HOLA441

Help me find the right place to relocate to:

Retired couple

£400,000 but could go up to £500,000

Minimum 3 bedrooms

Minimum 150 square metres.

A garden or courtyard

Safe parking for visiting family and friends

Located a maximum 45 minutes drive from Nailsea (grandchildren)

In a desirable, safe location

Within 15 minutes drive of Marks and Spencers

Within 10 minute drive of a major supermarket

Within 10 minutes drive of a members golf club

Not in a city centre

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I suggest Tinsley in Sheffield.

A short walk from the Meadowhall shopping centre which has Marks and lots, lots more. Tesco, Asda, Morrisons Aldi and Lidl all within 10 minutes drive. The excellent Phoenix golf course is within 15 minutes walk - it used to be a waiting list to get in but I understand things are much easier now. The driving range is competitively priced.

If you are grey and fit there are squash courts there. If not, there are two cricket pitches with excellent teams and good facilities for people who want to watch. When the money runs out there is a municipal course not too far away. It's important to think long term, don't you agree?

It's a good area - all the pubs have run out of customers and closed so no rowdy behaviour. There's a nice church at the top of the hill and a mosque at the bottom. All solidly built properties, most of which missed the 1942 bombings.

It's a bit more than the required distance from the grandsprogs but with the money you will save on property, you could spend the remaining £420k on private helicopter flights to see them. Easy access to M1 J34 if you prefer to drive.

There's a sports field nearby which used to have a big H painted on it and I'm sure you can do the groundsman a deal to freshen it up.

Edited by Stainless Sam

HOLA445
HOLA446

You're retired... but don't have the time to do your own research ?

Perhaps he's like the famous Lord Cardigan.

OK more helpfully it's a bit more than 45 minutes drive from Nailsea but I'd look at East Devon/West Dorset coast area, or even Teignmouth/Dawlish, it's in your interest to have somewhere grandkids will be happy to come to, and a beach is often a big help with that....

Avoid clifftop properties in that area though. :-)

Edited by swissy_fit

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Weston Super Mare seems to tick all the boxes but there are lots of blogs slating the place.

Is there anyone here who can offer any honest objective views on WSM?

Great place to live when you're 18, as I did, not sure I'd want to live there now, but it's probably better than Nailsea ;) .

If you want to be a bit more sophisticated head towards Cheddar, Axbridge, Wedmore, as per he property I sugested, or if you fancy being a bit more on the frontier, like me, come round the coast to the Quantocks.

Is 15 mins from an M&S really a deal breaker ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

If you want to be a bit more sophisticated head towards Cheddar, Axbridge, Wedmore, as per he property I sugested, or if you fancy being a bit more on the frontier, like me, come round the coast to the Quantocks.

I did suggest Wells but the 'boss' didn't like the drive there from Nailsea on winding 'B' roads!

HOLA4413

It's not so much that we need to be close to M&S. It's just the case that M&S choose to locate in proximity to M&S (type) customers.

:lol::lol:

Fantastic post, in the true sense of the word.

Only in England..........

I suggest you look at Exeter, they have a John Lewis now so the area must be full of the "right kind of people".

HOLA4414

I did suggest Wells but the 'boss' didn't like the drive there from Nailsea on winding 'B' roads!

Not sure Wells has an M&S.

Although Weston has an M&S and a Waitrose, which shares it's carpark with Asda !

I still recommend the property I showed you earlier, and unlike Kirsty, I only charge 1% finders fee. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Try wrington or axbridge or even chew magna or blagdon. Clevedon and portishead are ok in parts. Or wild card option - Stroud valleys - minchinhampton or nailsworth. Tetbury also good .

Thanks. Someone else suggested Portishead. What type of people live in Portishead?

HOLA4417

Try wrington or axbridge or even chew magna or blagdon. Clevedon and portishead are ok in parts. Or wild card option - Stroud valleys - minchinhampton or nailsworth. Tetbury also good .

With those village type locations I'd be a little worried that it might take years to 'fit in'.

HOLA4418

Thanks. Someone else suggested Portishead. What type of people live in Portishead?

I'd only live in Portishead if you had a decent view of the 'sea'.

Houses have small gardens, generally on a slope, you pay premium price as it's Bristol commuter area. If you haven't got the sea view it's just a bog standard town.

I stand by my recommendation.

HOLA4419

I'm sure if you can find 5 maps of the Southwest on Google and overlay them on each other, the answer to your vexing conundrum will come to you.

1. Daily Mail sales in the South West.

2. UKIP popularity.

3. Average income per household.

4. Proportion of immigrants.

5. Percentage unemployment.

By the way I distinctly remember there being an M@S in Swindon, which is a bit of a sh1thole by most people's standards, so I'm not sure the M@S theory works.

HOLA4420

2. UKIP popularity.

I like it, I like it a lot . . . .if I could find the answer to those questions, I would find my home.

HOLA4421

Not sure Wells has an M&S.

Although Weston has an M&S and a Waitrose, which shares it's carpark with Asda !

I still recommend the property I showed you earlier, and unlike Kirsty, I only charge 1% finders fee. ;)

A Waitrose will open shortly in Wells. Lovely city overall and I honestly don't understand the comment on winding B-roads to get to Nailsee. That is a pretty OK-ish road for the area.

ps) I wouldn't compare Portishead, Weston-Supermare to Wells. Completely different types of city. Moreover watch traffic at rushour for anything in easy commuting distance from Bristol.

HOLA4422

I'm sure if you can find 5 maps of the Southwest on Google and overlay them on each other, the answer to your vexing conundrum will come to you.

2. UKIP popularity.

Can you expand on this? I would like NIL for 1, LOW for 2, AVERAGE for 3, I don't really care about 4, and LOW for 5. If such a place exists, please tell me and I will move there immediately.

It also must be at least 15 minutes away from the nearest M&S ;)

HOLA4423

I suggest looking at Wells too. Google says it's 50 minutes from Nailsea if you go via the A371/A38. Yes, even the A roads are a bit windy, but if you want to live somewhere nice then something has to give :) Wells has a golf club (http://wellsgolfclub.webs.com/). No M&S, but as someone else said, Waitrose opens in July. There's also a Tesco and Morrisons (brand new, a nicer store than Tesco), a small, independent cinema, and lots of cafes/restaurants if you like that sort of thing. Wells is pretty quiet and I have no problem walking around there at night.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425