House Price Crash Forum

Nsa Whistleblower Reveals Himself

Tiger Woods?

I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but as time has gone on he has not revealed anything more significant that Binney et al, Cablegate and other leaks already had. What I have found interesting is the faux outrage by countries like Germany when Cablegate had already shown the extent of diplomatic and industrial spying.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but as time has gone on he has not revealed anything more significant that Binney et al, Cablegate and other leaks already had. What I have found interesting is the faux outrage by countries like Germany when Cablegate had already shown the extent of diplomatic and industrial spying.

Me saying I was sceptical of this business from the start sounds smug. However, if you just run over Lee Harvey Snowden's background and think through his supposed path to his decision to make his 'revelations' it just doesn't ring true. Not now, not when this business started.

The fact that his story was so enthusiastically taken up by some corporate media, when other similar stories have not, sealed the deal for me.

edit: In spite of what Tina Turner said, people do seem to need another hero.

I am delighted for Glenn Greenwald though; what with him effectively selling the Snowden material he's sitting on to the Paypal guy and keeping some back for his book deal, the boy's done good for himself.

I thought the only thing we learned from Cablegate is that US helicopter pilots shoot first and ask questions later (which in itself is no huge surprise, though still quite shocking to watch them shoot up a van full of kids and civilians).

I'd entertain the idea of Snowden being a double agent if there seemed to be even the slightest motivation to do so. But what has he achieved?

The US deliberately stirred up a s**t storm with the south Americans grounding presidential planes in order to try to intercept him?

They deliberately embarrassed European allies who initially pretended to be shocked, then had to admit that they knew, then had to admit they were involved, then had to explain themselves in front of MPs.

They deliberately wanted to draw attention to PRISM and the inner workings of the NSA?

They deliberately wanted to open debate on state surveillance?

They deliberately chose someone intelligent and articulate rather than someone who could be easily discredited later?

If you really believe the powers that be had planned to achieve all of this, what on earth for? They just wanted to publicly embarrass themselves and their allies? And if so, why all so elaborate when most of what he has revealed could simply have been released to the press in a controlled manner where they could carefully monitor public reaction to the debate and adjust the output accordingly.

Personally speaking, trying to pin down specific potential ulterior motives behind this Snowden business is a mug's game at this stage. You could whip up dozens that fit what is currently known in the public domain. My scepticism about Snowden stems from his background, the nature of his 'revelations' and his treatment in the corporate media, not because I've constructed a hypothecial narrative of what he's really up to.

However, I'll chuck in just one in an attempt to falsify the suggestion than no credible alternative narratives could exist.

Snowden worked for the CIA before the NSA. To my knowledge the most damning revelation Snowden made about the CIA was that it got someone a little tipsy once to frame them up with a driving offence. Shocking stuff.

The NSA and the CIA are competing agencies within a soupy mess of competing agencies, not a perfectly synchronised, monolithic 'security' structure.

My example of a viable alternative narrative is that Snowden still works for the CIA and the focus of his activities is to dump all over the NSA rather than the US.

There have been several NSA whistle blowers prior to Snowden who have received a fraction of the coverage and notoriety accorded to Snowden. Unfortunately for someone like Russ Tice, he's a bit on the portly side, doesn't have cool specs, would probably be uncomfortable in a Starbucks and doesn't look like he uses an Apple.

• 3 weeks later...

Agents Infiltrate Websites Intending To "Manipulate, Deceive, And Destroy Reputations"

In the annals of internet conspiracy theories, none is more pervasive than the one speculating paid government plants infiltrate websites, social network sites, and comment sections with an intent to sow discord, troll, and generally manipulate, deceive and destroy reputations. Guess what: it was all true.

And this time we have a pretty slideshow of formerly confidential data prepared by the UK NSA equivalent, the GCHQ, to confirm it, and Edward Snowden to thank for disclosing it.

Screenshot3_0.png

screenshot4_0.png

The entire GCHQ slideshow and more details: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-24/conspiracy-theory-true-agents-infiltrate-websites-intending-manipulate-deceive-and-d

I thought the only thing we learned from Cablegate is that US helicopter pilots shoot first and ask questions later (which in itself is no huge surprise, though still quite shocking to watch them shoot up a van full of kids and civilians).

I'd entertain the idea of Snowden being a double agent if there seemed to be even the slightest motivation to do so. But what has he achieved?

The US deliberately stirred up a s**t storm with the south Americans grounding presidential planes in order to try to intercept him?

They deliberately embarrassed European allies who initially pretended to be shocked, then had to admit that they knew, then had to admit they were involved, then had to explain themselves in front of MPs.

They deliberately wanted to draw attention to PRISM and the inner workings of the NSA?

They deliberately wanted to open debate on state surveillance?

They deliberately chose someone intelligent and articulate rather than someone who could be easily discredited later?

If you really believe the powers that be had planned to achieve all of this, what on earth for? They just wanted to publicly embarrass themselves and their allies? And if so, why all so elaborate when most of what he has revealed could simply have been released to the press in a controlled manner where they could carefully monitor public reaction to the debate and adjust the output accordingly.

It's a complex question. A simple answer might be to serve as controlled distraction from other more damaging revelations, e.g. Barrett Brown's revelations as detailed on his Project PM site (he's now serving 100 years sentence for basically being an investigative journalist). Or another hypothesis is contained here, which also sounds highly plausible:

http://willyloman.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/the-missing-motive-of-the-snowden-psyop-cispa-yes-cispa/

GCHQ intercepted webcam images of millions of Yahoo users worldwide

• Optic Nerve program collected Yahoo webcam images in bulk

1.8m users targeted by UK agency in six-month period alone

• Yahoo: 'A whole new level of violation of our users' privacy'

• Material included large quantity of sexually explicit images

The document estimates that between 3% and 11% of the Yahoo webcam imagery harvested by GCHQ contains "undesirable nudity".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

• 2 weeks later...

With surveillance and online privacy now front-and-center in many people's minds, the 2014 SXSW Interactive Festival is hosting a "Virtual Conversation with Edward Snowden" this morning focused on the impact of the NSA's spying efforts on the technology community, and the ways in which technology can help to protect us from mass surveillance. Hear directly from Snowden about his beliefs on what the tech community can and must do to secure the private data of the billions of people who rely on the tools and services that we build.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-10/virtual-conversation-edward-snowden-live-feed

• 4 weeks later...

Metadata monitoring more intrusive than eavesdropping - Snowden

Whistleblower Edward Snowden and journalist Glenn Greenwald joined forces via video link at an Amnesty International event in the US to speak to a packed hotel ballroom about the dangers of government metadata collection.

Both Snowden and Greenwald stated that governmental collection of metadata – that is, monitoring timings of calls, to whom calls were made, and how long they lasted – is much more intrusive than listening in on calls directly.

http://rt.com/news/snowden-greenwald-metadata-amnesty-757/

• 1 month later...

A couple of Snowden related updates which may have passed Snowden devotees by...

DT May 2014: Edward Snowden: I was a spy 'at all levels'

In the interview, taped last week and to air in full on Wednesday, Snowden defended himself against claims minimizing his intelligence experience before he stole and leaked a trove of classified documents revealing the NSA's program of phone and Internet surveillance.
"I was trained as a spy in sort of the traditional sense of the word in that I lived and worked undercover overseas - pretending to work in a job that I'm not - and even being assigned a name that was not mine," he said.

Flashback (2013): What NSA Leaker Edward Snowden Said Four Years Ago About Whistleblowers Might Surprise You

...some of what Ars Technica dredged up might surprise you, in light of his recent actions. On Ars Technica’s public Internet Relay Chat server in 2009 under the username TheTrueHOOHA, Ars reports Snowden writing about his discontent over Obama’s appointment of “a f***ing politician to run the CIA” and saying whistleblowers should be “shot in the balls,” referencing leaks revealed in a New York Times article.

and...

AVClub May 2014: Glenn Greenwald loves Sony, now that they’ve bought the rights to his Edward Snowden book

Like a columnist jumping all over a movie he hasn’t seen, Sony Pictures has pounced on the movie rights to Glenn Greenwald’s new book, No Place To Hide: Edward Snowden, The NSA, And The U.S. Surveillance State.
“I’m very happy to be working with Amy Pascal, Doug Belgrad and the team at Sony Pictures Entertainment, who have a successful track record of making thoughtful and nuanced true-life stories that audiences want to see,” said Greenwald of the same executives he had previously accused of producing “the ultimate hagiography of the most secretive arm of America’s National Security State” when they made Zero Dark Thirty, but now heartily endorses, because they’re giving him lots of money.

Is he missing junk food and baseball? I wonder what would happen if he tried to leave Russia.

Reminds me of that film 'The Man With No Country'. Or is it more like that Hitchcock film where Paul Newman pretends to defect to the Soviet Union but really he is trying to get nuclear secrets. When he gets the secrets he has to try and escape - along with his missus in the form of Julie Andrews.

Reminds me of that film 'The Man With No Country'. Or is it more like that Hitchcock film where Paul Newman pretends to defect to the Soviet Union but really he is trying to get nuclear secrets. When he gets the secrets he has to try and escape - along with his missus in the form of Julie Andrews.

If I were the betting sort I'd wager my fiver on some sort of Answer B.

I just went looking for the Simpsons clip where Bart and Lisa trick Sideshow Bob into blurting out a confession of what he was really up to by accusing him of being not very clever (this episode) but these days YT is largely a Simpsons free zone

edit: I guess we'll have to wait for the true story of former CIA employee Edward Snowden, based on the book written by a journalist who's recently started a $250,000,000 dollar news agency in partnership with a CIA associated billionaire to be filmed by the same production team that worked closely with the CIA in the production of Zero Dark Thirty to find out what's really going on in the NSA.

..and I promise that if and when he or Greenwald release anything of any substance that we didn't already know about, rather than give interviews, I'll link to it pdq.

I knew GCHQ had turned to the internet, when all their short wave radios appeared on ebay, with "Government Property" written on them! You have to use your head!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Berlin's Espionage for NSA Proves Merkel Turned Germany Into US Vassal

Alexander Nau, a member of Germany's lower house of parliament, said that German Chancellor Angela Merkel does not care about the US attitude towards Germany as Merkel believes in the German-American friendship, which is turning Germany into one of the US's vassals.

Recent revelations that German intelligence allegedly spied on European targets at the behest of the US National Security Agency (NSA) shows that German Chancellor Angela Merkel has accepted Germany's transformation from an EU leader to a US puppet, a German lawmaker told Sputnik.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150501/1021599963.html

This is probably worth a thread in its own right.. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Brazil claimed the NSA were doing with their mining industry.

The general public think the NSA are generally "the good guys" and are "only there to stop the bad guys".. yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32542140

Airbus to sue over US-German spying row

Aviation giant Airbus says it will file a criminal complaint over allegations that German intelligence helped the US carry out industrial espionage.

German media reports suggest the country's spy agency BND collected data on European firms at the behest of the US National Security Agency.

An Airbus statement quoted by AFP news agency said it was "alarmed" by the reports but did not want to speculate.

Archived