House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Edanmount

How Much Is A Garden Worth?

I've been looking for somewhere to buy recently and I've noticed a large number of pricing anomalies.

For gardens in particular, a house/flat with one will be on the market for £50k more than one without. And this is in Scotland - somewhere where £150k will buy you a very nice house.

And the gardens are not big gardens - some of them barely have enough space for a bouncing cage style trampoline.

One flat we looked at has been on the market for 3 years and the owner said that the last person to arrange a viewing ( a few months back) didn't come round and when the owner called - they said that they "it didn't have a garden."

My view is that outside space would be nice - but this is Scotland and you won't use it that much at all - maybe to look at when doing the dishes.

Added on to that is the cost of buying gardening tools (lawnmower etc...) and the time you spend working there.

I would have thought that not having a garden would be some kind of bonus - saving you time and money?

I've been looking for somewhere to buy recently and I've noticed a large number of pricing anomalies.

For gardens in particular, a house/flat with one will be on the market for £50k more than one without. And this is in Scotland - somewhere where £150k will buy you a very nice house.

And the gardens are not big gardens - some of them barely have enough space for a bouncing cage style trampoline.

One flat we looked at has been on the market for 3 years and the owner said that the last person to arrange a viewing ( a few months back) didn't come round and when the owner called - they said that they "it didn't have a garden."

My view is that outside space would be nice - but this is Scotland and you won't use it that much at all - maybe to look at when doing the dishes.

Added on to that is the cost of buying gardening tools (lawnmower etc...) and the time you spend working there.

I would have thought that not having a garden would be some kind of bonus - saving you time and money?

When I buy, a garden is going to be very high in my top three priorities. The right garden can keep you fit, give you home grown veg, and is good for your mental health.

not only that you can bury bodies in it..... B)

Sounds like on average, more people agree with wherebee than you if it attracts a premium of £50K. While I wouldn't pay that kind of premium - I am in agreement. It's a essential sanity maintainer - especially if the accommodation is small, you live with others or in a city. The decent sized garden was a strong factor in buying my current place - and I'd actually prefer a bigger one.

The other thing a garden does it allow you to extend the house in some cases.

A garden is worth more than 50k to me. Its your own outside land and you can grow tree's/plants/veg and make it secluded. Put up a shed, store whatever you want in it. Sit in the sun knowing you won't be disturbed etc. I'd rather have a garden than an extra bedroom and that extra bedroom seems to go for £50 to £100k where I live.