House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

The Moon Is Not Made Of Cheese

link

The wind-farm industry received another boost today with a peer reviewed science paper debunking claims that living near wind turbines can make you sick.

The paper is published in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health and it examines the evidence behind the claims.

Its lead author says the movement is based on a single case of a child with learning difficulties, and that there's no medical evidence to back the existence of any new disease.

Link to paper:How the factoid of wind turbines causing ‘vibroacoustic disease’ came to be ‘irrefutably demonstrated’

One less baseless argument for the NIBMY's.

I was a councillor on a planning committee when the application came in for one of the first onshore windfarms and went to visit a site in Norfolk where one was already up.Saw,and probably more importantly heard,no evidence at all of this noise.

I think if you have enough money you can make a scientific study prove anything you want.

Yes, that is a good point.

Think they proved that a lot of work and effort has been wasted on both sides.

Guest eight

One less baseless argument for the NIBMY's.

I am increasingly of the belief that they **** with the weather though.

Sadly this doesn't actually prove anything (or disprove it). All it does is say there isn't any medical evidence.

Sadly this doesn't actually prove anything (or disprove it). All it does is say there isn't any medical evidence.

Unlike the comprehensive medical evidence of the harm done by cheese, and hence that cheesy thing in the night sky.

I wouldn't want a wind farm anywhere near me.

If we want wind farms we can start by putting them in/near to the houses of all the people who support them. The same goes for fracking.

If we want wind farms we can start by putting them in/near to the houses of all the people who support them. The same goes for fracking.

Dirty trick, putting it in the same sentence as fracking.

I'd be happy to have a windfarm nearby. And anyone who objects to a windfarm while at the same time using altogether more harmful mod-cons (especially a car, but even just a washing machine or fridge) is at best a hypocrite.

I'd be happy to have a windfarm nearby. And anyone who objects to a windfarm while at the same time using altogether more harmful mod-cons (especially a car, but even just a washing machine or fridge) is at best a hypocrite.

I would be semi-happy with a windfarm very close nearby (only semi-happy because they're a waste of time). Further than very nearby would be up on the hills somewhere where I definitely wouldn't want them. But I'll happily use mod-cons and would be happy if a nuclear power station was built near me to power them (Adswood is nearby, it would improve it). People who object to windfarms and still use power aren't hypocrites because windfarms are a waste of time.

Frack that. ;)

According to most people the best place to site anything is ...... somewhere away from me.

I view all of these things as part of the greater energy solution (fracking, wind, nuclear) and I agree it is the height of hypocracy to use modern appliances dependent on energy yet refuse to bear any of the negative consequences.

To my mind what is really missing is a fair and equitable way of sharing out the burden equally across the entire population.

I believe some cheese is more harmful than windmills! Obviously I probably would not want a 100 metre high windmill in my garden, but I don't object to seeing them going round in the distance! :huh:

I think that they should build an absolutely gi-normous wind farm over London.

That is where most of the supporters live.

I believe some cheese is more harmful than windmills! Obviously I probably would not want a 100 metre high windmill in my garden, but I don't object to seeing them going round in the distance! :huh:

I bet you wouldn't be so relaxed about it, if it was a 100 metre high cheese.

I am increasingly of the belief that they **** with the weather though.

On what basis? From what I recall you don't believe that 38bn tonne a year addition of Co2 to the atmosphere could affect climate / weather?

I would be semi-happy with a windfarm very close nearby (only semi-happy because they're a waste of time). Further than very nearby would be up on the hills somewhere where I definitely wouldn't want them. But I'll happily use mod-cons and would be happy if a nuclear power station was built near me to power them (Adswood is nearby, it would improve it). People who object to windfarms and still use power aren't hypocrites because windfarms are a waste of time.

Well the French don't think this if the number of wind farms i saw from the Eurostar in northern France this morning was anything to go by. Are the french not big on nuclear too? ;)

Well the French don't think this if the number of wind farms i saw from the Eurostar in northern France this morning was anything to go by. Are the french not big on nuclear too? ;)

The sooner we are not dependent on shady countries with questionable priorities regarding some rights and responsibilities we take for granted in the UK, the better imo. That means more people will have to live closer to some sort of facility which provides them with the benefit of electricity.

UK energy policy ought to be ruthlessly focussed on energy independence for the UK, and on the replacement of fossil fuels within that. Knocking up gas fired stations cause some people signed a petition against this project or that one is bloody stupid.

Now get the Severn dammed up, get those solar arrays and water heating on houses at sensible costs, harness that wind power without subsidies.

There is probably some French equivelant of Tim Yeo on the make from French windfarms.

Some pretty impressive stuff going up with wind at the moment. Drove through Meadow Lake in Indiana a few weeks ago it was massive. London array looks big from the plane as well.

They are getting damn efficient at getting the turbines in.

That 9GW array planned on Dogger Bank is going to look pretty impressive from the air.

A friend of mine has been fighting against a planned wind farm, very close to his house, for almost ten years - nice guy. However, the basis for his objection is his belief that his country pad will become worthless when the turbines go up, and they will. His campaign has pretty much consumed his life and I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his home paying costs.

The sooner we are not dependent on shady countries with questionable priorities regarding some rights and responsibilities we take for granted in the UK, the better imo. That means more people will have to live closer to some sort of facility which provides them with the benefit of electricity.

UK energy policy ought to be ruthlessly focussed on energy independence for the UK, and on the replacement of fossil fuels within that. Knocking up gas fired stations cause some people signed a petition against this project or that one is bloody stupid.

Now get the Severn dammed up, get those solar arrays and water heating on houses at sensible costs, harness that wind power without subsidies.

They are not going to dam the Severn, tidal lagoons are now the thing.