House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LiveinHope

Stretched Acl And Hamstring Tendonitis

I know there are some runners on here.

So, I finally have a diagnosis, it's taken 5 years to find the right doctor, but I'm happy now to know at least. I have only pursued this 'on and off'.

I probably have a 'lax' ACL (diagnosed by Lachman's test' - nothing of note on an MRI to indicate damage), which means that my hamstring is stabilizing my knee to some degree.

In practice this means that for the last 5 years, running more than 2 miles or walking more than 8 miles brings on tendonitis in my outside hamstring that gives severe pain behind the knee, causing the knee muscles to spasm and the knee to lock quite rapidly after the onset of pain - usually with 100 m. Once this has occurred it takes about 2-3 days to regain mobility of my knee. It's very reproducible.

My work involves being active so its a bit of a nuisance and it will prevent me doing somethings in case I become a liability and would require an 'airlift'.

Anyone had similar and found a solution. Surgery is not an option as the ACL is intact and the joint is good.

I am aware of neoprene supports, but I am looking more for a physiotherapy solution that will solve the problem.

Deosn't sound like a running injury to me, more like football and stuff where you have to twist your knees alot.

In fact I don't think running hurts the ACL unless you stumble and twist the knee badly.

Shin splints are my main problem. Knees are OK now I lost weight.

Can they tighten it up ? I guess they would have to slice it up, maybe remove a section and then put it back together ?

So, I finally have a diagnosis, it's taken 5 years to find the right doctor, but I'm happy now to know at least. I have only pursued this 'on and off'.

I probably have a 'lax' ACL (diagnosed by Lachma's test' - nothing of note on an MRI to indicate damage), which means that my hamstring is stabilizing my knee to some degree.

In practice this means that for the last 5 years, running more than 2 miles or walking more than 8 miles brings on tendonitis in my outside hamstring that gives severe pain behind the knee, causing the knee muscles to spasm and the knee to lock quite rapidly after the onset of pain - usually with 100 m. Once this has occurred it takes about 2-3 days to regain mobility of my knee. It's very reproducible.

My work involves being active so its a bit of a nuisance and it will prevent me doing somethings in case I become a liability and would require an 'airlift'.

Anyone had similar and found a solution. Surgery is not an option as the ACL is intact and the joint is good.

I am aware of neoprene supports, but I am looking more for a physiotherapy solution that will solve the problem.

Sounds familiar. I have knee pain right side, kind of inside knee after running 1-2km. Distance has become shorter over the years. MRI came back as nothing to note, other than wear and tear of cartilage.

Got orthopedic appointment next week. Given up self diagnosis and treatment. Will take their advice.

Guest unfunded_liability

I probably have a 'lax' ACL (diagnosed by Lachma's test' - nothing of note on an MRI to indicate damage), which means that my hamstring is stabilizing my knee to some degree.

The ACL is one of the more difficult knee ligaments to work with and heal. I was "lucky" enough to grade-2 tear my MCL 3 months ago, it took 6 weeks to get me jogging on a treadmill and am now running again at full speed although careful not to aggravate it with rapid side movements, and I'm not even thinking about returning to martial arts for at least another six months. The Physio told me it can take up to a year for immature ligament tissue to fully harden and mature.

What I did learn from my injury is that apparently muscle strength can greatly assist in helping support the knee and preventing further injury. Prior to my MCL I'd only excercised my legs by running and burpees thinking that was enough. I now weight train my legs using machines at a local gym and feel a lot better for it. So maybe strength training will help support your knee and prevent further injury. From what I've read ACL & PCL operations are complicated and can sometimes make things worse.

The ACL is one of the more difficult knee ligaments to work with and heal. I was "lucky" enough to grade-2 tear my MCL 3 months ago, it took 6 weeks to get me jogging on a treadmill and am now running again at full speed although careful not to aggravate it with rapid side movements, and I'm not even thinking about returning to martial arts for at least another six months. The Physio told me it can take up to a year for immature ligament tissue to fully harden and mature.

What I did learn from my injury is that apparently muscle strength can greatly assist in helping support the knee and preventing further injury. Prior to my MCL I'd only excercised my legs by running and burpees thinking that was enough. I now weight train my legs using machines at a local gym and feel a lot better for it. So maybe strength training will help support your knee and prevent further injury. From what I've read ACL & PCL operations are complicated and can sometimes make things worse.

Yes, I think muscle strength will be important. The quadriceps aren't bad at the moment because they get a lot of use, but there is always room for improvement,

My ACL is fine, no signs of damage, its just letting the knee extend forwards more than it should with each stride, which means that the hamstring tendon is acting as the stop and getting overstretched to the point where, after continued stress, it complains painfully and my knee locks up.

So I need to find a way to stop it complaining.

I've been given some hamstring exercises to do, but I just wondered if anyone here had similar and found a remedy.

My work involves me sitting on a chair, and surfing the internet all day! I ave back problems instead!! :huh:

Do you have a decent chair ?

The Health and Safety people are very keen on that! One of my colleagues has been on the waiting list for two years! ;)

Try a Hag Balans chair - I've used them for years and I'm still in one piece! :D

Sorry, tried to insert an image, but the board just won't have it!!

But, but, they're ONLY for hags...

not to be flippant, but I do have tendon problems, and a bad back! ~~I thought being "old" would be more fun! ;)

Sounds like your hamstring is getting tighter and tighter as you use it. Therefore perhaps a lot of stretching of the muscle will help ?

Have a Google there are lots of options. There is one i do a lot where you basically just put your legs straight up against wall whilst lying on your back. Easy to do and really helps to ease them out.

Sounds familiar. I have knee pain right side, kind of inside knee after running 1-2km. Distance has become shorter over the years. MRI came back as nothing to note, other than wear and tear of cartilage.

Got orthopedic appointment next week. Given up self diagnosis and treatment. Will take their advice.

I am sure they will do a Lachman's test, which was conclusive in my case. ACL shows no damage on the MRI but Lachman's indicates that it is allowing over extension of the knee, which means that the hamstring tendon is acting as the 'stop'. So with each stride, especially down hill, the hamstring tendon gets stressed until eventually it exudes prostaglandins, tells me it hurts, cause the knee muscles to spasm, the knee to lock and me to hobble.

I also have tenderness on the outside of the head of the fibula. If you press there it 'hurts' a bit, which is where the hamstring tendon attaches.

This has been puzzling me for 5 years and probably longer. So a diagnosis is great. Now what I need is to find a way to prevent the occurrence' as you never know how a strenuous hike over 8 miles will end - Pain free or with an inflexible, very painful leg. And the distances before it appears are getting shorter.

Sounds like your hamstring is getting tighter and tighter as you use it. Therefore perhaps a lot of stretching of the muscle will help ?

Have a Google there are lots of options. There is one i do a lot where you basically just put your legs straight up against wall whilst lying on your back. Easy to do and really helps to ease them out.

Hadn't thought of that option. The ACL is allowing over extension and the tendon is getting stretched as it prevents this over extension.

Lengthening the hamstring may well reduce tension on the tendon by allowing the over extension to the point when the ACL comes into play before the hamstring tendon.

I would also maybe have a look at stretches for your ITB and his flexors. I find these can often get very tight and can lead to issues further down the leg. There Gtpwa great hip opener from yoga called half pigeon - but be careful with the knees.