House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

U.k. Warns On China Security Risk

If there are hidden holes in this equipment why haven't the hackers found it?

http://www.informationweek.co.uk/hardware/data-centers/huawei-faces-uphill-battle-in-enterprise/240155488

If you're looking for a smoking gun -- either a provable case where "back doors" in Chinese networking gear have led to pilfered intellectual property, or an outage created through misappropriated command and control of the network gear -- you won't find one. Nor was it ever likely that you would. If intentional back doors exist, cybersecurity experts agree they would be made to look like poor programming.

The problem with such planned weaknesses is that they would be there for anyone to use. And a lot of this gear goes into the networks of countries that are better friends with China than they are with the U.S. So exactly how well would such back doors serve Chinese interests? Now, if the U.S. were to find different firmware in Huawei or ZTE equipment destined for Chinese markets or those of its friends than what's intended for other networks, that would amount to a smoking gun. At least it would be cause for even more vehement statements and restrictions than are in place today.

Is Huawei equipment more "hackable" than anyone else's such as netgear etc?

Is it just me or does this article sound like something from the archives of history?

Why should we be concerned if something happens to be made by a company of Chinese origin any more than one from the USA... or the UK for that matter?

Companies transcend boarders and states are looking ever more archaic. That doesn't stop the latter spewing propaganda and FUD about made up enemies on the other side of imaginary lines, but I'm surprised so many still take it seriously.

Edited by Traktion

Guys, it's not about borderless corporations, or script kiddies..

Chinese companies have been found producing on-board chips in manufacture.

At leas the US (Harris Corp.) is looking for these threats.

Do we try and hack China's I.T?

If not why not?

In answer, because we don't produce the hardware, chipsets etc. which come with nasties..

Sorry about the double-video in my post above, but I cannot modify my posts for some reason.

Guys, it's not about borderless corporations, or script kiddies..

Chinese companies have been found producing on-board chips in manufacture.

At leas the US (Harris Corp.) is looking for these threats.

I'm sure Microsoft and Intel have got various back doors too. Do I trust them more because they are based in the US instead of China? Nope.

That video is so stuffed full of FUD and propaganda, it is hard to know where to start.

In answer, because we don't produce the hardware, chipsets etc. which come with nasties..

Sorry about the double-video in my post above, but I cannot modify my posts for some reason.

'We' produce plenty of widely used software though, especially if 'we' includes the USA.

It's probably no surprise that China is encouraging Linux (and open source software in general) adoption.

Why should we be concerned if something happens to be made by a company of Chinese origin any more than one from the USA... or the UK for that matter?

Companies transcend boarders and states are looking ever more archaic. That doesn't stop the latter spewing propaganda and FUD about made up enemies on the other side of imaginary lines, but I'm surprised so many still take it seriously.

The company in question is effectively part of the Chinese state so your incomprehension is naive.

What with Chinese cyber criminals and Romanian ATM criminals pretty soon we're going to need a war.

Fortunately nobody under 25 has a job anymore so there ought to be plenty of interest.

The company in question is effectively part of the Chinese state so your incomprehension is naive.

And the Chinese state is evil and the UK/USA states are all virtuous and nice? Remind me which of the three are currently involved in multiple wars around the world?

And the Chinese state is evil and the UK/USA states are all virtuous and nice? Remind me which of the three are currently involved in multiple wars around the world?

I didn't suggest anything of the sort, merely that this is not an example of the pre-eminence of corporations over states.