House Price Crash Forum

Grayling Slams Eu Rules......

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The fact that UKIP didn't have any MPs at the time of the expenses scandal is a definite electoral bonus. Further to that since the original revelations the LibLabCon haven't been able to keep there noses out of the trough. I can see there being ever more aggressive attacks on UKIP running up to the election by LibLabCon.

HOLA446

The fact that UKIP didn't have any MPs at the time of the expenses scandal is a definite electoral bonus. Further to that since the original revelations the LibLabCon haven't been able to keep there noses out of the trough. I can see there being ever more aggressive attacks on UKIP running up to the election by LibLabCon.

Guaranteed. Politics, about power, is a nasty and brutal business, hence the psychopaths rising to the top.

Can see me voting LibLabCon again. Completely tainted and beyond the pale. UKIP will disappoint but the are not the former.

Edited by tinker

HOLA447

Grayling is moaning about the EU requiring more data to be kept, isn't this the party that wants to pass the snoopers charter to keep us safe from "terrorism".

The snoopers charter involves much more of a problem for business, or am I misunderstanding and the proposed EU stuff will interfere with the snoopers charter.

HOLA448

Mr Cameron has promised an “in/out” referendum on Britain’s EU membership, after the renegotiation, to be held before the end of 2017. Mr Freeman said: “If we can build coalitions with other countries and their politicians and business leaders in the run-up to the Prime Minister’s renegotiations, it will only strengthen his hand.

“This way it will not be Britain negotiating against 26 other members of the European Union — but perhaps 12 against 14.”

For sure having a coalition of 12 will come to a worthwhile agreement on policies that matter to the UK and that will benefit the UK - not.

It'll just end up being a mini eu and most likely the UK "leadership" caving in to the demands of the other 11 and diluting the UK's own position on any negotiations. Of course any feeble concessions will be hailed by them as grand victories.

Now that they've had a taste of coalition running things they've become obsessed with the idea as a solve all. It's not really working very well as an example within the UK never mind across different nations.

Edited by billybong

HOLA449
Mr Grayling accused the European Commission of producing ever more complex laws and pursuing a "mad" policy agenda that risks leaving British and European companies unable to compete with their global rivals.

Quite right. We just need more factories like the Bangladeshi one, and Chinese workers' rights, in order to compete with global rivals, and the damned EU won't let us.

Edited by vin rouge

HOLA4410

Quite right. We just need more factories like the Bangladeshi one, and Chinese workers' rights, in order to compete with global rivals, and the damned EU won't let us.

In which case, we and they must REALLY eliminate the debt mountain.

They could start by BANNING mortgages on residential property.

HOLA4411

Grayling is moaning about the EU requiring more data to be kept, isn't this the party that wants to pass the snoopers charter to keep us safe from "terrorism".

The snoopers charter involves much more of a problem for business, or am I misunderstanding and the proposed EU stuff will interfere with the snoopers charter.

William Hague hands over all your data to the US via an open pipe without your (or the ISPs) permission any way if the PRISM revelations are correct.

HOLA4412

Will never vote liblabcon ever again. Ever,

Me too and, I think, a whole lot of other people.

One thing that's really going to play into UKIP's hands is that the next European elections come before the next (expected) general election date. UKIP could easily get the highest vote at the European elections and thus go into the G.E. with the 3 old pillock parties unable to write them off as 'fringe'.

For that reason, I do wonder whether we'll be seeing a snap G.E. this autumn.

HOLA4413

Me too and, I think, a whole lot of other people.

One thing that's really going to play into UKIP's hands is that the next European elections come before the next (expected) general election date. UKIP could easily get the highest vote at the European elections and thus go into the G.E. with the 3 old pillock parties unable to write them off as 'fringe'.

For that reason, I do wonder whether we'll be seeing a snap G.E. this autumn.

The Lib part of the LibLabCon party seems to have gone extremely quiet over the last few weeks (pretend distancing mode?) and the Con part's phony U turn anti eu rhetoric has almost reached crescendo levels in response to UKIP's recent huge success.

Even the Lab part's wheeling out policy announcements by the day.

All sounding like preparations for the possibility of a snap general election.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4414

A lot of people are still under the misconception that the government has some allegiance to the electorate

That is only true at the point at which there is an election looming

Once that is out of the way, the MPs swear their oath of allegiance to the queen, not to the electorate

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Wasn't the power (of the sitting PM) to call snap elections done away with as part of the Coalition agreement in 2010?

It was seen by the Libs as sitting electoral advantage who insisted on 5 year fixed terms being instigated.

As I understand it the next GE will be in May 2015 and not before......

HOLA4417

Wasn't the power (of the sitting PM) to call snap elections done away with as part of the Coalition agreement in 2010?

It was seen by the Libs as sitting electoral advantage who insisted on 5 year fixed terms being instigated.

As I understand it the next GE will be in May 2015 and not before......

Partly correct:

After the Fixed-term Parliament Act was passed on 15 September 2011, the date of the next general election is set as 7 May 2015. The Act provides for general elections to be held on the first Thursday in May every five years. There are two provisions that trigger an election other than at five year intervals:

A motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed

A motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 650)

Before this Act, the duration of a Parliament was set at a maximum of five years, although many were dissolved before that. The decision to call a general election was made by the Prime Minister by asking the Queen to dissolve Parliament.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/elections-faq-page/

So if they decide to get their heads together, they can call one any time. I can imagine all 3 of the old prat parties seeing the benefits of co-operating over that.

HOLA4418

Partly correct:

http://www.parliamen...tions-faq-page/

So if they decide to get their heads together, they can call one any time. I can imagine all 3 of the old prat parties seeing the benefits of co-operating over that.

Maybe not Labour or the Lib Dems may not relish an earlier election......

Still it would not be hard for Cameron to trigger one. He threatens to derail a coalition bill or push thru another bill he knows the Lib Dems would be unable to support.

Lib Dems withdraw from the coalition wiping out the Government majority. All he has to do then is engineer a vote of no confidence which he should automatically lose. Theoretically he could get one of his back benchers to orchestrate it. Labour and the Lib Dems would be duty bound to support a no confidence debate!!

I couldn't see them following any other course.

Of course a sure fire way would be to introduce a bill requiring the requirement for a referendum to be put on the statute. Of course he would never get it through but he would earn a lot of brownie points from waverers for trying.

HOLA4419

A lot of people are still under the misconception that the government has some allegiance to the electorate

That is only true at the point at which there is an election looming

Once that is out of the way, the MPs swear their oath of allegiance to the queen, not to the electorate

I think the only allegiance they have is to their corporate masters and themselves. I don't think UKIP will be any better. In this kind of political climate only the psychopaths can rise to the top.

There were a whole bunch of naive posters on here expecting great things from the Conservatives after the last election - only to realise they aren't any different from the last lot in the ways that count.

HOLA4420

Why people of Poundland want more power to be in the hands of the people in Westminster is beyond me. Do the readers of the tabloids really think the people behind the anti EU rants on the front pages are against the EU because being out will benefit the majority? It won't, it will benefit the slavemasters who want to be free of interference from Brussels so they can get on with making the UK the sweatshop of Europe.

HOLA4421

Why people of Poundland want more power to be in the hands of the people in Westminster is beyond me. Do the readers of the tabloids really think the people behind the anti EU rants on the front pages are against the EU because being out will benefit the majority? It won't, it will benefit the slavemasters who want to be free of interference from Brussels so they can get on with making the UK the sweatshop of Europe.

The Tories are on the horns of a totally insoluble dilemma.In effect their supporters are split between the older UKIP anti gay marriage group and the others.Moving towards one just alienates the others.Cameron is like the tramp who cuts the end off the blanket and sews it on the other end because he has cold feet in bed.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Vote for UKIP and bring fascism to the UK.

Overly dramatic, but that Farage guy is too much of a loose cannon for Westminster...

Farage has pretty much set his stall out for the most right wing group of UK voters comprising the older right wing Tories plus those Labour voters who admired Thatcher and who never migrated back to Labour.Probably comprising 25-30% of the electorate.Cameron meanwhile has decided to slug it out for the centre ground.The reason for this is that it comprises about 60% of the electorate from the Blairites and those slightly to their left who didn't desert New Labour because they thought it might move back leftwards.The trouble is he needs a majority of these to support him to get elected in his own right,about two thirds of them in fact.So if Miliband can hold to 25%+ this won't work,especially after losing boundary changes.That leaves 10-15% on the hard left,disaffected Labour and beard and sandals Libs.Farage therefore is unlikely to make headway under first past the post but holds a perfect spoiling hand.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425