House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

Politicians Should Hang Their Heads In Shame

I just don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see places like this advertised as habitation to rent - never mind at the price being asked!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-26052234.html

'Studio flat' my ar*e! Looks like nothing more than a converted garage?!

OK. I'll grant you it's a very clever and skilful use of limited space. But it is still very limited space and still a garage in someones back garden! Can't be more than 8 foot wide??!!

It must be soul destroying coming home from work to live in that? Regardless of price.

And as for the price? It works out to almost £700 per month! How much, and what sort of job, would a single person need to be able to afford that, pay for food and transport, etc and still have at least, say, just £1000 disposable income left over annually to save (if they desired)???

I say single. Would a couple and their relationship survive being cooped up in that?!

With prices like this being demanded with barely a thought as to whether or not they are unreasonable then I can't see how social collapse isn't that far away in the future if this is what people are expected to have to pay for. I mean.... a prison cell isn't much smaller? comes with its own toilet? Food and heating are provided. With this as housing then, for some, it's understandable why crime really will pay. Get away with it and your better off. Get caught and locked up and your better off! Win-win.

Why, for the life of me, MP's and others concerned just can't 'see' this is beyond me!!

They should should hang their heads in shame that not only did they collectively allow things to come to this but that they aren't spending every waking hour despairing at how to rectify this insane situation.

Edited by anonguest

Council tax included :lol:

Yeah, cos im sure its actually registered for council tax.

At first I thought it was one of those tax free lodger efforts introduced by labour, but theyre capped at £3500 or so. This is nearly £8,000 :blink:

I'm not denying the right of people to voluntarily live in such places, free market, free will and all that jazz.....

It's the fact that it's almost SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS A MONTH! and that's before the poor sod in it has even fed and clothed themselves and commuted to work.

I've already decided, I'm neither laughing or crying........ I'm just f*cking furious at this 'state of affairs'.

Edited by anonguest

Why, for the life of me, MP's and others concerned just can't 'see' this is beyond me!!

They should should hang their heads in shame that not only did they collectively allow things to come to this but that they aren't spending every waking hour despairing at how to rectify this insane situation.

Don't you remember when the expenses scandal came out it turns out lots of MPs are landlords themselves ? They are part of this problem. They ARE the people who rent out sheds for 700 a month.

You act like they are normal people with a normal sense of morality and would let a guilty conscience keep them up at night.

Council tax included :lol:

Yeah, cos im sure its actually registered for council tax.

At first I thought it was one of those tax free lodger efforts introduced by labour, but theyre capped at £3500 or so. This is nearly £8,000 :blink:

Whaddya mean 'nearly' £8000? It works out to £8320 per year!

That place is a disgrace. :angry: Certainly not a 'cool pad' to show off to your mates, this is just depressing. :(

If I recall correctly, some years back another HPC poster started a thread with a similar garage/shed type home and reported it to the local authority. Shortly after, it 'mysteriously disappeared' from the listings. B) I wonder if this place is a legal dwelling? Does it have it's own title?

Meanwhile, I hope those Council Officials in Southall are still busy dealing with all those 'sheds' that popped up in back gardens.

That place is a disgrace. :angry: Certainly not a 'cool pad' to show off to your mates, this is just depressing. :(

If I recall correctly, some years back another HPC poster started a thread with a similar garage/shed type home and reported it to the local authority. Shortly after, it 'mysteriously disappeared' from the listings. B) I wonder if this place is a legal dwelling? Does it have it's own title?

Meanwhile, I hope those Council Officials in Southall are still busy dealing with all those 'sheds' that popped up in back gardens.

If by dealing you mean building more themselves and fiddling the housing benefit claims, then yes.

If you mean getting them demolished, then no.

Quite revealing that it should be located on a street named Tithe Close. Except a tithe is only supposed to be 10% of your income.

Edited by Diver Dan

The depressing thing is that the only people who would live there would be immigrants who will stick it out for a year or two earning what is in zlotys a lot of money before going back to Poland - no English person or person of any origin who is permanently here is going to want to live in the shed for £700 a month. So how can an English person compete with this? It's like a race to the bottom.

Can you imagine being on benefits living in that "cool pad"? I hate to think of the landlord getting £700 from the social for that. I couldn't imagine living in that shed full time. At least there'd be no bedroom tax, eh? Not exactly enough room to bring up 17 children, however. There's always a downside.

There are stories of people on their uppers living in sheds at the bottom of peoples gardens. Likely after WW1 when people were starting to get back on their feet. Likely in those days a kindness and payment probably by helping with the chores or something.

In principle there's nothing wrong with temporarily restricted or even emergency living quarters but as always within the UK it's the price.

If aimed at temporary short stay people for say £20/30 per night near work or transport in emergency then that's one thing (Japanese capsule hotels?) but if £8000+ a year to live in something no bigger than a beach hut out in the burbs at the end of someone's garden is the going price then it just seems crazy and any government following policies that results in that deserves the description of moronic that bankers used for them recently.

Edited by billybong

In fairness, no-one has gone for it so things can't be quite that bad (yet). There's still snow on the ground on the pics so it's been listed for a while.

Were I a single guy and it was close to work and about £3-400/month - I'd seriously consider it for a couple of years while I was saving. I would be a step up from some of the shared houses I stayed in - and the privacy would be good.

The biggest problem is storage. Even assuming a minimalist lifestyle - where do you store clothes? Given the utility bills are included, it's tempting to stick a load of servers in there.

But even in London, much better value can be found elsewhere.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

I doubt very much that shed with a bed is legal in the sense of local council planning and or fire and safety.

wouldn't be much of a sprint for the door though, so that's a good thing...:blink:

As it has all council tax/bills included, it is in effect just a converted garage from the main house. Would this be classed as just renting a room? probably not as it's outside the main house. If it was about £400 a month all in that would be ideal for someone trying to save, with a bit of privacy, but 700 quid!

Edited by motch

In fairness, no-one has gone for it so things can't be quite that bad (yet). There's still snow on the ground on the pics so it's been listed for a while.

Were I a single guy and it was close to work and about £3-400/month - I'd seriously consider it for a couple of years while I was saving. I would be a step up from some of the shared houses I stayed in - and the privacy would be good.

The biggest problem is storage. Even assuming a minimalist lifestyle - where do you store clothes? Given the utility bills are included, it's tempting to stick a load of servers in there.

But even in London, much better value can be found elsewhere.

The ad actually states that it has only just recently come available (from 11th May). So either the pictures are those taken when the place was being prepared for marketing before it was ready to let out, or it was originally marketed a few months back in winter and has just been vacated and is awaiting a new tenant.

I will be trying to keep an eye on this ad to see how quickly it disappears and/or is listed as 'Let Agreed'.

I agree entirely with the point that, for some, either out of desparation/hard times/no alternative or a deliberate lifestyle/personal choice I have no objection to habitation of this class/category existing.

Having some bleeding heart liberal, whose sensibilities are offended at the the mere thought of such primitive dwellings sharing the same city space as their nearby upmarket home, deciding the best way to deal with such issues is just to ban them outright will not solve the housing problem but make it worse.

At the end of the day these places exist because there is a demand for them.

My gripe is that the overall socio-economic situation is such that this demand has risen beyond levels that make them a rarity. The mere complacency, shrugging of shoulders and acceptance of such dwellings as a 'fact of life' by policy makers at such dwellings existing in such numbers is outrageous and is where the true offensiveness lies.

The other gripe is by far and away, as said, the completely mental price. Once again, policy makers merely responding that these places are cheap relative to normal dwellings, and it's London dontcha know, etc. shows just how out of touch they are with the masses struggling to buy enough food for a week!

Edited by anonguest

They really don't know how to market this kind of residential property down your way.

If they had stuck a small conservatory on it it would no longer be a studio flat. It would be a bungalow and be worth over £100k

rightmove

Y

I'm not denying the right of people to voluntarily live in such places, free market, free will and all that jazz.....

No free market in housing, though. The blame for this is entirely with the government.

This is why I hold them to be evil SoBs.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-26052234.html

Just now randomly returning to this depressing thread I see that, after a long period of it apparently being available, its listing has been removed - though I note the absence of the often used 'Let Agreed' green sticker that Rightmove usually(?) places on ads until they are fully removed.

Thus I am left with 'hope' that it was never successfully let out to someone at that price? Perhaps one of the post viewers or repliers did actually 'investigate' this one and 'report' it to TPTB on grounds of, say, council tax registration, etc.

Either way, I make no apologies for using this 'update' as a trivial excuse to bring this particular property related thread to the front page just one last time - as IMHO it deserves to be seen by as many as possible to drive home the lunacy of the present situation vis a vis property affordability in general, and particularly rental. Anyone not shocked by the original ad has simply not grasped the severity of the situation.

I actually know someone who moved into this "flat" in London two weeks ago.

1013031_10151514668028507_633419295_n.jpg

Can we have some interior pics, just the one would probably do. Unless that is just the entrance to some super secret underground bunker that is massive.

To add insult to injury I see the garden owner gets to use the tenants water for his hose. While the tenant may not pay a separate water bill, once the hosepipe ban is in place who gets the fine for using it.

Edited by Ulfar