness than a visible disability that affects mobility......I would say most that are sick have a mental issue or lack of self esteem/confidence, they require support and if there was a paid job that someone was prepared to give them and pay them for it they would work.....there are a few chancers though like you get everywhere in life, most of them do work. ;)

You are Iain Duncan Smith and I claim my £5 (or the right to extended work experience at a slave company of your choosing)

Sure there will be some on Disability Living Allowance who don't play fair. But where are the court cases against fraudelent bankers, libour riggers, tax dodging company's and rotten expensing MPs?

Its easy to pick on the weakest and poorest in society.

Sure there are many who are in need. But 3.2 million on DLA compared to 2.5 million unemployed It's really large number.

To be honest there is more to sickness than a visible disability that affects mobility......I would say most that are sick have a mental issue or lack of self esteem/confidence, they require support and if there was a paid job that someone was prepared to give them and pay them for it they would work.....there are a few chancers though like you get everywhere in life, most of them do work. ;)

As per my point. One disability is deemed more deserving than another making a nonsense of the whole DLA scheme as a leveller. Indeed some mental disability does attract the benefit, but it is more difficult to prove.

DLA makes some in society weaker than they already are..its a mind set..some weak minds follow the easy route in life..and choose subconciously to opt out, which in turn really does make their bodies weaker and so much becomes self fulfilling..

ok I`m making a purely wild guess that 70% of claimants are tough, fight,and struggle to get through their days, but there is a minority who really do lean on the benefits system..

DLA makes some in society weaker than they already are..its a mind set..some weak minds follow the easy route in life..and choose subconciously to opt out, which in turn really does make their bodies weaker and so much becomes self fulfilling..

ok I`m making a purely wild guess that 70% of claimants are tough, fight,and struggle to get through their days, but there is a minority who really do lean on the benefits system..

...I am sure you are right in many cases.......you could say some lean on the organisation they work for and the security/benefits it gives them..........how many of them would or could go self-employed if push came to shove? ;)

I've known people claiming it for anxiety and depression. On the surface they seem able but, believe me, they couldn't do the simplest job without significant improvement.

The trouble is, with DLA, income support, HB paid, etc. it's not a bad package so they can live a better lifestyle than, say, an underemployed graduate living in a mouldy HMO. So even if their condition improves enough that a little bit of work might actually help them to feel better, they risk becoming much worse off.

it was about 1 million 20 years ago - we should call the UN and WHO as there must be some huge epidemic going on. Imagine if this continues:

1992 - 1 million

2013 - 3.2 millions

2033 - 10.24 millions

2053 - 32.7 millions

DLA%20claimants.jpg

3.3 million. There's a plenty doing well administering the rest of the cheats.

there is no way almost 1 in 10 people of working age is disabled.

Keeps the unemployment figures down. That suited the politicians a few years ago, obviously that's changed.

Also as other threads have indicated, the automised, globalised workplace effectively means that many are disabled as there aren't sufficient jobs for their abilities. It's like GATTACA in slow motion - there's fewer roles for the below or even average person to play. Even getting a job at the supermarket checkout is hugely competitive - and the machines are muscling in there too.

Keeps the unemployment figures down. That suited the politicians a few years ago, obviously that's changed.

Also as other threads have indicated, the automised, globalised workplace effectively means that many are disabled as there aren't sufficient jobs for their abilities.

....there are not enough living wage jobs to go round.....anyway I thought sick and disabled people kept people in jobs indirectly.....also keeps the btlers and lenders happy with a regular guaranteed income. ;)

there is no way almost 1 in 10 people of working age is disabled.

Exactly.

If you believe the following: Disability facts and figures then 15% of working age adults and 6% of children are disabled.

For me these figures don't seem to be remotely credible, there must be a huge amount of manipulation going on presumably incentivised by the benefits system.

People I know aspire to be disabled!

Personally I'd quite like to be registered disabled. The DLA would put me on a comfortable income, and the 5 year free bus pass would be a god send. Transport costs are very high now, and there is no point doing some jobs due to excessive transport costs.